YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team B (Serious) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Carrie (last edited Mar 07, 2016 09:59AM) (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Team B.:
✔Carrie
✔Jessa
✔Ashley
✔Ari
✔Heather
✔Lindsey

Points per letter:

(1 point)-A, E, I, O, U, L, N, S, T, R.
(2 points)-D, G.
(3 points)-B, C, M, P.
(4 points)-F, H, V, W, Y.
(5 points)-K.
(8 points)- J, X.
(10 points)-Q, Z.

Letter frequency = A×9, B ×2, C ×2, D ×4, E ×12, F ×2, G ×3, H ×2, I ×9, J ×1, K ×1, L ×4, M ×2, N ×6, O ×8, P ×2, Q ×1, R ×6, S ×4, T ×6, U ×4, V ×2, W ×2, X ×1, Y ×2, Z ×1, blank ×2

Rules:
* Each letter has its own points score (as above).
* Each letter can only be used as many times as it appears on a scrabble board (as above)
* Blanks are freebies, and can be used for any letter, they will be awarded 1 point each.
* If a team manages to complete all 100 tiles, they may start the board for a second time.
* Books must be read between the 1st of March to the 31st of March inclusive.
* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books, 300 pages minimum for poetry or books written in verse.)
* Please check with us about re-reads before reading.
* Our regular challenge rules can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
* You can use other editions which have other titles, but only if the title is written using english letters, editions which are written in greek letters or arabic etc. won't count.

* Points will be awarded based on the letter used (as above)
* Buddy reads (which take place within our group) will gain the team 1 bonus point for books under 450 pages, and 2 bonus points for books 450 pages or longer.
* There will be no individual rankings in this game as not everyone will be able to use the higher value letters.

message 2: by Carrie (last edited Mar 27, 2016 10:15PM) (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments A×9 Arouse (Spiral of Bliss, #1) by Nina Lane Allure (Spiral of Bliss, #2) by Nina Lane Awaken (Spiral of Bliss, #3) by Nina Lane Adore (Spiral of Bliss, #4) by Nina Lane Arranged (Arranged Trilogy Book 1) by Julia Crane A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray All the Rage by Courtney Summers The Art of Getting Stared At by Laura Langston Arena by Holly Jennings
B ×2 Blue Waters (A Tainted Water Novella, #1) by India R. Adams The Bodies We Wear by Jeyn Roberts
C ×2 Cowboy Resurrection (Cowboy Cocktail, #2) by Mia Hopkins Cin Wikkid April Fools For Love by Mary Hughes
D ×4 Dead Girls Don't by Mags Storey Drive (Hot Rides, #1) by Sidney Bristol
E ×12
F ×2 Fade into You (Shaken Dirty, #3) by Tracy Wolff Flip This Love by Maggie Wells
G ×3 The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry The Guardian, a Sword, & Stilettos (Enlighten Series, #1) by Kristin D. Van Risseghem The Girl From Home by Adam Mitzner
H ×2 Holding Court by K.C. Held How to Please a Lady (The Lost Heiresses, #2) by Jane Goodger
I ×9 I Know What Love Is (I Know..., #1) by Whitney Bianca Imperfect Love (4ever #1) by Isabella White
J ×1 Jahleel (Loving All Wrong, #1) by S. Ann Cole
K ×1
L ×4 Loving the White Liar by Kate Stewart Last Kiss Goodnight A heart-breaking story of lost children and the power of a mother's love by Teresa Driscoll Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1) by Joe Hart
M ×2 Midnight Lily by Mia Sheridan Magnetic Shift by Lucy D. Briand
N ×6
O ×8 Only Ever You by Rebecca Drake
P ×2 Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy, #1) by Cecily White
Q ×1 The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen
R ×6 Reign (The Henchmen MC, #1) by Jessica Gadziala
S ×4 Shades of Darkness (Ravenborn #1) by A.R. Kahler Stopgap by Liam Card Sociopath by Lime Craven Sapient Salvation 1 The Selection (Sapient Salvation Series) by Jayne Faith
T ×6 Time to Run (Nick of Time #1) by John Gilstrap Time to Hide (Nick of Time #2) by John Gilstrap Time to Steal (Nick of Time #3) by John Gilstrap The Teacher A shocking and compelling new crime thriller – NOT for the faint-hearted! by Katerina Diamond Twisted Up In You by Dawn Martens Tyrant (Scars of the Wraiths #2) by Nashoda Rose
U ×4 Until Midnight (Alienated, #1.5) by Melissa Landers Uncovered (Colours of Love, #2) by Kathryn Taylor
V ×2 Vulnerable (Morgans of Nashville, #4) by Mary Burton The Viper (Untamed Hearts, #1) by Kele Moon
W ×2
X ×1
Y ×2 You and Only You (Blessings, Georgia, #1) by Sharon Sala
Z ×1
Blank ×2 The Slayer (Untamed Hearts, #2) by Kele Moon The Candy Shop War (The Candy Shop War, #1) by Brandon Mull

Review thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Main Challenge Board https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Carrie (last edited Mar 24, 2016 06:50PM) (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments On Hold
Horseplay (Hickville High, #2.5) by Mary Karlik Conspiracy Boy (Angel Academy, #2) by Cecily White

Planned reads

Carrie e-Murderer A Jenna Scali Mystery by Joan C. Curtis

Jessa The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Yard (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #1) by Alex Grecian Everbound (Everneath, #2) by Brodi Ashton In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French Dôme (Dôme, #1) by Stephen King The Outsider (Roswell High, #1) by Melinda Metz If Wishes Were Horses by Robert Barclay Irish Dreams Irish Rebel / Sullivan's Woman by Nora Roberts Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) by Clive Cussler In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce

Ashley Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

Ari The Ex by Alafair Burke Easy Silence by Beth Rinyu Paper Hearts (Hearts, #2) by Claire Contreras

Heather Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger Earthbound (Earthbound, #1) by Aprilynne Pike Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen

Lindsey New Horizons by Dan Carr Z-Burbia (Z-Burbia #1) by Jake Bible Xoe or Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My! (Xoe Meyers, #1) by Sara C. Roethle Once Upon a Scandal by Julie LeMense

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Hey guys, I made a spreadsheet for keeping track of everything but I'm not home from school yet so I will message you all with it later.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments I have a The Queen of the Tearling buddy read set for the 1st so if you don't end up getting it I can count it for Q.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Hey Ashley :) I had planned on adding the book covers next to the letters as we read and post reviews in the second post, can also add any planned reads under those if needed.

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ashley wrote: "I have a The Queen of the Tearling buddy read set for the 1st so if you don't end up getting it I can count it for Q."

If you've got a buddy read set up I can hold off on Queen Song anyway as you'll get the bonus for it. We may need another Q eventually anyway if we clear the board. I read 50 books on my own in January so highly likely we can get to a second set of letters. LOL

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I'm here :)

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Hey Heather :)

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments Hey Carrie!

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments If anyone has any planned reads let me know and I think I'll edit the 3rd post to keep track of those. I'm looking at the letters and thinking I wonder if the hardest to get rid of will be like the E ×12.

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Oh and Xoe: or Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My! Xoe or Vampires, and Werewolves, and Demons, Oh My! (Xoe Meyers, #1) by Sara C. Roethle is a free book on Kindle if anyone would want to read that for X, I've already read it myself and it's not too bad a read for a freebie. :)

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments hmmm i'm going to look on my tbr!

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I'm going to read Under the Never Sky, Queen of the tearling, and Carry On for sure

message 15: by Carrie (last edited Feb 22, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ashley has a buddy read for Queen of the Tearling on the first that I put her down for it and we only need one Q so we could put yours on a hold if you read before getting a new board. Guess I won't worry about Queen Song since I doubt we can clear it twice. LOL I'll put you down for Under and Carry On for now though on the planned reads.

I'm a Netgalley reader myself so I pretty much read by the date they are published, not real sure what I'll be needing to read by next week.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments oh boy!

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments If I don't start it tonight I can read Days of Blood and Starlight too!

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments Here is the spreadsheet I made last week to help with tracking: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

We can use The Queen of the Tearling for T if needed.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments it's not needed believe me I will cover T for sure!

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I will cover W too!

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Last team challenge we basically did a first come first served type of thing. So I suppose whoever posts the Q review first can clear that then we could either use it as T or blank or hold for another board. I'm guessing we can rearrange them as needed too.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments that's a good idea so we can complete boards! I'm reading War and Peace for the W!!

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments I have Holding Court by K.C. Held for a blog tour on the 7th so I won't be able to post the review until that day but would be an H.

Also, Cowboy Resurrection (Cowboy Cocktail, #2) by Mia Hopkins on the 15th.

And Drive (Hot Rides, #1) by Sidney Bristol on the 17th.

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments But....If anyone has those letters before I'm able to post reviews then go ahead and do it and mine could be used later.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments We are going to slay at this challenge :)

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Looking at my books I still think all those Es will be the hardest. I have A, B, C, D, F, G, H, lots of Ss and Ts... a couple Vs, Ws....

missing books with vowels, unless I found something that is A... such and such.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I will go look on my tbr right now for an E!

message 28: by Carrie (new)

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I have these Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger Earthbound (Earthbound, #1) by Aprilynne Pike Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Any fans of Sue Grafton? She goes through the whole alphabet with her titles.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments I have those 4 E's and I really need to get through those!

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Oh good, we need 12 of them so that will help Heather :)

We also need 9 I's... yuck. The Q, J, X, and Z looked tough right away but it's those vowels will have to worry about since there are so many.

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments yay!

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments These are my plans so far, all are BR's The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

message 35: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments I will update the planned reads later tonight for each of you. Wanting to finish the one I'm reading but I check off and on all the time so will try to keep us updated all month fairly quickly. :)

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather | 10195 comments if not I will try to help as i'm almost on here all the time lol

message 37: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (keyapaha16) | 64 comments Yay! I'm here! I'm here! I just need to catch up on reading all the messages here and I'll be good to go! Sorry for being late to the party! Lol

message 38: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (keyapaha16) | 64 comments I can do The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson for "W". It's a biiiig book! But it will only take me a day or two to finish it. So we'll get that! :D

message 39: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments No worries Jessa, we're just excited obviously. Technically we have a week before we start anyway. LOL

message 40: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (keyapaha16) | 64 comments いっI'll also start looking for some more to pile up on my table! :D

message 41: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments E, I and O are probably the worst of the board really. Need a lot of them and not too many come to mind to me. Heather found a few Es so that will help.

message 42: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (keyapaha16) | 64 comments Ok. Here's what I can do. Just pulled these from my one bookshelf.
The Yard (Scotland Yard's Murder Squad, #1) by Alex Grecian
Everbound (Everneath, #2) by Brodi Ashton
In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French
Under the Dome by Stephen King
The Outsider (Roswell High, #1) by Melinda Metz
If Wishes Were Horses by Robert Barclay
Irish Dreams Irish Rebel / Sullivan's Woman by Nora Roberts
Incarceron (Incarceron, #1) by Catherine Fisher
Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) by Clive Cussler
In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2) by Tamora Pierce

message 43: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (keyapaha16) | 64 comments I do have plenty of other letters too, but I found these trying to find the E, I, O. XD

message 44: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments From "one" bookshelf Jessa? Maybe those letters aren't as hard as I thought if you have more shelves you haven't even checked yet. ;)

message 45: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (keyapaha16) | 64 comments Lol yup. I have what people call a problem and I just buy books. XD. I read pretty fast, but I buy faster!

message 46: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments I have a click the request button on Netgalley addiction but at least it saves me money. LOL

Added a few that I should have upcoming by their dates if I don't get them done this week. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself though so may need to tweak my order as I read.

Heading to bed now though but I think I got all the planned books updated. :)

message 47: by Ari (new)

Ari (faeorphysicist) | 153 comments I'm Here

message 48: by Ari (last edited Feb 24, 2016 06:28AM) (new)

Ari (faeorphysicist) | 153 comments I can do:
V- The Viper (Untamed Hearts, #1) by Kele Moon
S- The Slayer (Untamed Hearts, #2) by Kele Moon
J- Jahleel (Loving All Wrong, #1) by S. Ann Cole
K- Keeping Jahleel Jahleel #1.5 (Loving All Wrong) by Cole Books
L- Loving the White Liar by Kate Stewart
E- The Ex by Alafair Burke
T- Tyrant (Scars of the Wraiths #2) by Nashoda Rose

Guys I'm in the midst of my finals, so these were all I could search at this time. I'll add more with time. Is there any particular letter you want me to cover? And I'm just saying that I might disappear a few times in Feb, because of my exams so please don't worry. I'm not leaving the challenge.

message 49: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Hi Ari, good to have you. :) I'll get those added to the planned reads and I believe Ashley has a spreadsheet she's going to keep to help track too. Really it's just going to be watch for open letters and work on what you can I think. I was noticing we need a lot of E, I and O to clear.

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (xanthax) | 2525 comments In March I plan to clear out my Netgalley shelf and I think I have a few U's, a B and an H but I will see later.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.