Mount TBR 2016 discussion

Level 1: Pike's Peak (12 Books) > Carol's first peak 2016

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Mar 29, 2016 06:43AM) (new)

Carol | 17 comments Isaac's Storm A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson I finally started. I had to finish some library books that came in on my hold list. But I finished Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. I really like his books. I read this during the blizzard in the D.C. area so I appreciated the history of the weather bureaus and the impact of big storms. Of course D.C. is crippled when there is a two inch storm! Wish I had read this before visiting Galveston several years ago.
Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments The Looming Tower Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright
Finally...another book to add. A book club I'm in selected it and I had bought it years ago. Excellent, thorough telling of history to explain the generation of al-Qaeda.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments Galileo's Daughter A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith and Love by Dava Sobel

And another that I half listened to, half read. It was "okay." I'm a science person but I found it a little dry for me. It did cause me to purchase another book to learn more about astronomy/physics so I can get a better view of the history of how these brilliant people figured this all out!!! Appalling that it took the church to the 1970's to "validate" him. Nice that the new Pope understands the influence of science.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments The Painter by Peter Heller I read The Painter by Peter Heller. I enjoyed it and will read "The Dog Stars." Good writing with character development and a mystery.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments The Martian by Andy Weir
Listened to this from Audible. I am not a science fiction fan but I liked it, didn't love it. It was fairly suspenseful the whole way through and I appreciated the humor.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2) by Harper Lee

I give it two stars although I agree from a panel at the Mississippi book fair that this was a first draft and should never have been published. It doesn't affect my love for To Kill a Mockingbird at all.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

whoo-hoo, over the hump. I didn't LOVE this book the way others did. The writing reminded me of a made for TV Lifetime movie.

message 8: by Carol (last edited May 09, 2016 03:02PM) (new)

Carol | 17 comments Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín Nora Webster

Well...another book I thought was "okay." I really liked Brooklyn, so I thought I would like this more than I did.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

I gave this four stars but I may have to go back and give it five. I really did enjoy it. It was very thought provoking and well done. I listened to it and the narrator was excellent. I will definitely read more of his books.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
Found it boring. Didn't learn much about Frank Lloyd Wright. I really have a hard time with the concept of leaving your children for a man so she lost me there. Wouldn't wish what happened to her on anybody though. I prefer books by Erik Larson where you really learn something about the time and people. I owned this in paperback and audible. Would never have gotten through it without the audible. So glad for this group. It motivates me to get through some of these books and get them off my list.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane Carol wrote: "Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
Found it boring. Didn't learn much about Frank Lloyd Wright. I really have a hard time with the concept of leaving your children for a man so she lost me there. Woul..."

I've tried to start this one before and also found it boring. I thought it was just me. Maybe this is one I don't need to read.

message 12: by Carol (last edited Jun 02, 2016 09:31PM) (new)

Carol | 17 comments Jane wrote: "Carol wrote: "Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
Found it boring. Didn't learn much about Frank Lloyd Wright. I really have a hard time with the concept of leaving your children for a man so she lost ..."

Yeah, toss it and it still counts in your list! It is one TBR that you've either read or at least started on and gave it a chance and then made a decision to move on.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Definitely enjoyed this one. I listened to it and the narrator was wonderful. Gave me a lot of insight into an African's perspective of perceived race in our country. Several Africans here at work are going to read it and discuss it with me. I had also enjoyed her other book, "Half of a Yellow Sun." She is a good writer.

message 14: by Carol (last edited Aug 26, 2016 09:02AM) (new)

Carol | 17 comments The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

Being a nurse, I loved this book. Very well written. I look forward to reading his next book, "Gene." I listened to it on Audible and the narrator was very good.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 17 comments Hey, I didn't realize that I had already finished this peak!!! Whoop whoop! I have another one to add so I guess I'll start on the next one even though I doubt I'll make it. I've read a lot of books this year because I'm in three book clubs so it was hard trying to squeeze in my TBRs!

message 16: by Bev (new)

Bev | 715 comments Mod
Carol: Congratulations! You've done great considering your book club reads!