YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team J (Medium) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 269 (269 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Irene (last edited Feb 22, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Hi Team! Please check in with us before March 1 as much as possible so we can start planning.

✓ Bookbuyer
✓ Irene
✓ Ashley (IN)
✓ Samantha
✓ Leandra

Main Challenge Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Review Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Letter Frequency:
A ×9, B ×2, C ×2, D ×4, E ×12, F ×2,
G ×3, H ×2, I ×9, J ×1, K ×1, L ×4, M ×2,
N ×6, O ×8, P ×2, Q ×1, R ×6, S ×4, T ×6,
U ×4, V ×2, W ×2, X ×1, Y ×2, Z ×1, blank ×2

Points per letter:

(1 point)-A, E, I, O, U, L, N, S, T, R.
(2 points)-D, G.
(3 points)-B, C, M, P.
(4 points)-F, H, V, W, Y.
(5 points)-K.
(8 points)- J, X.
(10 points)-Q, Z.

Challenge rules:
* Each letter has its own points score (as above).
* Each letter can only be used as many times as it appears on a scrabble board (as above)
* Blanks are freebies, and can be used for any letter, they will be awarded 1 point each.
* If a team manages to complete all 100 tiles, they may start the board for a second time.
* Books must be read between the 1st of March to the 31st of March inclusive.
* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books, 300 pages minimum for poetry or books written in verse.)
* Please check with us about re-reads before reading.
* Our regular challenge rules can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
* You can use other editions which have other titles, but only if the title is written using english letters, editions which are written in greek letters or arabic etc. won't count.

* Points will be awarded based on the letter used (as above)
* Buddy reads (which take place within our group) will gain the team 1 bonus point for books under 450 pages, and 2 bonus points for books 450 pages or longer.
* There will be no individual rankings in this game as not everyone will be able to use the higher value letters.

message 2: by Irene (last edited Feb 22, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Hi team!

So, first of all, does anyone want to keep track of how many of each tiles we have left? I'm not on my computer often enough to keep track of it :)

I have a couple of reads planned for next month:
A - Are You Still There by Sarah Lynn Scheerger
B - The Beginning of Never by O.E. Boroni
D - The Deal (Off-Campus, #1) by Elle Kennedy
G - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
H - Hüter der Erinnerung by Lois Lowry
I - The Initiation (The Secret Circle, #1) by L.J. Smith
M - The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2) by Elle Kennedy Midnatspigen (Fjer og flammer #1) by Melissa Grey
Q - Quarto by Emma Donoghue
U - Unchanged (Unremembered, #3) by Jessica Brody
Y - You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day

message 3: by Sami (new)

Sami  Myers (bookishsami) I'm checking in!

message 4: by Leandra (new)

Leandra (lexxy5327) | 108 comments Checking in! I would love to read the Secret Circle :) defo on my TBR but I am excited for anything

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Leandra wrote: "Checking in! I would love to read the Secret Circle :) defo on my TBR but I am excited for anything"

You're welcome to join the buddy read :) I can't remember the date right now though

message 6: by Leandra (new)

Leandra (lexxy5327) | 108 comments Some suggestions (I think we're all allowed to add suggestions, right? :D )

D - description

G - description

N - description

O - description

P - description

R - description

I know these are probably books that most of you have already read, but I have been very busy with other reads and I'd love to get to them sometime! :)

message 7: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Feb 29, 2016 03:51AM) (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22709 comments Mod
Hi team! :)

I'm hoping to get to a few series this month. I don't know for sure what I'm going to read but it'll probably be at least a few of the books on this list:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Possible BRs' I might join:
1st Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) by Josephine Angelini Room by Emma Donoghue A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen Also Known As (Also Known As, #1) by Robin Benway Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer
2nd Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass
3rd Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1) by Sara Raasch Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas
4th
5th The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #1) by Rick Riordan
6th
7th Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West Golden Son (Red Rising, #2) by Pierce Brown
8th Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
9th
10th The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu
11th
12th Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey
13th
14th Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi
15th Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr
16th Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard
17th Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman
18th
19th The Siren by Kiera Cass
20th
21st
22nd
23rd
24th The Winner's Crime (The Winner's Trilogy, #2) by Marie Rutkoski
25th
26th
27th
28th
29th Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
30th
31st

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments @Leandra - Sure :)

So does anyone have a book starting with J, X, Q or Z that they want to read next month? :p

Irene wrote: "@Leandra - Sure :)

So does anyone have a book starting with J, X, Q or Z that they want to read next month? :p"

I have a short book I can read for Z.

message 10: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Also does anyone one know how to make a google doc spreadsheet to help keep track of our progress???

message 11: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Feb 22, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Irene wrote: "@Leandra - Sure :)

So does anyone have a book starting with J, X, Q or Z that they want to read next month? :p"

Sarah said we can use other language editions of our books so everyone should check what is available for the books they have planned. They just have to be in English letters. No Greek or Arabic letters.

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "Also does anyone one know how to make a google doc spreadsheet to help keep track of our progress???"

I do, but I won't be able to update it more than maybe three times during the month or so, so yeah.. A spreadsheet is fine, but personally I'd like someone to keep track in this thread as well :) So that we all easily can see where we are etc. :) Hope I'm not causing too much trouble :)

Oh yes! That's right! I'll go check right now! :)

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Checking in. I'm planning next month now so I can check back in in a couple hours: )

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Oh, I have one for Q then! Room is called Quarto in another language, so I guess I'm going with that edition :P

message 15: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Irene wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Also does anyone one know how to make a google doc spreadsheet to help keep track of our progress???"

I do, but I won't be able to update it more than maybe three times during th..."

I'm fine for tracking our progress. I can make a progress thread and keep track there. ^-^ I'm on every single day so I should be able to keep it up to date.

message 16: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Irene wrote: "Oh, I have one for Q then! Room is called Quarto in another language, so I guess I'm going with that edition :P"

YAY! :)

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Bookbuyer wrote: "Irene wrote: "Bookbuyer wrote: "Also does anyone one know how to make a google doc spreadsheet to help keep track of our progress???"

I do, but I won't be able to update it more than maybe three t..."

That'd be great :)

message 18: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

So I've got the progress thread set up. I'll update it with books later on when people have a more solid idea of what they are reading, since I find that people often change what they are reading leading up to the challenge. ^-^

message 19: by Leandra (new)

Leandra (lexxy5327) | 108 comments This is my first scrabble thing so bear with me if I get confuzzled at times! :)

I really wanted to read Queen of the Tearling sometime, so that's a Q :)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readmewriteme) | 4222 comments Books I'm hoping to get through next month:
Reborn/Eternal/Unspoken- C.C. Hunter
Shadow Behind the Stars- Rebecca Hahn
Sage's Eyes- V.C. Andrews
Bargaining- Carly Anne West
Meg- Steve Alten
Warrior Heir- Cinda Williams Chima
What We Saw- Aaron Hartzler
Mark of the Thief- Jennifer Nielsen
Happily Ever After- Kiera Cass
Six- Mark Alpert
Three May Keep a Secret- Susan Van Kirk
B- 1
E- 1
H- 1
M- 2
R- 1
S- 3
T- 1
U- 1
W- 2

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments 8 of mine are buddy reads, the rest are books I hope to get through.

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Leandra, okay, I'll see if there's another title for Room instead, since there's just one :)

message 23: by Sami (last edited Feb 23, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Sami  Myers (bookishsami) I'm afraid to plan out what I'm going to read because I always change my mind closer to the end of the month!

Question though - I was planning on reading The 5th Wave. I know she said we can disregard the "The" but what would i count 5th as? A F for Fifth? Or would I have to use a blank/use the T for "The"?

message 24: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Feb 23, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Samantha wrote: "I'm afraid to plan out what I'm going to read because I always change my mind closer to the end of the month!

Question though - I was planning on reading The 5th Wave. I know she said we can disre..."

I believe F for Five would be fine. You could check with Sarah to be sure but I don't see a problem with that.

There are also editions with D, L, P, A, and V. ^-^

message 25: by Sami (new)

Sami  Myers (bookishsami) Oooooo V sounds like a good letter! ;)

message 26: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Samantha wrote: "Oooooo V sounds like a good letter! ;)"

No one is reading for that one yet so I think your good to use that one. I'll link the edition in a sec.

message 28: by Sami (new)

Sami  Myers (bookishsami) Thank you!

message 29: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Samantha wrote: "Thank you!"

NP. ^-^

message 30: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

So I have a book for most letters. I do have some book I want to read but I can also be a bit flexible. I tend to change my mind a lot as well since I can't read books I have no interest in. I think I'll also mostly be reading smaller books. About 100 page or so with a few bigger books added in.

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments I think 8 of the books I mentioned are buddy reads, so I'll most likely read that eight at least :)

message 32: by Leandra (new)

Leandra (lexxy5327) | 108 comments Can someone please explain something to me though: do we all read the same books at the same time together? Because there are people speaking about reading the same books in different languages in order to get more points for the book title being different? Does that mean we pick our own books individually or do we all vote on the books we read? :)

I'm really sorry for asking this. I've read through the entire explanation on this scrabble game, but this one thing wasn't made super clear for me. (I'm probably just being stupid)

thanks! xx

message 33: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments I'm not sure what you're asking :)
Let's say you want to read Red Riding. If you want, you can ask in the buddy thread if someone wants to read that book with you. Then you read the book together with your buddy at the same time, more or less. Buddy reads earns more points, and they don't have to be within the team, you can read books with people from other teams. If the book you're reading is available in other editions, you can use those editions instead.
Does that answer your question? :)

message 34: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Feb 24, 2016 01:02PM) (new)

Leandra wrote: "Can someone please explain something to me though: do we all read the same books at the same time together? Because there are people speaking about reading the same books in different languages in ..."

We do not have to read the same book at the same time (or at all). For instance I'm going to be reading The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton for the challenge. But unless someone else chose to join me. No one else on the team would have to read it. It is simple the book I'm choosing to read for the challenge.

The rest is explained by Irene above.

message 35: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

I'm going to start adding who's reading what to the progress thread so we know what letters are still needed.

message 36: by Sami (new)

Sami  Myers (bookishsami) Okay!

message 37: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Irene I've put Room down for 'R' for now since Leandra wants to read The Queen of the Tearling. If we need to we can still use it for 'Q' later on. ^-^

message 38: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Irene I switched your Midnatspigen book from M to the English version with a 'G' since Ashley need one of the 'M's.

message 39: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Irene since neither of the 'M' books that Ashley wants to read has an edition with a different letter I moved your The Mistake to a 'O' book.

message 40: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

I believe the progress thread is up to date. I'll add in my own later on.

message 41: by Sami (new)

Sami  Myers (bookishsami) Thank you so so much!

message 42: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Samantha wrote: "Thank you so so much!"

NP. ^-^ I like organizing things.

message 43: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments Unremembered 3,The Mistake, The Girl at Midnight, You're never weird on the internet and The Beginning of Never aren't planned buddy reads yet, but the rest are. Just saying, so that you know which book I definitely will be reading :)
It's fine, as long as I can see which letters I shall submit for in progress thread. I'll update my own comment today or tomorrow as well. :)

message 44: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments The Graveyard Book also comes in an edition starting with K, I already checked with Sarah :) So if need be, we can move that as well. There's only one K though. :)

message 45: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Irene wrote: "Unremembered 3,The Mistake, The Girl at Midnight, You're never weird on the internet and The Beginning of Never aren't planned buddy reads yet, but the rest are. Just saying, so that you know which..."

I'll do my best to keep it up to date. Worse case we just have to ask Sarah to switch it. :)

message 46: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments That's true :) I can't wait, it's gonna be great!

message 47: by Leandra (new)

Leandra (lexxy5327) | 108 comments Thanks! That does clear things up! :) does it have to be buddy reading or can we all read books on our own? How do we get the things on the scrabble board get crossed off? That's if a buddy group completes one of the letters, right? :)

xx

message 48: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 4929 comments No, it doesn't matter if it's a buddy read or not, every book you read ticks off a letter at the board.

message 49: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

I'm starting now. I'm going to read Red Queen first ^-^

message 50: by Sami (new)

Sami  Myers (bookishsami) I just started Me Before You!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.