You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

117 views
Off Topic Chat > What tv shows are you watching and enjoying

Comments Showing 1-50 of 165 (165 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments What do you think of all these books/comics to tv show adaptations? I have been watching the 100 and shadowhunters recently and plan to watch Jessica Jones soon. Any recommendations of any shows you've been watching and enjoying?


message 2: by Lisa (last edited Feb 22, 2016 10:49AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I really love 'Outlander'. I have watched Series 1 twice already and I would even go as far as saying it's my favourite tv show ever. I love everything about it, the acting, music, scenery, costumes, etc. It's also pretty faithful to the book and any changes that have been made work well IMO. Series 2 starts in April and I can't wait!


message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I enjoyed the following book -> tv series - Dexter, True Blood, Game of Thrones, first season of Under the Dome, Wayward Pines.


message 4: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Lisa wrote: "I really love 'Outlander'. I have watched Series 1 twice already and I would even go as far as saying it's my favourite tv show ever. I love everything about it, the acting, music, scenery, costume..."

I've been debating whether or not I wanted to watch this series I only read the first book years ago maybe I'll give it a reread and try the rest of the series. The books are just so long.


message 5: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Sarah wrote: "I enjoyed the following book -> tv series - Dexter, True Blood, Game of Thrones, first season of Under the Dome, Wayward Pines."

I lost interest in True blood the last season and still need to finish the books. For some reason i just couldn't get into the Game of thrones series but I plan to get back into the books.


message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Delitealex wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I really love 'Outlander'. I have watched Series 1 twice already and I would even go as far as saying it's my favourite tv show ever. I love everything about it, the acting, music, sce..."

Yes, the books are very long. Like you, I have only read the first one so far but I am planning on continuing with the series. I have Books 2, 3 and 4 sitting on my TBR pile. I will probably reread 'Outlander' and then read 'Dragonfly in Amber' before I watch Series 2 of the show.


message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49944 comments I love The Game of Thrones, which reminds me, I have Season Three waiting to be watching. I'm reading the books before I watch the series, so I'd better get reading!


message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I love The 100 :) I have not read it but the TV show is great...I have a lot of TV series that I enjoy but am a little far behind this season as I've been wanting to read more than watch TV. Of course I'm caught up on the 100 though :)


message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Oh and Shadowhunters I am most likely going to give up on since they way over sexualized Izzy's character and the actress playing Clary..well her acting is not good. I really liked the actress that played Clary in the movie better.


message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (cropchoc) | 1 comments Currently watching Castle and started Season 3. It's so lovely, funny, intense, smart and great that I must admit it's one of the best series I've watched (and I've watched a lot).

Definitley worth a try-


message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Cropchoc wrote: "Currently watching Castle and started Season 3. It's so lovely, funny, intense, smart and great that I must admit it's one of the best series I've watched (and I've watched a lot).

Definitley wor..."


Welcome to YLTO, Cropchoc!


message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49944 comments Welcome Thomas! :)


message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I've tried watching Shadowhunters and agree with others, too sexualised it's ridiculous.

I've recently started re-watching 'Once Upon a Time' about fairytale characters who are under a curse in our world, and it switches between their world and our. It's great =]

I'm only on season 1 again (watching through Netflix) but I believe they've done 5 seasons.

I've also been watching the first season of Mr Selfridge, it's quite interesting.


message 14: by Chandler (new)

Chandler Brett (chandlerbrett) Colony.

It's interesting to see Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies together. Carlton Cuse (LOST) has another hit on his hands.


message 15: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Thomas wrote: "Currently watching Castle and started Season 3. It's so lovely, funny, intense, smart and great that I must admit it's one of the best series I've watched (and I've watched a lot).

Definitley wor..."


Castle is one of my faves I definitely need to get caught up.


message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "I've tried watching Shadowhunters and agree with others, too sexualised it's ridiculous.

I've recently started re-watching 'Once Upon a Time' about fairytale characters who are under a curse in ou..."


I watched the first two series of 'Once Upon ATime', Sarah. I really loved it but then Channel 5 stopped airing it and I haven't yet gotten around to catching up with it on Netflix.


message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I also watch Castle and love it! Have ya'll read the Nikki Heat books? They are just ok. I've only read a couple.
Also, love Once Upon a Time :) my hubby makes fun of it saying "when is bugs bunny showing up?"


message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Lisa wrote: "I watched the first two series of 'Once Upon ATime', Sarah. I really loved it but then Channel 5 stopped airing it and I haven't yet gotten around to catching up with it on Netflix. "

I've just finished season 1. And I liked it a fair amount. Some triggers for me but overall enjoyed the story and now on season 2. (view spoiler)


message 19: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I'm in the midst of watching Jessica Jones and really like the noir vibe it has although I think there are moments when it feels like it's trying too hard to be edgy (I mostly ignore it/suspend disbelief/etc). Many of the supporting characters are a more interesting than I expected them to be.

The other book-to-tv adaptation I'm hooked on right now is The Expanse


message 20: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments I watched a few episodes of transparent and enjoyed it. Definitely made me think about how people treat others who don't fit what they think is normal. It also had me thinking about all the efforts being made for all people to have safe restrooms.

Anybody reading any books or watching any shows that are good representation of Lgbt people and relationships?


message 21: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Anyone watching Wynonna Earp?


message 22: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Finally got around to watching Jessica Jones and am enjoying it so far. The world is pretty gritty. I still have quite a few episodes left to watch.


message 23: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I just watched the first episode of The Night Manager, based on the John le Carré novel. The TV show was done for BBC and broadcast in America by AMC, but I missed it until now, so I bought it from Amazon at my brother's recommendation. It is really good.


message 24: by Teanka (new)

Teanka Casceil wrote: "I just watched the first episode of The Night Manager, based on the John le Carré novel. The TV show was done for BBC and broadcast in America by AMC, but I missed i..."

I concur. I watched it last month, it was hard to pause between the episodes, as there was a lot of tension and suspense. Happy watching, Casceil!


message 25: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Have watched almost all of season one of "Humans." It's very good. Wish i could see Lars Lundstrom's original Swedish version, "Real Humans."


message 26: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 646 comments I just watched "The Shannara Chronicles." It is a MTV show based on the books The Elfstones of Shannara. The first season was on Netflix and it was pretty good. It has been renewed for a second season so I have something to look forward to.


message 27: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments Amanda (Mandy) wrote: "I just watched "The Shannara Chronicles." It is a MTV show based on the books The Elfstones of Shannara. The first season was on Netflix and it was pretty good. It has been renewed fo..."

LOL, I just said something about this on another thread. I thought the filming was beautiful.


message 28: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 646 comments I thought it was very well done also. I was a little skeptical given that it is done by MTV, but I think they did good.


message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I've been watching the series Victoria on ITV at the moment, and really been enjoying it =]

I've heard Poldark is good. Anyone seen that?


message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Not watched Poldark but I've heard A LOT about how Aidan Turner looks in it. That alone makes me want to watch it ;-)


message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "I've been watching the series Victoria on ITV at the moment, and really been enjoying it =]

I've heard Poldark is good. Anyone seen that?"


I have been watching Poldark, Sarah. It's good, I have been enjoying it. Aidan Turner may (or may not) have anything to do with that ;)


message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I love Poldark and am so glad the second season just started. I have to agree Aidan Turner is a bonus.


message 33: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 646 comments I watched the 1st season of Poldark and enjoyed it. I didn't realize that the new season had started. The 3rd season of Penny Dreadful just made it to Netflix so I am currently engrossed in that.


message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Amanda (Mandy) wrote: "I watched the 1st season of Poldark and enjoyed it. I didn't realize that the new season had started. The 3rd season of Penny Dreadful just made it to Netflix so I am currently engrossed in that."

The new season of Poldark started a few weeks ago here in the UK. I don't know whether it has started anywhere else yet.

I watched the first season of Penny Dreadful and enjoyed it but I haven't watched the other two seasons yet.


message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Another UK show I am a big fan of is Ripper Street. Does anyone else here watch it?


message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I like Ripper Street Lisa! And I was surprised to find my partner liked it too. We've seen the first 2 seasons but then it moved to Amazon Prime I think so we've not seen any of the other series yet. I think there is a third one.


message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "I like Ripper Street Lisa! And I was surprised to find my partner liked it too. We've seen the first 2 seasons but then it moved to Amazon Prime I think so we've not seen any of the other series ye..."

Yay! Glad someone else is a Ripper Street fan! Yes, there is a third and fourth series. The 4th series has been airing on BBC2 these past few weeks. I think it finishes tonight. I was really annoyed when it moved to Amazon Prime but luckily, the BBC still show it. Amazon Prime make it available on there and then about 10 months later, the BBC show it.


message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Ah I see. I might see if I can find it somewhere then.


message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I started watching The Expanse series last night. I was really excited to get started with it as i loved the first book this series is based on. I'm reading the 2nd book at the moment. I have to say, i was a little disappointed in the shower. I watched the first 2 episodes. The first one was quite difficult to follow, i couldn't always understand what they were saying or what was going on. My partner followed it less than me perhaps because he hasn't read the book. Episode 2 was better. I'm torn as to whether or not to continue. I really had high hopes for it. I really wanted to like it.


message 40: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Lisa wrote: "Another UK show I am a big fan of is Ripper Street. Does anyone else here watch it?"

I love it!! I recorded it and have 3 episodes left to watch. I'm slowly watching them so they won't end too quickly :)

I'm so sad that this is the last season of Inspector Lewis. I'll miss Lewis and Hathaway so much.


message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Another UK show I am a big fan of is Ripper Street. Does anyone else here watch it?"

I love it!! I recorded it and have 3 episodes left to watch. I'm slowly watching them so they won'..."


It's so good, isn't it?! You won't believe what happens in the final episode of Season 4!


message 42: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments Sarah wrote: "Not watched Poldark but I've heard A LOT about how Aidan Turner looks in it. That alone makes me want to watch it ;-)"

I love Aiden Turner. What was that show called that he was a vampire ?


message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Renee wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Not watched Poldark but I've heard A LOT about how Aidan Turner looks in it. That alone makes me want to watch it ;-)"

I love Aiden Turner. What was that show called that he was a va..."


It was called Being Human. I used to love that show!


message 44: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Yes I liked that show too.


message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments Ooh him.. he was in the hobbit yes he is rather nice =P Maybe I'll have to watch it. My grandma likes it hehe. I'd really like to watch both of those Lisa and Sarah, Ripper Street and Penny Dreadful.

I found Reign on Netflix too, about Mary Queen of Scots and Francis of France. It's quite teenagey but I like it =]


message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Ooh him.. he was in the hobbit yes he is rather nice =P Maybe I'll have to watch it. My grandma likes it hehe. I'd really like to watch both of those Lisa and Sarah, Ripper Street and Penny Dreadfu..."

I have been wondering whether to give Reign a go, Sarah. I might check out the first episode and see what I think.


message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) | 1302 comments I quite like it. I love all the beautiful dresses =D


message 48: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 336 comments Watched Midnight Texas and can't wait to watch episode 2. Don't know if I'll read the books maybe but no time soon. Anyone else enjoy planning to watch episode 2.


message 49: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I plan to watch the second episode of Midnight, Texas. I own the first book, but I haven't managed to read much of it. I think I have fallen asleep on it four or five times now, and I'm still in Chapter 2.


message 50: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I've been watching The Vampire Diaries on Netflix.

The show is apparently based off a series of books by the same name. The books have horrible ratings so I've not been keen to read them, but the show is great. It took me until a little more than halfway through the first season to get really hooked, but hooked I am. I've been doing a lot of binge watching on the weekends and I'm almost through season three. I think there's 8 seasons total.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top