You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Cockroaches (Harry Hole, #2)
This topic is about Cockroaches
Buddy Reads > Cockroaches by Jo Nesbø

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Almeta (last edited Feb 22, 2016 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments In March, Dom, Cherie and I are moving on to book 2 of Jo Nesbø 's 's Harry Hole series.

Want to tag along?

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18116 comments I think there is already an old buddy read thread for this one. I'm on the app so can't link but I know I read it with us Janice and Esther so it should still be in this folder if you want to check it out.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47174 comments It was back in January 2014 when we read Cockroaches. It doesn't seem that long ago, does it?

message 4: by Almeta (last edited Feb 22, 2016 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments It would be interesting to view that discussion.

January 2014 Buddy Read of Cockroaches link.

Should we close this thread and continue to add to the old thread, do you think?

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47174 comments You don't need to. You can discuss anew here, and then read the other thread just for interest's sake.

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Dom and I are starting March 6th.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47174 comments I've updated the calendar with March 6th. Enjoy.

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Janice wrote: "I've updated the calendar with March 6th. Enjoy."

Thanks Janice.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Should be good for me!

Casceil | 2613 comments This is going to be an interesting balancing act. The buddy read for The Lake House is starting March 5th. I have acquired a copy of Cockroaches, and I plan to try to do both buddy reads. We'll see how that goes. I notice Cherie also seems to plan to do both.

message 11: by Roz (new) - added it

Roz | 3486 comments I've had this on my kindle for so long. I guess I've needed a push to read it. I'd like to join in. March 6 is fine for me.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I think we will be okay doing both buddy reads, Casceil. I have a week to finish my other three books. Hahaha! I have to wait on the library for my March challenge book.

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments TODAY's the day!!!☺

Dominique  | 1075 comments Yes, will be starting it this afternoon!

Casceil | 2613 comments I started this morning, and I am about 60 pages in (through Chapter 7). I'm enjoying it. The internal politics gets a little confusing sometimes, but I think that has to do with the difficulty I have keeping the foreign names straight. Particularly at the beginning of the book, it took some sorting out. Now that I've gotten far enough into the story to know which names really matter, it's easier. So far (view spoiler)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Part 1

It is odd (view spoiler)

I was hoping that Harry (view spoiler)

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47174 comments Almeta wrote: "Part 1
I was hoping that Harry [spoilers removed]"

I think he's a typical binge drinker.

message 18: by Almeta (last edited Mar 08, 2016 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Part 2
So there's hanky panky (view spoiler).

Part 3
I'm baffled by (view spoiler)

Part 4
My head is spinning over (view spoiler)

Harry is (view spoiler)

Chapter 5
Remind me not to (view spoiler)

It always amazes me that (view spoiler)

Enjoyed the read.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Finished Part One. (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2613 comments I've finished Part Two. (view spoiler)

I'm taking a break from Cockroaches right now to read something else, but I will get back to it in the next day or two.

message 21: by Dominique (last edited Mar 09, 2016 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dominique  | 1075 comments I finished it. I liked it better than the Bat.

(view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Read Part 2 tonight. I listened to Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite 1 and 2 and am listening to Grieg's symphony in C minor as I am writing this.
I have to look up preprandial and ludic.
(view spoiler)
Part 3 will have to wait untill I give some equal time to The Lake House tomorrow night. Off to bed now.

Casceil | 2613 comments Cherie, I'm interested that you are trying to give equal time to Lake House and Cockroaches. I was making some effort at that, and at some point I realized was trying to read four books at once. The deal-breaker was book five, which was released Tuesday--a new Mercy Thompson book. So I sort of dropped everything and read that book. It's a good thing I had Wednesday off from work! I finished the Mercy Thompson book and went back to Cockroaches, and now I am somewhere in Part 4, where levels of complexity are added at a rate that is muddling my mind. I will get back to it this evening.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Casceil wrote: "Cherie, I'm interested that you are trying to give equal time to Lake House and Cockroaches. I was making some effort at that, and at some point I realized was trying to read four books at once. Th..."

I am reading four. One of them is taking a back seat but the third is a library book and I am pretty sure I can renew it again.
It depends on how much time I have after I get home from work. Yesterday, I had to run some errands and decided I wanted to read Part 2 of Cockroaches. I will read Lake House tonight and see where I am at. I determined not to start another until I finish the four I have going. I am saved by having to wait for my March Challenge book. I am still on the wait list at the library. I have many others that I could be reading, but am trying not to.

Casceil | 2613 comments I finished Cockroaches. Too much happened too fast in the last few chapters, and I'm still not sure I got everything that happened. (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2613 comments I figured out part of what was confusing me at the end of the book. (view spoiler)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Casceil wrote: "....I was glad Liz. (view spoiler)

message 28: by Casceil (last edited Mar 12, 2016 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Casceil | 2613 comments I was surprised, too. (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I finished Part 3 today. I'm not sure I understood all that was discussed, but maybe I did. (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2613 comments Oh, Cherie. This is Nesbo. You know it will turn out to be much more convoluted than just "he owed money."

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47174 comments Casceil wrote: "Oh, Cherie. This is Nesbo. You know it will turn out to be much more convoluted than just "he owed money.""

LOL! So true. :)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments ROFL! I don't remember what I wrote, but I love your reaction, Casceil.

I finished The Lake House early this morning so Harry will get my full attention.

I did start an audio book, The Death of an Artist, that I am enjoying at odd moments, when I am doing something that doesn't allow me to be reading.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Finished part 4.
(view spoiler)

Re part 4 (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2613 comments Cherie, re your last part 4 spoiler--I know it looks that way now, but there is still another 80 pages for Nesbo to turn everything upside down and inside out.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Oh, I don't doubt that this will happen! I like the twists and turns. I like how Harry remembers things from The Bat. He feels like a stronger character in this story and has a little more humor. (view spoiler)

Jannene | 2768 comments I love this series! It just gets better with Harry.

message 37: by Cherie (last edited Mar 15, 2016 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Reading Part 5 - Thursday Jan 23rd - Chapter 44 (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I finished. (view spoiler)

When are we going to read the next one?

Dominique  | 1075 comments Cherie wrote: "I finished. [spoilers removed]

When are we going to read the next one?"

I was going to ask the same question!

How about the first week of April around the 3rd?

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I need a month off. I have two other long buddy-reads in April.
If the rest of you are ready to read it then, go ahead.

Casceil | 2613 comments I need a month off, too. At least.

Dominique  | 1075 comments Next read in May?

message 43: by Almeta (last edited Mar 17, 2016 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Dominique (Dom) wrote: "Next read in May?"

May is good for me also. Need to catch up on some other reading challenges.

I'm really looking forward to number 3, The Redbreast. Apparently this is when Jo Nesbø hits his writing stride.

Casceil | 2613 comments May should work.

message 45: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments hello from St Martin!

if you guys are reading in May I can join you. I was worried I'd miss this, so very happy I checked in.

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments May is great for me!

message 47: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Just doing some planning on a sick day off. Anyone had any luck thinking of a task this would fit into for geocaching?

My cover has snow on it but I've already done that task... unless I move it I guess...

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I have Cockroaches as set in Tailand, Rusalka. Are you talking about #3?

message 49: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Sorry. Yes. I meant The Redbreast

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 18116 comments Rusalka wrote: "Sorry. Yes. I meant The Redbreast"

I think there is a time jump in The Redbreast if I remember rightly, some set in one of the wars so it might count for "has an army in it" (can't remember which site that is for). Some of the covers have snow on and some have a bird on.

« previous 1