THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Reaching out for help

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (last edited Feb 22, 2016 10:44AM) (new)

Gary Hage (GaryAHage) | 33 comments I'm reaching out to the community for help on an important historical project. You may remember the recent topic I began regarding applying for grants related to the same project. As I stated in that thread, current funding is extremely tight for completing this. I did begin a fund raising program on Generosity by Indiegogo a few days ago to hopefully help in funding the registration etc. of the 501c3 corp and publishing of the narrative/book.

Here is where I am currently in need of help:
I had a person who volunteered to proof and edit the manuscript for me at no cost. Rather, simply just to list her name as "editor" of the book. She agreed to do so since I will not be making any profit for myself from the sales of the book, or guided tours associated with the narrative in the book. As I have stated in the other thread, "all" proceeds will go to the 501c3 corporation "Friends of the Walter E. Peele Dixie Water Treatment Plant" that ties into this project. Which is currently in the process of being registered with the State of Florida. Those funds will be applied to the operational cost of the proposed tours and advertising.

Unfortunately, shortly into the project she fell ill with cardiac related health issues a few weeks ago. Now she is unable to complete this task. So, I'm left without a proof reader and editor. Granted, there are the paid services available, which are quite costly and currently beyond the newly forming organization's budget. Plus we are somewhat up against the clock in helping to preserve the historical building. Which is the central focus of the project. It's future is currently being considered by the local government. Decisions as whether to tear down portions of the overall structure are pending. Portions that are also of historic value. It's my hope that this proposed educational program (guided educational tours through this historic location) along with the pending release of the book version of the tours will help seal its fate and save "Dixie" for generations to come. By sharing this never before written or publicly shared history.

If there is anyone, or if one has any suggestions of someone who would be interested in doing the following, I would appreciate hearing from you. What I need is someone willing and capable of proofing and editing the remainder of the 245 page manuscript of this tour narrative/book. Which is already a highly anticipated book by the local government officials and historians in south Florida. Where the historical account takes place. The previous person completed up through page sixty-four. Let note that many of the remaining pages are either full page images or partial text with images. Total word count (including pages 1-64) is currently 70,119 words. In the past, I like having the errors noted and suggested corrections shown in the comment bar on Microsoft Word, as it helps me to see and learn from my mistakes. So, I don't mind making the actual corrections to the manuscript myself.

In return I can only offer at this time, that this person be shown as the "editor" of the book (if they wish to be noted) along with being named a "major contributor" to the non- profit organization overseeing this project. In addition, also provide documents showing their donation of time and effort for tax purposes if desired.

In closing, any offers and comments which will help guide us in the direction we need to go to help make this important project come to fruition, will be greatly appreciated. Anyone wishing to see photos related to this project can do so by going to the Friends of the Walter E. Peele Dixie Water Treatment Plant webpage on Facebook and/or on Indiegogo.

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally (brasscastle) | 261 comments I hope someone steps up to help you out, Gary. I was sorely tempted to offer my copyediting services, to broaden my portfolio. (I trained in copyediting a year ago, with an eye toward my retirement - this kind of work I can do at home - and projects like yours would give me valuable experience and credibility.) Your project would be right up my alley, with my strong interest in history. But I am just plain swamped right now with other commitments.

Good luck! I will be quite interested in hearing more about your progress on this project. I'm heartened to hear that you have considerable support and interest from the local community.

message 3: by Zach (new)

Zach Tyo (ztyo) | 13 comments Gary, I would be wasting your time offering any services as an editor but I can offer to take a look and help out where I can. It would essentially be structure, spelling and flow; plus anything I find would be noted and would have to be changed by you. I wouldn't take any credit for it, but keep me in mind if nobody else is able to assist you in a more experienced fashion.

Good luck, as an author and historical architecture fan I really hope you get this sorted out.

عبد السلام إبراهيم | 7 comments hi

how do i delete a quote?

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 177 comments عبد السلام wrote: "hi

how do i delete a quote?"

Actually, this topic isn't a general "help" topic, where all sorts of questions might be submitted. Gary wrote the original post looking for someone to help him with a very specific project.

I can't tell you where you should post your question. Perhaps contact the moderators of this group.

Also, you'll probably need to be more specific. What kind of a quote and deleting it from where? Something on your profile? From a Word document?

Sorry I can't offer any help, personally.

Eric

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments عبد السلام wrote: "hi

how do i delete a quote?"

To delete a quote, link to the quote to be deleted in this group

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by عبد السلام (last edited Feb 25, 2016 04:47AM) (new)

عبد السلام إبراهيم | 7 comments hi
i need to delete this quote from my account

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7522805

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith عبد السلام wrote: "hi
i need to delete this quote from my account

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7522805"

You need to post your request in the librarians group. The link to that group was given to you in Paula's post above.