YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team F (Medium) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 236 (236 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Drishti (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:23PM) (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1090 comments Team Members

Jamie ✓
Drishti ✓
Madisson ✓
Linda ✓
Danielle ✓

message 2: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1090 comments Points per letter:

(1 point)- A, E, I, O, U, L, N, S, T, R.
(2 points)- D, G.
(3 points)- B, C, M, P.
(4 points)- F, H, V, W, Y.
(5 points)- K.
(8 points)- J, X.
(10 points)- Q, Z.

Letter frequency = A ×9, B ×2, C ×2, D ×4, E ×12, F ×2, G ×3, H ×2, I ×9, J ×1, K ×1, L ×4, M ×2, N ×6, O ×8, P ×2, Q ×1, R ×6, S ×4, T ×6, U ×4, V ×2, W ×2, X ×1, Y ×2, Z ×1, blank ×2

Rules:
* Each letter has its own points score (as above).
* Each letter can only be used as many times as it appears on a scrabble board (as above)
* Blanks are freebies, and can be used for any letter, they will be awarded 1 point each.
* If a team manages to complete all 100 tiles, they may start the board for a second time.
* Books must be read between the 1st of March to the 31st of March inclusive.
* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books, 300 pages minimum for poetry or books written in verse.)
* Please check with us about re-reads before reading.
* Our regular challenge rules can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
* You can use other editions which have other titles, but only if the title is written using english letters, editions which are written in greek letters or arabic etc. won't count.

* Points will be awarded based on the letter used (as above)
* Buddy reads (which take place within our group) will gain the team 1 bonus point for books under 450 pages, and 2 bonus points for books 450 pages or longer.
* There will be no individual rankings in this game as not everyone will be able to use the higher value letters.

message 3: by Drishti (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:12PM) (new)

message 4: by Drishti (last edited Feb 22, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1090 comments Hi guys! :-)

I have some buddy reads already planned. For these books:
Queen of Shadows, Room, Insurgent, The Last Olympian, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Carry On and Let It Snow. So, I'm gonna claim those tiles.

Also, do you guys think we should use a spreadsheet to track our books or a post on this thread would work?

message 5: by linda (new)

linda | 85 comments Hi! : )

We could use a google spreadsheet or something.
And I was planning on reading Queen of Tearling and Queen Song first.

message 6: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1090 comments linda wrote: "Hi! : )

And I was planning on reading Queen of Tearling and Queen Song first."

Hi Linda! =) I plan on reading a book starting with Q too! That can be a problem. Or perhaps we can use some for the blanks?

I have very little experience with spreadsheets. So, if someone has more experience can make the spreadsheet, it would be great. I just don't want to mess something up.

message 7: by linda (new)

linda | 85 comments Drishti wrote: "Hi Linda! =) I plan on reading a book starting with Q ..."

Oh! I totally didn't realize there's a limited letter frequency. Yeah, I'll just read Queen Song and then we can use a blank for Q since it's 10 pts.

I'll take a look at the spreadsheets too (altho I haven't use google spreadsheets before I'll mess around with it).

message 8: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1090 comments linda wrote: "Drishti wrote: "Hi Linda! =) I plan on reading a book starting with Q ..."

Oh! I totally didn't realize there's a limited letter frequency. Yeah, I'll just read Queen Song and then we can use a bl..."

That would be great! BTW I've been trying to figure out google spreadsheets for the last half hour, but no progress there!

message 9: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments I would love to volunteer to track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I created another thread here: Team F Progress and will keep that updated with who is reading what and who is done with what. Please chat here, and let me know what you're reading/planning on reading here.

Team F Progress thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Drishti wrote: "Hi guys! :-)

I have some buddy reads already planned. For these books:
Queen of Shadows, Room, Insurgent, The Last Olympian, [book:Fa..."

I put you down for all of those on our Progress thread!

message 11: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments linda wrote: "Hi! : )

And I was planning on reading Queen of Tearling and Queen Song first."

I can do a Google spreadsheet, if you all prefer ☺

Also, I put you down for Queen Song for a Blank tile ☺

A reminder to everyone, try to read as many Buddy Reads as you can - they give us more points! If you have a book you plan to read and don't have a buddy, check here to see if there is a planned buddy read for that book. If there isn't, post here to request a buddy!

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments I got X covered with Xisle

message 13: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Jamie wrote: "I got X covered with Xisle"

Ok! Is it Xisle by Steve Augarde? Don't forget to ask for a buddy on this thread!

message 14: by Jamie (last edited Feb 22, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Just doubled checked the rules Sarah posted, but initial post says blanks are only worth 1 pt and was rementioned about 12 hours ago with bookbuyer. So the extra Qs won't make a difference.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Danielle wrote: "Jamie wrote: "I got X covered with Xisle"

Ok! Is it Xisle by Steve Augarde? Don't forget to ask for a buddy on this thread!"

Yes. And I have actually been trying to read it since January as a buddy read with no luck, Xisle just happens to help us a lot this month and is due back to library on the 6th.

message 16: by Jamie (last edited Feb 22, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Also got W covered w/ Without a Doubt and With This Ring. Both buddy reads :)

message 17: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Jamie wrote: "Just doubled checked the rules Sarah posted, but initial post says blanks are only worth 1 pt and was rementioned about 12 hours ago with bookbuyer. So the extra Qs won't make a difference."

Right, so just read one Q book for one of the "Q" tiles and Drishti will read for the other "Q" tile (since there are only two "Q" tiles).

message 18: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments I signed up for an "A" tile with Attachments, its a group buddy read this month. A "S" tile with Shadow and Bone, a buddy read. And a "V" tile with Vampire Academy and I'm looking for a buddy for it.

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 46614 comments Mod
Hey guys :) and I'll take an S with the selection :) that okay? Shall I just list the books I'm going to read soon?

message 20: by Jamie (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:00PM) (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Maddison wrote: "Hey guys :) and I'll take an S with the selection :) that okay? Shall I just list the books I'm going to read soon?"

I would say if they are books you are positive to read (the first part of the month especially) then yes. Or it it is more tentative just let everyone know so someone else can step up if need be later in the month. :)

message 21: by Jamie (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:05PM) (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Some books I hope to read in March (but still slightly tentative):

The Burnouts (B)
Ashley Bell (A)
Rebel Nation (R)
Pride and Prejudice (P)
Earth's Descent (E)9 Will be reading for sure.
Daylighters (D)

message 22: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1090 comments Danielle wrote: "I signed up for an "A" tile with Attachments, its a group buddy read this month. A "S" tile with Shadow and Bone, a buddy read. And a "V" tile with [book:Vampire Acad..."

Add me for Attachments too!

message 23: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:10PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Jamie wrote: "Maddison wrote: "Hey guys :) and I'll take an S with the selection :) that okay? Shall I just list the books I'm going to read soon?"

I would say if they are books you are positive to read (the fi..."

Agree - everyone sign up for, like, three, i.e., to start, that you'll for sure read. Then go from there. Like sign up for a few at a time. To keep planning easy and to keep things fair ☺

message 24: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:15PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Jamie wrote: "Some books I hope to read in March (but still slightly tentative):

The Burnouts (B)
Ashley Bell (A)
Rebel Nation (R)
Pride and Prejudice (P)
Earth's Descent (E)9 Will be reading for sure.
Daylight..."

I put Earth's Decent on the list for now since it's for sure ☺ Can you tell me the author? Or is there a full, longer title? & Is it a BR (buddy read)?

message 25: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:15PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Maddison wrote: "Hey guys :) and I'll take an S with the selection :) that okay? Shall I just list the books I'm going to read soon?"

Got ya on the list for "S"! ☺ Is it a BR (buddy read)?

message 26: by Maddie (new)

Yes, but I probably won't be discussing that much. Will we get more points for it if it's a discussed buddy read? If so, how much would I need to discuss?

message 27: by Maddie (new)

Books I'm certain to read.

The BFG (B)
Throne of Glass (T)
The Wicked Will Rise (W)

message 28: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Maddison wrote: "Yes, but I probably won't be discussing that much. Will we get more points for it if it's a discussed buddy read? If so, how much would I need to discuss?"

You only have to comment a minimum of four times in the buddy read thread. We get bonus points for it!!! You can stem off others too, like agree or disagree with their comment, and why. The mods basically want enough detail from you that it seems like you legitimately read the book ☺

message 29: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 22, 2016 08:09PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Maddison wrote: "Books I'm certain to read.

The BFG (B)
Throne of Glass (T)
The Wicked Will Rise (W)"

Got ya on the list for the "B" & "T" tiles but Jamie beat you to both "W" tiles, as there are only two. Do you have another book to read? Or, Jamie would you be willing to give a "W" to Maddison? We have blanks but it's early in the game still :/

Also, I have Throne of Glass too, so I'll buddy read that with you! ☺ Like I said, you only have to say four things ☺ I'll post the URL to the buddy read here soon. I'll just tell her to put it for 3/1/16 and we can read & comment at our leisure.

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Danielle wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Some books I hope to read in March (but still slightly tentative):

The Burnouts (B)
Ashley Bell (A)
Rebel Nation (R)
Pride and Prejudice (P)
Earth's Descent (E)9 Will be reading for ..."

Earth's Descent by Rachel Meehan-not a BR
also got 1 more for sure for
Until Midnight that is a BR

message 31: by Maddie (new)

Oh, I forgot to say that all of mine are buddy reads. I'm behind on a lot, so I'm going down my list. And I'll make sure to update a bit then. But feel free to make another thread for Throne of Glass. Assuming that I'll be waiting that long to start it. Do I need to wait until March to read it?

message 32: by Maddie (new)

I'm starting The Selection now.

And that's fine that I don't have a W tile :) I don't mind.

message 33: by Maddie (last edited Feb 22, 2016 11:19PM) (new)

Made my first update on The Selection thread.

message 34: by Jamie (last edited Feb 23, 2016 12:09AM) (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Maddison, we cannot count any books we start before March 1st. By starting the Selection, you can no longer use if for the challenge, having started too soon to count it.

Books have to be read exclusively between the first and last day of the month. I've seen people start just 20 minutes early and told it doesn't count.

message 35: by Maddie (new)

Oh okay. Then probably none of my books will count. I'm sorry. Not sure how much time I'll have to read, because my uni classes start next week. But I'll try. Just don't put any books down for me just yet.

message 36: by Maddie (new)

And does that mean that my updates are totally useless? Ugh that's so frustrating. My luck is never good with challenges :/

message 37: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1090 comments Danielle, I don't have a buddy read for Queen of Shadows. There,was a mistake on my part when I posted my books. Sorry!

message 38: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 23, 2016 08:41AM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Maddison wrote: "Oh okay. Then probably none of my books will count. I'm sorry. Not sure how much time I'll have to read, because my uni classes start next week. But I'll try. Just don't put any books down for me j..."

So ... perhaps you would be better off on a just for fun team?? I don't mean to sound rude but the medium teams are a commitment to read at least 8 books for this challenge.

message 39: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Drishti wrote: "Danielle, I don't have a buddy read for Queen of Shadows. There,was a mistake on my part when I posted my books. Sorry!"

No prob! If you haven't already go see if someone wants to buddy read it with you on this thread ☺

message 40: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Jamie wrote: "Earth's Descent by Rachel Meehan-not a BR
also got 1 more for sure for
Until Midnight that is a BR "

Okay got ya on the list ☺

message 41: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Maddison wrote: "And does that mean that my updates are totally useless? Ugh that's so frustrating. My luck is never good with challenges :/"

Correct. Anything you do before March 1st doesn't count.

message 42: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments Yes, I agree with Danielle. IF March does not work out due to school (which I fully understand school is first) and you cannot read and review at least 8 books between the required dates, just let Sarah know on the original challenge thread so she can switch things around. This way you don't let your teammates down nor feel overwhelmed with a reading commitment. But if you feel you can still do at least 8 books and just need to re-figure out what books to read think we all fully understand that as well :)

message 43: by linda (new)

linda | 85 comments I'm going to for sure read Queen Song (I'll look for a buddy for it) and I'm going to buddy read Everything, Everything!

message 44: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 23, 2016 11:55AM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments linda wrote: "I'm going to for sure read Queen Song (I'll look for a buddy for it) and I'm going to buddy read Everything, Everything!"

Okay we'll have to use a blank space for Queen Song then I guess because Drishti beat you to the only "Q" tile available.

message 45: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments On the blanks I wouldn't dictate so much who gets which, I would think it better to simply say whoever finishes first take Q, and if the other finishes, take a blank. Same with the W's since there are 3 being used. That way we get the higher points for sure right away. It also covers us in case a book is dnf'ed or a review not posted in time, etc. Things happen.

message 46: by Danielle ♥ (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Jamie wrote: "On the blanks I wouldn't dictate so much who gets which, I would think it better to simply say whoever finishes first take Q, and if the other finishes, take a blank. Same with the W's since there ..."

Definitely. Whoever finishes and post the review first will get it. I'm just trying to help people plan ☺

message 47: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11004 comments You are doing a great job keeping things running smooth. :) A lot more than I have time to dedicate right now so it is appreciated. :)

message 48: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Feb 23, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 2219 comments Jamie wrote: "You are doing a great job keeping things running smooth. :) A lot more than I have time to dedicate right now so it is appreciated. :)"

Aww thank you! It is no problem, it is what I enjoy most out of these challenges, to be honest, I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the actual reading ☺ I'm like a natural born administrator; I love tracking/spreadsheets/etc. so I appreciate you all letting me do that ☺

message 49: by linda (last edited Feb 23, 2016 12:44PM) (new)

linda | 85 comments Okay, so I made a spreadsheet and we don't have to use it, but I feel like it'd be faster if we have a software keep track of counting & everyone can edit it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Tell me if the link works! And whether it's confusing.

I know we have the thread but this is just to keep count of numbers. : )
(unless you already did that too, haha)

message 50: by Maddie (new)

I'll still get 8 books read, don't worry.

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.