Our Shared Shelf discussion

Book Suggestions > Books on Sexism in Religion

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The Bible hahaha

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

message 3: by Some (new)

Some  Girl (bahahahaha) | 3 comments I want to read When God Was A Woman, thanks for the suggestion! Good discussion topic also :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Some wrote: "I want to read When God Was A Woman, thanks for the suggestion! Good discussion topic also :)"

I love the book, it's amazing, you'll like it!

message 5: by Agustin (last edited Feb 23, 2016 07:45AM) (new)

Agustin | 223 comments Elena wrote: "The Bible hahaha"

And the Quran. It's not just sexist, but incredibly misogynystic.

message 6: by Concetta (new)

Concetta | 13 comments Women and Self-Sacrifice in the Christian Church, McFarland & Company, 2003. It's written by a femal anthropologist ,who concentrated her work on sexism and religion!

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Meadows | 16 comments Hi Hailey!

I am currently in seminary pursuing my Master's in Divinity and I work for an organization that is affiliated with a major protestant denomination who has the specific mandate to work for the full inclusion of women in the full life of the church. We ordain women in the denomination I am part of, but women all too often face a lot of sexism in the pulpit.

One of my co-workers suggests reading “Tyrannical Texts” by Gench and“Unprotected Texts” by Jennifer Knust.

If you are wanting to look at scripture (which of course is filled with tons of misogyny since women are either whores or virgins) I'd highly recommend reading it alongside the Women's Commentary. These theologians write an exegesis that gives women a fair voice. For example, Bathsheba wasn't trying to tempt David. Rather, she was practicing the Jewish purity rituals a Jewish woman would need to do after her menstrual cycle. It's not her fault that David's kingdom resides on the top of the slope and is looking down at Bathsheba just doing her business...and there's this whole power dynamic going on.

Looking at Judges, you start off with a strong woman such as Deborah, leading a troop into battle and WINNING that battle. But we end Judges with the Levite's concubine where the woman is cut up into multiple pieces and her body parts are sent to different tribes of Israel. Denis Olson, an Old Testament professor at Princeton, points out how this shows that the worse women are treated in the story, the worse society is and the farther away the society is from God.

I'd also highly recommend reading some of the gnostic texts that were left out of the bible about strong women. The Gospel of Mary depicts Mary Magdalene as the disciple to the disciples. She was their spiritual leader. Thecla and the Acts of Thecla and Paul are also really amazing. Thecla baptizes herself with fire, wards off rapid seal-like creatures and spreads the gospel like wildfire. However, her story is completely silenced in the Bible.

Two of my favorite theologians are feminist theologian Rosemary Radford Ruether and womanist theologian Karen Baker-Fletcher. I highly recommend Baker-Fletcher's "Dancing with God" where she breaks down the trinity from a womanist perspective.

I went on and on and I apologize for being overbearing. I get really excited about talking about sexism and feminism in relation to religion. I hope your independent study goes well and I would really love hearing more about it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Agustin wrote: "Elena wrote: "The Bible hahaha"

And the Quran. It's not just sexist, but incredibly misogynystic."

Islam is the (500 years) retarded brother of Christianism. So, I kind of put them in the same box haha.

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Meadows | 16 comments Hailey wrote: "Thank you so much!"

One more from a co-worker: “Heart of Flesh” by Joan Chittister.

message 10: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments Elena wrote: "Agustin wrote: "Elena wrote: "The Bible hahaha"

Islam is the (500 years) retarded brother of Christianism. So, I kind of put the..."

Sure, but Christianity is based on the Bible while Islam is based on the Quran, they're two similar yet different religions based on different books (the Quran is way younger than the Bible, and more barbaric).

message 11: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments Hailey wrote: "Thank you so much!"

You're welcome :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Agustin wrote: "Elena wrote: "Agustin wrote: "Elena wrote: "The Bible hahaha"

Islam is the (500 years) retarded brother of Christianism. So, I k..."

Sure, sure... But they do more or less the same shit, so... Anyway they don't follow what the books say so they're kind of irrelevant in some way.

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara | 5 comments God Wears Lipstick and Jesus Feminist are a great start! I study the intersection between the two, so if you would like specific religions/spiritualities, or more in general to look into, let me know! I would love to help provide resiurces.

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara | 5 comments I also Second Dancing with God, and I would add Sexuality and the Black Church by Kelly Brown Douglas and Too Heavy a Yoke by Dr. Chanequa Walker-Barnes

message 15: by Tara (new)

Tara | 5 comments Into the Pulpit is also a great work on specifically Baptist female life and the journey from exclusion to inclusion, as well as how far we have to go.

message 16: by Em (new)

Em Goodlife (ettaee) I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban - Nonficiton - A teenage girl's struggle for education against radical Islam.

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Fiction - I tried to get through this book, but it is incredibly painful. The abuse is intense. But, even without finishing it, I learned a lot. The book illuminates how domestic abuse is supported by the Islamic government, giving women no hope of escape.

message 18: by Lesley (new)

Lesley I was recommended Women, Church & State.
I haven't read it yet but when I do I'll post here my review of it.

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani I haven't read it yet but I've been meaning to read Yentl's Revenge it's about a modern wave feminism focused on Judaism. As a Jewish feminist, I felt this necessary for my collection :)

message 20: by Deka (new)

Deka Gedleh | 9 comments As a Muslim woman you should read Inside the Gender Jihad: Women's Reform in Islam - Amina Wadud

message 21: by Felicia (new)

Felicia (feliciajoe) But seriously, read the Bible and the Quran. It'll give you a better insight when you're studying religion, to know the scriptures religious people refer to - rather than depending on what people say is or isn't in these books.

message 22: by Robert (last edited Apr 17, 2017 08:24AM) (new)

Robert (robertwkessler) | 62 comments You might enjoy reading The Rise of Christianity by Rodney Stark. The author discusses those factors that resulted in Christianity flourishing and becoming a global movement as it did.

It may be surprising to some, but one of the driving forces was an audacious sort of feminism that really shook up the Roman socio-political systems in the 3rd and 4th century. Christianity gained a lot of favor among women because Christian women held much higher social status than did women in the Greco-Roman world at large. Christian doctrines also prohibited forced infanticide, protected women from divorces (loss of societal protection and standing) at their husband's whims, and provided for older widows (also otherwise at-risk in society). Women made up the majority of the 3-4th century church and influenced social practices to a remarkable degree.

The book includes a lot of interesting commentary on the interplay of sexes/roles during that time. Stark is Professor of Sociology and Comparative Religion at the University of Washington.

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1085 comments Mod
Came here to recommend Sister Joan Chittister. Glad to see she was represented already.

"Being a Buddhist Nun" by Kim Gutschov to offer another perspective.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather Burdette Quinn (heatherbquinn) | 1 comments Not sure if it's really what you're looking for, but A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans is an at turns witty, at turns deeply heartfelt look at what the Bible says about being female.

message 25: by Robert (last edited Apr 25, 2017 09:09AM) (new)

Robert (robertwkessler) | 62 comments Heather wrote: "Not sure if it's really what you're looking for, but A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans is an at turns witty, at turns deeply heartfelt look at what the Bible says about being female."

Oh, good book! I heard RHE speak at a lecture series a few years ago and was very impressed. Good recommendation Heather.

A couple of easy reads that give similar reflections on living scripture (though from a Jewish/Christian perspective) are Lauren Winner's "Mudhouse Sabbath" and "Girl Meets God." I was excited to see Winner is now teaching at Duke Divinity School (arguably the most esteemed seminary in the USA).

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments Humankind, in his imperfection, doesn't understand perfect words and perfect ideas, which were originally transmitted by "prophets" or enlightened beings (if you know what I mean) . That' s why religion is more often used as a way of control rather than an opportunity to tolerance and equality.

message 27: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1085 comments Mod
Hi Hailey!

Wanted to circle back to see how your independent studies is going/ went.

message 28: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Thiery | 8 comments I just finished it and was looking on which discussion I should tell about this book, and so I found this one.
It's an incredible book, in which female Moroccan speak about their culture, their religion, and how does this have affected their lives as woman. It's a wonder and such a powerful book. I think everyone will learn a lot about Islam and sex,by reading it.
Sadly it's a french-moroccan autor so I don't think that the book came out anywhere else as France. It is entitled "Sexe et mesonges: la vie sexuelle au Maroc". Word for word it would be "Sex and Lies : The sexual life in Morocco" .

message 29: by Vicki (last edited Jan 24, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

Vicki | 8 comments Elizabeth Schussler Fiorenza. Also do a search on womanist theology. If you're interested in *western* religion in particular, don't neglect the work of Mary Beartd. She wrote a huge book on ancient Rome (title: SPQR). She's also recently published a manifesto called "Women & Power". She demonstrates that misogyny is very intrinsic in western culture, going all the way back to Homer's Odyssey and classical myths.