Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

Currently Reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
Don't we all love to go through other people's books? Tell us what you are currently reading.

message 2: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I am reading Winter and Rebecca. I am also pretending to reread Anna Karenina even though I haven't looked at it in months.

message 3: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
CURRENTLY READING:

-The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart
-Zoo by James Patterson
-Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

But of course I am waiting anxiously for a Clash of Kings group read to start.

message 4: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Roseanne wrote: "I am reading Winter and Rebecca. I am also pretending to reread Anna Karenina even though I haven't looked at it in months."

Pretending, lol

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments I'm currently reading 3 different books. lol

A Game of Thrones (of course)
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You
City of Bones

message 6: by Anja (new)

Anja | 2 comments I'm reading me before you and breakfast at tiffany's at the moment :-)

message 7: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Oh I loved Me Before You. I want to read After You.

message 8: by Brendan (new)

Brendan | 133 comments Mod
Garden of the Moons (trying to get through this one)
Bourne identity (awesome read)
The Hunger Games (my 8th graders wanted me to read this one)
Getting ready for A Clash of Kings

message 9: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I read hunger games because one of my kids was reading it. I ended up reading the whole series while he read just the one book. Happens to me every time.

message 10: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

I must admit I have never read the Hunger Games. I was not very interested in books when that series was first so popular so I saw only the movies. I am now not impressed with myself and how I missed out.

I will maybe several years from now try them when I have hopefully forgotten everything I know.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading

The Hunger Games to my daughter
Les Miserables.

message 12: by Brendan (new)

Have any of you read Outlander? If so, what did you think? I tried getting through the first episode on Starz and found it just too over the top. However, the cinematography of the Scottish Highlands is pretty awesome. Would be interested in your thoughts!!!

message 13: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (last edited Feb 28, 2016 04:35AM) (new)

I read Outlander and I watched the first couple of episodes. Sorry but I don't understand the hype. I mean it was not pure torture, it was ok.

I found that there was more romance and sex than I would have liked. It got boring fast. I found there was no need for 850 pages. But I am glad I read it because it was a buddy read and on that read someone suggested I read a Song of Ice & Fire because it sounded more of what I was after. So it was worth it in the end.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Brendan wrote: "Have any of you read Outlander? If so, what did you think? I tried getting through the first episode on Starz and found it just too over the top. However, the cinematography of the Scottish Highlan..."

Over the top and not written that well - the dialogue was inane most of the time and the whole book could have used more editing. The overly romantic sex scenes made me want to gag after a while. I wasn't shocked or offended by the sex and violence, I just didn't need to be reminded how much in love they were and how much Jaime suffered every 5 pages. The time travel plot and the descriptions of Scotland in the 1800's were interesting, though.
I was reading this with Leslie and some other GR friends, so that made for some fun comments! I probably would have skimmed through most of it if I was reading by myself, just to see what happened to make this series last for about 4 or 5 books.

message 15: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Terry wrote: "Brendan wrote: "Have any of you read Outlander? If so, what did you think? I tried getting through the first episode on Starz and found it just too over the top. However, the cinematography of the ..."

Yep, Terry was the one who told me to give Game of Thrones a try. Thanks chickie!

message 16: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I couldn't even get through the first 100 pages of Outlander. I think its awful. I just don't get why everyone loves it so much. so boring!

message 17: by Brendan (new)

If the book is as bad as the show, then I am definitely not going to read Outlander. The show was painful enough. Too much over the top romance to the point of wanting to throw up. Not to mention I found that the main character (the actress who goes back in time) was annoying!! Not for me.

Now, has anybody read The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind? If you haven't the books are pretty good reads. I feel that the writing is not as good as A Song of Ice and Fire, but a fun series none the less. I have only read the first book and the novella in the series, but what I have read so far (entertainment wise) is really good!!! I think the members of this group would like the series!!! The series has more fantasy then GRRM, but it is in a similar realm as The Seven Kingdoms. Check these books out!!!!

message 18: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Brendan wrote: "If the book is as bad as the show, then I am definitely not going to read Outlander. The show was painful enough. Too much over the top romance to the point of wanting to throw up. Not to mention I..."

No but I will mark it to potentially give it a go. Thanks.

message 19: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I need to check that series out too. Thanks for mentioning it. As far as Outlander goes painful is exactly what the book was.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Ok, I feel vindicated now, judging by your comments regarding Outlander. I thought I might have been a book snob about it before, kind of making fun of an enormously popular book, that so many people love. I think I would have liked it if I read it when I was younger.

message 21: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

QUIT READING: (I got bored and felt Overwhelmed)

CURRENTLY READING: (In addition to A Clash of Kings of course)

-Zoo by James Patterson
-What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty ☕ ☕ ☕ ☕ It is excellent

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition ♪ Leslie (aka Basesloaded32) wrote: "QUIT READING: (I got bored and felt Overwhelmed)

CURRENTLY READING: (In additi..."

I could never get into the Crystal Cave series either.

message 23: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Well for a couple of days I have only A Clash of Kings on the go. One book only is rare for me.

message 24: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

One book is rare for me too but I put everything aside for GoT and Stephen King. Oh I should go to lunch with George and Stephen at the same time.

message 25: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Try to keep the lunch short ok Roseanne. George needs to get home to finish writing his dam book!

message 26: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

I have started to try and knock off at least 2 from my tbr per month. Zoo was the first one and I have a short one picked out for the last week of the month.

message 27: by Brendan (new)

Warning!!!! This is WAY in advance, but would anyone be interested in doing a buddy or group read during the month of October with the book "Let the Right One In" by John Ajvide Lindqvist? It is a book that is fitting for the Halloween season. The original European movie was awesome and since viewing it years ago I have always wanted to read the book. Let me know. Hope you all are doing well!!!

message 28: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Brendan I will see where I am with knocking off the tbr list closer to Halloween. It sounds kind of interesting. So bring up the topic again Sept(ish) if we seem to have forgotten. (I sadly tend to do that these days.)

message 29: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Mar 19, 2016 07:46AM) (new)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Brendan wrote: "Warning!!!! This is WAY in advance, but would anyone be interested in doing a buddy or group read during the month of October with the book "Let the Right One In" by John Ajvide Lindqvist? It is a ..."

Hi Brendan, I'll definitely read that one in October!

message 30: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Mar 19, 2016 07:54AM) (new)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition omg I just watched the trailer for "Let Me In", it looks awesome... Love that genre in books and movies if it's well done.

message 31: by Brendan (new)

Cool Leslie, I will do that. Terry, did you watch the American or Swedish trailer? If you watched the U.S. one the Swedish one is WAY BETTER. The Swedish one is very artistic in the filming and story line.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Does it have subtitles?

message 33: by Brendan (new)

Yes it does.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I don't mind subtitles, but Amazon only had the American version and Netflix didn't have it at all.

message 35: by Barb (last edited Mar 21, 2016 05:20PM) (new)

Barb Shawcross | 1 comments I loved the Crystal Cave series and read about 5 of the Outlander series before I got bogged down. I read The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind years ago. Just finished A Clash of Kings. I'm almost done The Crow Trap by Ann Cleeves. Before that I read Straight on Till Morning: The Biography of Beryl Markham by Mary S Lovell. Next up- Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. I'm a bit of an eclectic reader!

message 36: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments Currently I'm reading like 5 books. o.O
A Clash of Kings
Matilda (but I keep leaving it at work)
The Night Circus (on audiobook)
Ten Tiny Breaths (ebook before bed)
and just started Afterworlds!

message 37: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

oh I loved the Night Circus.

message 38: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments So far I like it but am having trouble with the format. I'm not very good with audiobooks. lol

message 39: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I am not sure how I would be about listening to that one.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I'm balancing reading Anna Karenina and Clash of Kings -
2 big heavy books at opposite ends of the reading spectrum.

message 41: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Just finished a clash of kings and though I should take a break. So I am currently reading "To kill a mockingbird" and The preacher!
Once I am done with these 2 I 'll begin a storm of swords!!!!

message 42: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I am currently reading Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge Very strange but I like it.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I was thinking about re-reading this series, but I want to read Jane Erye. Decisions, decisions.....

message 44: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Ugh...rereads are so hard for me. I don't do them very often. I have found audios to be great for rereads. But I don't like the narrator on this series. I'm debating too.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Re-reads are hard for me too. After watching GOT I am interested in re-reading them. I tried the audio for GOT, I couldn't stand the narrator. Couldn't concentrate with him trying to do the voices.

message 46: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited May 03, 2016 07:46PM) (new)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Alex Farrand wrote: "Re-reads are hard for me too. After watching GOT I am interested in re-reading them. I tried the audio for GOT, I couldn't stand the narrator. Couldn't concentrate with him trying to do the voices."
I know, it's awful. I have book 3 & 4 on Audible and I just couldn't...it put me off the books for a while. I got through book 3, but I think I will break down and buy an actual book to read for Book 4.

message 47: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Am I the only one who does this with books that have maps?

Reading and loving The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson by Mary E Pearson

photo 20160601_170733_resized_zpsgru4uqo6.jpg

Am I taking this too seriously?

message 48: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Siow (gabesiow) | 1 comments Just started reading this series (huge fan of the tv show) and am trying to catch up with the rest of the group.

message 49: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Gabriel wrote: "Just started reading this series (huge fan of the tv show) and am trying to catch up with the rest of the group."

Which book are you on?

message 50: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (last edited Jun 12, 2016 05:58AM) (new)

June 15th Alex and I are buddy reading A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas right here:

link

Feel free to join in.

« previous 1