YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team K (Medium) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Team K.:
Feyde
Karen
Marta
Irena
Kate

message 2: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Points per letter:

(1 point)- A, E, I, O, U, L, N, S, T, R.
(2 points)- D, G.
(3 points)- B, C, M, P.
(4 points)- F, H, V, W, Y.
(5 points)- K.
(8 points)- J, X.
(10 points)- Q, Z.

Letter frequency = A ×9, B ×2, C ×2, D ×4, E ×12, F ×2, G ×3, H ×2, I ×9, J ×1, K ×1, L ×4, M ×2, N ×6, O ×8, P ×2, Q ×1, R ×6, S ×4, T ×6, U ×4, V ×2, W ×2, X ×1, Y ×2, Z ×1, blank ×2

Rules:
* Each letter has its own points score (as above).
* Each letter can only be used as many times as it appears on a scrabble board (as above)
* Blanks are freebies, and can be used for any letter, they will be awarded 1 point each.
* If a team manages to complete all 100 tiles, they may start the board for a second time.
* Books must be read between the 1st of March to the 31st of March inclusive.
* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books, 300 pages minimum for poetry or books written in verse.)
* Please check with us about re-reads before reading.
* You can use other editions which have other titles, but only if the title is written using english letters, editions which are written in greek letters or arabic etc. won't count.

* Points will be awarded based on the letter used (as above)
* Buddy reads (which take place within our group) will gain the team 1 bonus point for books under 450 pages, and 2 bonus points for books 450 pages or longer.
* There will be no individual rankings in this game as not everyone will be able to use the higher value letters.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Hi guys, just to let you know I'm here, will be participating and all that, but I think I have to warn you I won't be able to post my reviews until March 5th or 6th, so don't think you're behind because of me, it's just because I'll be away from home so wouldn't have enough time to write reviews, but will do it when I come home.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Plus, I think it would be great if we posted here what books we plan to read and maybe even agree to read sth together, for more points.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Hopefully I've set this up right so you can all access the spreadsheet. Should help us plan reading a little. I'm happy to try and do what I can to fill in the spaces.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Irena wrote: "Hi guys, just to let you know I'm here, will be participating and all that, but I think I have to warn you I won't be able to post my reviews until March 5th or 6th, so don't think you're behind be..."

Hope you're doing something nice!

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Karen wrote: "https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Hopefully I've set this up right so you can all access the spreadsheet. Should help us plan rea..."

Karen, you did amazing job! I'll go and put books I plan to read here too! :)

message 8: by Marta (last edited Feb 22, 2016 03:25PM) (new)

Marta Oliveira | 247 comments hi i just wanted to let you know you that i am going on a spring break trip with friends for a whole week from the 17th to 25 and i probably wont read more than a book but i swear that after that i will dedicate myself to compensate the lost time

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 994 comments Hi team mates! :)

Awesome job Karen! Thanks for having the initiative of making the spreadsheet. I'll place mine as well.

message 10: by prag ♻ (last edited Feb 26, 2016 02:09AM) (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Hey guys!
Even I won't be around from the 16th to 26th, but don't worry, I'll try to post reviews as and when I can.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 994 comments I've only added 2 books which I'm sure I'll read. I'm still deciding for the rest, but I'll be sure to do buddy reads for added points.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Think we've all checked in...happy reading! If you come across any great ones, please recommend.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 994 comments Starting reading Are You Still There. Hope you get to enjoy your books for March too!

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Just a reminder to all - if you can use the spreadsheet to help us plan which areas need covering (think this'll be more important later as we start filling up letters) it would really help. Just colour-code if you can remember.

message 15: by prag ♻ (last edited Mar 02, 2016 01:08AM) (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) @Marta I moved a thousand pieces of you to A instead of T to make room for Ten Thousand Skies above you (I'm reading it) hope that's okay!

message 16: by Marta (new)

Marta Oliveira | 247 comments it's fine :)

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments How is everyone getting on? Some great books being read. Shall we try to target higher scoring letters first?

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments I know I'm pretty behind but I am starting with my reviews today.
I can't say for others, but I have some kind of scedule because most books I'm reading are review cooies, but I'll try my best to read those with more poijts sooner.
Sadely, I realized that most books I have to read have only 1 point letter, except M and maybe some other... :/

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Irena wrote: "I know I'm pretty behind but I am starting with my reviews today.
I can't say for others, but I have some kind of scedule because most books I'm reading are review cooies, but I'll try my best to ..."

Irena, don't worry about it. I'm a bit like you, trying to work out which books I have from NetGalley can be used. Also busy in work right now so feel I'm being a bit slow. We're doing alright so far...

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments I haven't posted any review yet, so... :/ but I'll be better, I promise! :D

message 21: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) I'm trying the high point letters first so even if we can't finish all the A's and T's and we'll get some points

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Feyde wrote: "I'm trying the high point letters first so even if we can't finish all the A's and T's and we'll get some points"

Good effort with the ones you've done. What's your verdict on the James Potter stuff you read?

message 23: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Karen wrote: "Feyde wrote: "I'm trying the high point letters first so even if we can't finish all the A's and T's and we'll get some points"

Good effort with the ones you've done. What's your verdict on the Ja..."

It's actually quite good for fanfiction! You should totally read it if you're as obsessed with anything Potter related as me:)

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Hi all, we've ended up with a duplicate. J has already been completed. Marta - for now, is it worth Jaden counting as a blank tile?

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments I don't think we have much choice but to count is as blank.
Just pls someone put on that table document that we already used blank space so nobody confuses later.
I am on my phone so can't do it right now.

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Irena wrote: "I don't think we have much choice but to count is as blank.
Just pls someone put on that table document that we already used blank space so nobody confuses later.
I am on my phone so can't do it r..."

Just done it

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Thanks!

message 28: by Marta (new)

Marta Oliveira | 247 comments oh im sorry i hadn't realize that it wasalready used sorry. ill be more careful now sorry again

message 29: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Marta wrote: "oh im sorry i hadn't realize that it wasalready used sorry. ill be more careful now sorry again"

We can change it to j if we finish the whole board so we can leave it be as blank for now

message 30: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 994 comments I haven't posted my reviews as well! I'll get things done this weekend.

I'm currently reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I'm halfway and I know it's rated around 4 stars but I don't like it as much. I was really excited to read it :(

message 31: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Kate wrote: "I haven't posted my reviews as well! I'll get things done this weekend.

I'm currently reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I'm halfway and I know it's rated around 4 stars but I don't like it as m..."

The same happened with me when I read it! There was so much hype around it, yet I didn't like it. I liked the second and third books better though.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Just finished Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon but won't be able to review until after work.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Omg, guys, have you seen that we are actually the best team in medium teams?
What??!! This is my first time being on the team that is actally not almost the last kne.

You all are doing such a great job, I should review 2 books today so I hope to contribute to our score.
:D

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Kate wrote: "I haven't posted my reviews as well! I'll get things done this weekend.

I'm currently reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I'm halfway and I know it's rated around 4 stars but I don't like it as m..."

I liked that book but didn't want to read the sequel until the very end of the book.
I finished the whole series and liked it, although I know some ppl were dissapointed.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Currently reading a book starting with K. Irena, you have bookmarked a title beginning with K. Have you started reading it? If not, can I pop my title in? If you have, don't worry - I'll pop mine in under a blank tile.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Karen wrote: "Currently reading a book starting with K. Irena, you have bookmarked a title beginning with K. Have you started reading it? If not, can I pop my title in? If you have, don't worry - I'll pop mine i..."
I haven't started it so you can post yours, I'll delete mine from the list so you can put yours, just so we can have it uder control when counting.
I can read the title with K later (if we manage to read all letters) or next month then...

I am starting a book with N now... It's only 1 point but I have to read it because I have to review it ASAP.

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Great, thanks Irene.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Just to let you guys know, right now I'm reading title with M and title with N.

message 39: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Irena wrote: "Just to let you guys know, right now I'm reading title with M and title with N."

I'm a little behind because of my exams, I should be finished with Lady Midnight and Siege and storm by sunday.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments okay! How do you find Lady Midnight so far?

message 41: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Irena wrote: "okay! How do you find Lady Midnight so far?"

Similar to TID and TMI, but like anything Cassie writes, amazing.

message 42: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 994 comments Meh, so disappointed with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I thought it was really cool but it only lasted in the beginning.

Currently reading Emmy & Oliver.

message 43: by prag ♻ (new)

prag ♻ (janayanation) Kate wrote: "Meh, so disappointed with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I thought it was really cool but it only lasted in the beginning.

Currently reading Emmy & Oliver."

Is it good? I've seen a lot of people read it.

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 994 comments Feyde wrote: "Kate wrote: "Meh, so disappointed with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I thought it was really cool but it only lasted in the beginning.

Currently reading Emmy & Oliver."

Is it good? I've seen a lot..."

I like it. It sort of is an easy read. :)

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Just finished Crush by Eve Ainsworth. Will review and update after work tonight.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments I will finish My Map of You, if not today then tomorrow for sure.
I am still reading No place To Hide but plan to finish it this week.

And I made some changes on my tbr so I'll delete today ones I'm not sure if I'll manage to read this month, so if you guys want to use that letters you can, and that we can focus on letters with more points.

message 47: by Irena BookDustMagic (last edited Mar 16, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Just to let you guys know, I made those changes and now books I'm currently reading are marked yellow and the ones I plan to read this month red and ones we already read are green.

Some books I deleted so you can read books with those letters if you want to.
I'll do my best to read as many books as I can, but I did what I did just in case.

I'll defenitely finish those that sre on the list now.

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10140 comments Have just finished We Were Liars and will post my review later.

Irena BookDustMagic | 1420 comments Karen, how did you like We Were Liars?
I frickin LOVE that book, but I know many ppl don't.
Those stories with a king and three daughters were my favorite part of the book...

I'll FINALLY finish My Map of You today and review it, plus I'll probably finish Timmy Failure too, if not today then tomorrow for sure.
I still read No Place To Hide.

message 50: by Kate (new)

Kate ★ (spillsandspoils) | 994 comments How are you guys doing? Hope all is well!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.