Mock Newbery 2023 discussion

Newbery 2017 > 2017 Is Off & Rolling

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 576 comments Mod
The new year has started off with some strong contenders. It's possible that the next Newbery award is already out there, being read by children in libraries across the country. With that in mind we shall start our quest to find the next award winning book. So... what are you reading?

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Our book of the month polls have started. You may vote here:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 179 comments Thanks for including a picture book in the poll for our first read. I hope we will have opportunities to discuss how to evaluate the text of a picture book by Newbery criteria. I was unprepared for the winner last year.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 1 comments I agree. I too was unprepared. This would be very helpful!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 412 comments Pamela wrote: "I agree. I too was unprepared. This would be very helpful!"

I think we were all unprepared for this year's winner. I practically eat, sleep and breathe picture books. It stunned me.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarcher) | 25 comments My Mock Newbery Club at school (4th and 5th graders) and even some of my students in my 3rd grade book club were very surprised and disappointed in the selection. But I might just toss in a couple of picture books for us to discuss this time around.

message 7: by Czechgirl (new)

Czechgirl | 214 comments For books published in 2016: I have read Paper Wishes by Lois Sepahban

I am currently reading: Pax by Sara Pennypacker

Next I will read: Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart and The Key to Extraordinary by Natalie Lloyd

On my TBR shopping list is: Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo; Summerlost by Allie Condie; Hour of Bees by Lindsey Eagar; Booked by Kwame Alexander; Mayday by Karen Harrington; Remarkable Journey of Charlie Price by Jennifer Maschari; Red: True Story of Red Riding Hood by Liesel Shurtliff

Looking for more great titles to put on my list!

message 8: by Kristen (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:02AM) (new)

Waylon! One Awesome Thing was well written. I love it when books for younger children make the mock Newbery lists.

It was also written by Sara Pennypacker

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarcher) | 25 comments Kristen wrote: "Waylon! One Awesome Thing was well written. I love it when books for younger children make the mock Newbery lists.

It was also written by Sara Pennypacker"

I really liked Waylon! One Awesome Thing, too. I'm definitely ordering it for the library. I probably won't get to Pax until Spring Break, but one of my students has already read it. And she really likes. it.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 412 comments Pennypacker is on quite the roll. Kudos for her!

message 11: by Ana (new)

Ana Marlatt | 72 comments I just finished Some Kind of Courage and loved it. Now I am starting The Key to Extraordinary.

message 12: by Patti (new)

Patti | 1 comments Just finished Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk. I haven't read a book this touching, thoughtful and masterfully written in a very long time. I highly recommend it for this list. It will be released on May 3rd. This beautifully written historical fiction is reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 13: by Bev (new)

Bev | 7 comments I'm new here. I am wondering if other books are being reviewed besides Pax? That's the only book I'm getting notices about by email. Am on the wrong site?

message 14: by Annette (new)

Annette | 19 comments Bev wrote: "I'm new here. I am wondering if other books are being reviewed besides Pax? That's the only book I'm getting notices about by email. Am on the wrong site?"

We have one book a month that we read and discuss - Pax is the book for March. However, on some of the other threads, people will bring up books they are reading and enjoying. It's early in the year, so it's quiet, but things will ramp up!

message 15: by Bev (new)

Bev | 7 comments Thank you!

message 16: by Bev (new)

Bev | 7 comments I just finished reading Pax and totally loved it.

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie J | 6 comments Laura wrote: "Pamela wrote: "I agree. I too was unprepared. This would be very helpful!"

I think we were all unprepared for this year's winner. I practically eat, sleep and breathe picture books. It stunned me."

I was unprepared for the winner, and don't agree with the judges. I feel the pictures change the meaning of the story. Disappointed in their choice, but now let's start reading for another year!

message 18: by Franki (new)

Franki Sibberson | 37 comments I am trying to catch up on some reading over Spring Break. I did love Pax. I have also read Key to Extraordinary, Land of Forgotten Girls, Maybe a Fox and I have Wolf's Hollow on my stack. Seems like there are lots of good possibilities this year.

message 19: by Bev (new)

Bev | 7 comments Franki wrote: "I am trying to catch up on some reading over Spring Break. I did love Pax. I have also read Key to Extraordinary, Land of Forgotten Girls, Maybe a Fox and I have Wolf's Hollow on my stack. Seems li..."

What did you think of Key to Extraordinary, Land of Forgotten Girls, and Maybe a Fox ? I'm looking for good books to read during Spring break.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Levy (teachreadrepeat) | 4 comments Bev- I just finished Key and LOVED IT! I highly recommend adding that to your spring break list.

message 21: by Bev (new)

Bev | 7 comments Sarah wrote: "Bev- I just finished Key and LOVED IT! I highly recommend adding that to your spring break list."

Thanks Sarah! :)

message 22: by Denise (new)

Denise Vetromile | 47 comments I have just finished reading Hour of the Bees and highly recommend it. Have already decided that it is a definite choice for my 4th grade Mock Newbery Book Club next year. I think the theme/discussion potential is amazing!

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha I just finished reading Hour of the Bees last night! Not sure why our library put it in YA collection. I know it's just me, but I cried like a baby while reading it - really hit the 'realistic' button with me even through his stories, which are not.

message 24: by Denise (new)

Denise Vetromile | 47 comments Martha wrote: Not sure why our library put it in YA collection.
Hi Martha. Would love to hear your thinking about recommending this book for 4th graders (reading above grade level). Thanks! Denise

message 25: by Martha (new)

Martha Denise wrote: "Martha wrote: Not sure why our library put it in YA collection.
Hi Martha. Would love to hear your thinking about recommending this book for 4th graders (reading above grade level). Thanks! Denise"

I would recommend for 4th graders. Those who have grandparents suffering from dementia could especially relate. In fact several themes would be appropriate for discussion.

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol M | 47 comments Who has read Raymie Nightingale? What do you think? More importantly, who do you recommend it to?

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Tanner | 24 comments I finished Raymie Nightingale last night (they had it at my Costco for $10). I thought there were parts of it that were completely brilliant and I liked it but I didn't love it. I love Kate DiCamillo and I know there are kids who will like it. My guess would be 3rd,4th and 5th grade girls (all the main characters are girls) who like books that are sort of sad... it would fit in well with the social issues unit my 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade kids do.

message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise Vetromile | 47 comments Just finished reading The Bitter Side of Sweet this past week. While reading it, I was a little worried that it would not be appropriate for 4th grade readers, but the ending resolved my issues. A tough read, emotionally, but it deals with a real world issue. Having read this book, I will no longer buy or eat chocolate that is not "fair trade."

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen Ferry (librarygarden) | 86 comments Can someone post the link to Jen's starred booklist google doc thingamajig! I[always think i'm going to remember the name of it and I never do.
Thanks,

message 30: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III Denise wrote: "Just finished reading The Bitter Side of Sweet this past week. While reading it, I was a little worried that it would not be appropriate for 4th grade readers, but the ending resolv..."

I have my eye on this one, so it's good to hear your thoughts on it.

message 31: by Deborah (last edited Apr 19, 2016 08:07AM) (new)

Deborah (bookgirl4ever) Jen wrote: "Can someone post the link to Jen's starred booklist google doc thingamajig! I[always think i'm going to remember the name of it and I never do.
Thanks,"

Starred Titles

message 32: by Martha (new)

Martha I just finished Raymie Nightingale. Wonderful writing, getting into the thoughts and feelings of these girls who don't have much dialogue. The loneliness and loss brings them together.

message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill | 2 comments On the picture book front, I am very taken with Philip Stead's Ideas Are All Around. I think it might be a difficult book to discuss with the Newbery criteria in mind because it is very brief, and the illustrations are so charming and add so much to the story that it will be difficult NOT to take them into consideration. But the ideas in the story are actually pretty big ideas, and every page seems like it could really give a child something to think about. In addition, I think he uses some literary techniques that you don't see very often in books meant for children this age. On one page, the narrator goes from talking about how he sometimes whistles like a bird to call his dog back from chasing a squirrel, and on the next page, his dog runs off chasing a squirrel. You don't see many picture books making use of foreshadowing! I really liked it and I wonder if it might not be worth discussing.

message 34: by Ana (new)

Ana Marlatt | 72 comments I read Raymie Nightinglale and loved it. It is a classic DiCamillo story. Great writing and lots of ways to connect to the characters and the plot. I am almost done with Wild Robot. Oh my gosh - I LOVE it so far. It is fast becoming one of my favorite books since the announcement of the Newberry winner.

message 35: by Laura (last edited Apr 20, 2016 05:55PM) (new)

Laura Harrison | 412 comments Jill wrote: "On the picture book front, I am very taken with Philip Stead's Ideas Are All Around. I think it might be a difficult book to discuss with the Newbery criteria in mind because it is very brief, and ..."

I love Ideas Are All Around. It is exceptional and definitely worth discussing. Another picture book I just finished is Don't Call Me Grandma by Vaunda Michaux Nelson. I think the writing is better than Last Stop on Market Street and the illustrations are phenomenal. Could win a Newbery and a Caldecott for 2017.

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3 comments The Wild Robot and Paper Wishes are two of my early picks for the Newbery. I am looking forward to reading Raymie Nightingale next.

message 37: by Erin (last edited Apr 22, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Erin (erinelyse) | 60 comments I just finished The Wild Robot, and while I really enjoyed the book and I can't wait to recommend it to kids, I'm not sure if I can call it distinguished. I will be eager to hear what others think.

I LOVED Booked, Maybe a Fox, and Raymie Nightingale - but none of them impressed me as much as Pax which was just outstanding in my opinion. I am reading Samurai Rising now, and so far it's fantastic.

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim McGee (kimsbookstack) | 76 comments I found myself thinking about the book long after I read it. That to me means that it is distinguished enough to be considered. I just finished Wolf Hollow and it left me feeling sad. The writing for middle grade is getting more heart wrenching which leaves me wanting to read a cute sappy story.

message 39: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinelyse) | 60 comments Maybe that's why I am not as enthused by The Wild Robot. I anticipated a funny, quirky story, and instead it was just as depressing as most of the middle grade books I've read this year.

message 40: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 77 comments I loved the first two thirds of The Wild Robot, but was very disappointed by the turn it took in the last third. I actually got teary earlier on in the book and was just annoyed by the ending.

message 41: by Luke (new)

Luke Quaranta | 19 comments I am a 5th grade reading teacher. I read both Pax and Raymie Nightingale. I thought both were excellent books with Raymie being slightly better. As a teacher neither of these two books seem to strike the interest on my students to read independently. Now my high girl reading group who has read Stargirl, Love, Stargirl, From the Mixed Up Files. Pictures of Hollis Woods, and When You Reach Me would love it once they got into it and we discussed it. Also if I did Pax as a read aloud the kids would all love it. It is just they do not just out as books 5th would be excited about reading.

message 42: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinelyse) | 60 comments Just finished Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart, and it's my new favorite for gold! Brilliant!!

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 412 comments Erin wrote: "Just finished Some Kind of Courage by Dan Gemeinhart, and it's my new favorite for gold! Brilliant!!"

Check out Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk. Pretty darn fantastic.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 87 comments So I just finished one of the best books I have read in a long time. Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk. It has been getting a lot of buzz and I can see why. Debut children's book though she has an adult novel. This one is on my short list for sure and will be hard to top.
. Anyone else read it?

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 412 comments Lisa wrote: "So I just finished one of the best books I have read in a long time. Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk. It has been getting a lot of buzz and I can see why. Debut children's book though she has an adult n..."

This title is slowly but surely building momentum and buzz. It would be awesome if it swoops in and wins a Newbery.

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin Hoffman | 6 comments I completely agree, Lisa. It was excellent storytelling, start to finish. Wolf Hollow boasts colorful and memorable characters and with twists along the way, to keep readers and listeners fully engaged. Honestly, it is a stunning debut and should be receiving high praise. I believe it has garnered four stars, already. It is definitely a contender for the big prize!

message 47: by Kim (new)

Kim McGee (kimsbookstack) | 76 comments I too loved WOLF HOLLOW. It tackles some very dramatic and serious subject matter in a thoughtful way. I like that it didn't have that perfect Disney ending. I would vote for this book today for the Newbery.

message 48: by Erin (last edited May 07, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Erin (erinelyse) | 60 comments Is anyone else just blown away by the quality of kid's lit this year? I've read so many outstanding books this year, and I still have a massive stack of to-be-read titles. I hope we see more than three stickers this year.

message 49: by Barb (new)

Barb | 35 comments So far in 2016, my favorite reads have been Pax and Some Kind of Courage. Love seeing young male protagonists with character and courage.

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina | 24 comments Wolf Hollow was an incredible story. So far this is my Newbery pick

« previous 1 3