The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016/17 Group Reads - Archives > Poll - April 2016

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver It is hard to believe that spring is almost here and now it is time to think about what we want to read in April.

Please nominate the book you would like to read for our April group read.

You will have until the end of the month to nominate so Feb. 29 will be the last day for nominations.

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 42 comments I nominate Père Goriot. :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I shall nominate No Name by Wilkie Collins

message 4: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2892 comments Mod
I nominate The Odd Women by George Gissing. Originally published in 1893,

message 5: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4487 comments Mod
Rosemarie wrote: "I nominate The Odd Women by George Gissing. Originally published in 1893,"

The Odd Woman

message 6: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Here is a description of The Odd Women. From the back cover:

In its fierce criticism of a society that encouraged the oppression of women and consequently the arrogance and cruelty of men, The Odd Women was astonishingly ahead of its time and vividly reminds us that feminism is not a new concern. It is also an unflinching examination of the dliemma of choosing between one's desires and one's principles.

I have not read this novel, but I have read another novel by Gissing. The "odd women" are spinsters, i.e. women without husbands.

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise | 46 comments The Silent Places
by Stewart Edward White

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I nominate The Rector's Daughter by F M Mayor or Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell

message 9: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Sorry I see the group has already read Ruth so I will change it to Esther Waters by George Moore (I believe we can nominate 2)

message 10: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 22, 2016 04:04PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Here is a description of The Odd Women. From the back cover:
In its fierce criticism of a society that encouraged the oppression of women and consequently the arrogance and cruelty of men, The Od..."

Woman
Sounds similar to Hardy's themes

message 11: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Tracey wrote: "Sorry I see the group has already read Ruth so I will change it to Esther Waters by George Moore (I believe we can nominate 2)"

I second Esther Waters. Would love to read it.

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 673 comments I’ll second The Odd Women. Sounds like a good companion read to one of my favorite classics, Lolly Willowes.

message 13: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 22, 2016 10:05PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Abigail wrote: "I’ll second The Odd Women. Sounds like a good companion read to one of my favorite classics, Lolly Willowes."

Woman

People could end up with the wrong book.

message 14: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Rochelle wrote: "Abigail wrote: "I’ll second The Odd Women. Sounds like a good companion read to one of my favorite classics, Lolly Willowes."

Woman

People could end up with the wrong book."
V

Post number 5 has link to book

message 15: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 1 comments Rose wrote: "I nominate Père Goriot. :)"

I just finished this one and it's a terrific read! I highly recommend it.

message 16: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments After watching the War and Peace mini-series, I would love to read a Russian novel (although NOT War and Peace...good grief).

Fathers and Sons was nominated last month (not by me), and did well, but didn't win.

So, I'm going to nominate it again.

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Feb 23, 2016 07:23PM) (new)

message 18: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Deborah wrote: "Rochelle wrote: "Abigail wrote: "I’ll second The Odd Women. Sounds like a good companion read to one of my favorite classics, Lolly Willowes."

Woman

People could end up with the wrong book."V

Post number 5 has link to book ."

If the intention was, as I assume it was, to nominate the George Gissing book, then the link in Post 5 is to a bad edition of the book with the wrong title. It actually IS The Odd Women. Here's a link to a correct copy of it (Oxford World's Classics). I've read it -- it's a fine book about several odd women. I won't say more about why they're odd since that would be a spoiler, but
The Odd Women The Odd Women by George Gissing

There is a book with the title The Odd Woman, but it's by Gail Godwin who was born in 1937 and is way outside our time period.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

The book I nominated is definitely The Odd Women by George Gissing

message 20: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Everyman wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Rochelle wrote: "Abigail wrote: "I’ll second The Odd Women. Sounds like a good companion read to one of my favorite classics, Lolly Willowes."

Woman

People could end up with the w..."

Weird because I chose Gissing when I created link

message 21: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

A similar thing happened when I requested a book from the library. I expected a certain book and got a different one altogether--same title, different author.

message 22: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 24, 2016 12:16PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Deborah wrote: "Weird because I chose Gissing when I created link ."

Oops, I'm sorry, I fell in the hole, and I owe 2 of you an apology.

Books in the GR main catalog are submitted by members, so can be imperfect. I've found some weird stuff like the same edition under several names, and writers of the foreword listed as authors, which is very common. There's an Editors Group where you can submit errors in the catalog without having to join that group. I'll look for the URL.

message 23: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 24, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Their search engine is also awful, surprising since Amazon owns them. Searching for "editors" in Groups gives me this:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/searc...

Rosemarie: at a library, I'm surprised, since they still use the Dewey call numbers even though the card catalogs are gone. They're using more volunteers these days to cut back on paid staff.

message 24: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

My daughter works at one of the 100 branches of the Toronto Public Library. From what she tells me, some employees pay more attention to detail than others. In libraries, details are important.

message 25: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Rochelle wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Weird because I chose Gissing when I created link ."

Oops, I'm sorry, I fell in the hole, and I owe 2 of you an apology.

Books in the GR main catalog are submitted by members, so..."

No apologies needed

message 26: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Rochelle wrote: "Oops, I'm sorry, I fell in the hole, and I owe 2 of you an apology. "

Don't know whether you consider me one of the two, but if so, no apology at all is needed.

message 27: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments The group that edits is called Librarians, not Editors. I joined the group and submitted the error. I think I'll stay this time because it's interesting to see the inner workings of the site.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 28: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments I'll always remember this book, even if we don't read it. :-(

Turns out GR has gotten its book list from Amazon, not the other way around. The tens of thousands of errors that the Librarians fix are from Amazon's catalog. Looks like, by buying GR, Amazon got some 15,000 workers who don't have to be paid.

message 29: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Rochelle wrote: "I'll always remember this book, even if we don't read it. :-(

Turns out GR has gotten its book list from Amazon, not the other way around. The tens of thousands of errors that the Librarians fix ..."

Wow. That's pretty nasty.

message 30: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 28, 2016 11:12PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments Deborah wrote: "Rochelle wrote: " Turns out GR has gotten its book list from Amazon, not the other way around. The tens of thousands of errors that th...

Wow. That's pretty nasty. "

About as nasty as the poverty wages they pay their own workers and the work load they expect from them. They undersell everyone for the same reason that Walmart does.

My error, it's 58,000 Librarians although in practice, not everyone who joins just to make a correction, like me, is a Librarian.

message 31: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 25, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments We're getting sidetracked. Back to nominations. I think we've already read every book in the Western World.

Renominating Hardy's Wessex Tales.

Has anyone else seen this reading of Hardy's letter regarding critics?
https://www.goodreads.com/videos/2808...

message 32: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Rochelle wrote: "Renominating Hardy's Wessex Tales.

Has anyone else seen this reading of Hardy's letter regarding critics?
https://www.goodreads.com/videos/2808..."

Very interesting letter. It's seldom we see Hardy's humorous side coming out, but this is something that Mark Twain could have written.

message 33: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Rochelle wrote: "Renominating Hardy's Wessex Tales."

Anything by Hardy is worth seconding, though I would have chosen one of the novels rather than the stories. But I'll happily support it anyhow. It's Hardy!!

message 34: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 25, 2016 02:41PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments I think we've done most of the novels. Is the Bookshelf up-to-date?

message 35: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 3582 comments Rochelle wrote: "I think we've done most of the novels. Is the Bookshelf up-to-date?"

According to the "read" bookshelf, the only one we've done is Jude. And, of course, A Pair of Blue Eyes.

Looking at the Archives folder, we didn't do any in 2014, or in 2013, or in 2012. I didn't go further back than that because there are a lot of new faces here who might be interested in reading books even if they were done before 2012.

message 36: by Linda2 (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments May I make a 2nd nomination?

message 37: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Rochelle wrote: "May I make a 2nd nomination?"

Rochelle That's up to Silver. If you want, nominate your second book and indicate which one you would choose between the two. Silver then has the option of including both or using the one which is most important to you.

message 38: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

I'm going to nominated In a Glass Darkly

message 39: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 751 comments Yes! I second!

message 40: by Silver (new)

Silver Rochelle wrote: "May I make a 2nd nomination?"

I will allow a 2nd nomination and when it is time for the poll I will decide based on how many nominations we have whether or not to use both nominations.

So as Deborah states please let me know your top choice.

message 41: by Linda2 (last edited Feb 28, 2016 11:13PM) (new)

Linda2 | 3743 comments That's OK; I don't want to rock any boats. We already have 8 or 9.

message 42: by Silver (new)

Silver The poll has now been posted. You will have a week to cast your vote. March 7th will be the last day that voting is open.

message 43: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

How do I get to the poll link on an Ipad?

message 44: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "How do I get to the poll link on an Ipad?"

Rosemarie go to the main page and scroll down. It will be near bottom of page

message 45: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

I can't find it. Is there an email link you can give me? I have an ipad mini and have issues finding things at times. I am still discovering new functions every day.

message 46: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Hi, again. In one of my other groups I was able to access the poll through the link on the thread(in the comments).

message 47: by Silver (new)

Silver That is one of the difficulties with the ipad I find, is that it is hard to find the polls and on the Goodreads app they don't show up.

Here is a link to the poll, hopefully it helps.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/3...

message 48: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Thank you. That worked.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.