THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Can I giveaway proofs?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Fanning | 2 comments Can I giveaway uncorrected book proofs?

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith Yes. Reviewers often receive uncorrected proofs and ignore minor formatting or typographical mistakes. However, if the mistakes are really prevalent or render the book unreadable they will probably be noted in the review.

message 3: by Kieran (new)

Kieran Fanning | 2 comments Faith wrote: "Yes. Reviewers often receive uncorrected proofs and ignore minor formatting or typographical mistakes. However, if the mistakes are really prevalent or render the book unreadable they will probably..."

Thank you, Faith.

message 4: by Luna (new)

Luna Claire (lunasaintclaire) | 58 comments I think it is similar to an "artist's proof" of a lithograph... sometimes those become really collectible.

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 22, 2016 10:49AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I'd wait for staff to confirm that's okay for a goodreads giveaway (first reads). I've only seen the final-going-to-publish ARC limited run editions in the goodreads giveaways. But, I'm not staff (nor have I seen every giveaway) and the uncorrected proofs labeled as such might be allowed.

Outside of the official goodreads giveaways -- ceetainly feel free to giveaway or offer free-for-review the uncorrected proof (clearly stated in your offer) to readers here so long as not spamming (there are groups and group threads for doing that). Many readers are fine with uncorrected proofs, so long as know what they are getting, and willing to overlook minor issues.

I do know lots of readers get the ARC editions (Advanced Reader Copies. = pre-first edition limited run copy/galley of a book printed before the first standard edition is published usually in hopes of generating advance publicity).

An uncorrected proof doesn't sound the same as an ARC edition and might be more suited for beta readers.

I wouldn't count on many readers being forgiving of even minor formatting and typos on anything that's not a beta read. Or on goodreads giveaway entrants not expecting a published book (or expected to be the published book ARC pre-release edition) -- they might not notice the " uncorrected proof" phrase in the description and be harsher in any resulting discussions and reviews.

message 6: by Faith (new)

Faith Most of the ARCs I have received from GR and otherwise say uncorrected proof on the cover. Sometimes they have further disclaimers inside. Unless your proof is really just a rough draft I wouldn't worry about it.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marie Gabriel (lisamariegabriel) | 6 comments I have seen some books advertised as proofs recently, or proof copies without the regular cover. Personally I wouldn't do that, but others do.

message 8: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments My proofs are already proofread. They're just waiting for me to approve the cover and internal formatting, so they're pretty much error free. They also come with a cover.

message 9: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Kieran, you're welcome to give away uncorrected proofs, keeping in mind a few things:

1. The giveaway must stipulate that the book is an uncorrected proof.
2. There must be a book record (book page) on the site for that proof.

Please also note that this book record (including the cover) will not be removed from the site when your new edition is released, nor will any reviews be removed when the updated edition is added or at any other time.

Hope that helps!

message 10: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments What about corrected proofs?

message 11: by Faith (last edited Feb 23, 2016 09:37AM) (new)

Faith Lenita wrote: "What about corrected proofs?"
As long as you follow the rules in Jaclyn's post you can give away any physical book or audio book cd in a GR giveaway.

message 12: by Lenita (last edited Feb 23, 2016 09:40AM) (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments What if you're just offering ebooks for review?

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments Official GR giveaways does not support the give away of ebooks. It must be a physical copy

message 14: by Lenita (new)

Lenita Sheridan | 104 comments Sorry, I misunderstood. We are talking about an official Goodreads Giveaway here.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments Which must be a physical copy not an ebook