YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team L (Medium) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mei (last edited Mar 04, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Hi Team! Please check in with us before March 1 as much as possible so we can start planning.

✔ Lakshmi
✔ Abby
✔ Mei
✔ Michelle
✔ Eunique

Main Challenge Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Review Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Letter Frequency:
A ×9, B ×2, C ×2, D ×4, E ×12, F ×2, 
G ×3, H ×2, I ×9, J ×1, K ×1, L ×4, M ×2,
N ×6, O ×8, P ×2, Q ×1, R ×6, S ×4, T ×6,
U ×4, V ×2, W ×2, X ×1, Y ×2, Z ×1, blank ×2

Points per letter:

(1 point)-A, E, I, O, U, L, N, S, T, R.
(2 points)-D, G.
(3 points)-B, C, M, P.
(4 points)-F, H, V, W, Y.
(5 points)-K.
(8 points)- J, X.
(10 points)-Q, Z.

Challenge rules:
* Each letter has its own points score (as above).
* Each letter can only be used as many times as it appears on a scrabble board (as above)
* Blanks are freebies, and can be used for any letter, they will be awarded 1 point each.
* If a team manages to complete all 100 tiles, they may start the board for a second time.
* Books must be read between the 1st of March to the 31st of March inclusive.
* Books must be over 100 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books, 300 pages minimum for poetry or books written in verse.)
* Please check with us about re-reads before reading.
* Our regular challenge rules can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
* You can use other editions which have other titles, but only if the title is written using english letters, editions which are written in greek letters or arabic etc. won't count.

* Points will be awarded based on the letter used (as above)
* Buddy reads (which take place within our group) will gain the team 1 bonus point for books under 450 pages, and 2 bonus points for books 450 pages or longer.
* There will be no individual rankings in this game as not everyone will be able to use the higher value letters.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I'm here. :)
Thanks for posting the rules in the group too. It'll help not having to go back and look at them all the time.

message 3: by Mei (last edited Mar 14, 2016 10:45PM) (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Tiles left:
A ×8, B ×2, C ×1, D ×4, E ×12,F ×0, 
G ×1, H ×0, I ×9, J ×0, K ×0, L ×4, M ×0,
N ×5, O ×8, P ×1, Q ×1, R ×5, S ×3, T ×3,
U ×3, V ×2, W ×0, X ×1, Y ×1, Z ×1, blank ×2

Planned Books:

If everyone can please state what they're planning to read this March so we can plan ahead. :)

A - The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13) by Agatha Christie (Abby, Mar. 9)
B -
C - Champion (Legend, #3) by Marie Lu (Lakshmi, Mar. 13)
D -
E - Ensnared (Splintered, #3) by A.G. Howard
✔ F - Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella (Lakshmi, Mar. 10) Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers (Mei, Mar. 14)
G - Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2) by Richelle Mead (Lakshmi, Mar. 9) The Gladiator by Carla Capshaw (Michelle, Mar. 12)
✔ H - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling The Hours Count by Jillian Cantor (Abby, Mar. 12) The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2) by Mary E. Pearson (Lakshmi, Mar. 11)
I - The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey
✔ J - Just One Day (Just One Day, #1) by Gayle Forman (Lakshmi, Mar. 5)
✔ K - The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1) by Mary E. Pearson (Lakshmi, Mar. 4)
L -
✔ M - Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman (Michelle, Mar. 6) The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen (Lakshmi, Mar. 12)
N - November 9 by Colleen Hoover (Lakshmi, Mar. 2)
O - Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
P - Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu (Lakshmi, Mar. 1)
Q - The Queen's Soprano by Carol Dines
R - Room by Emma Donoghue (Abby, Mar. 6)
S - Scent of Magic (Healer, #2) by Maria V. Snyder (Lakshmi, Mar. 8) The Sixteen Burdens by David Khalaf
T - A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray (Abby, Mar. 6) The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6) by Eoin Colfer (Abby, Mar. 14) To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han (Lakshmi, Mar. 14) The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
U - Unhinged (Splintered, #2) by A.G. Howard Uninvited by Amanda Marrone Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) by Tahereh Mafi (Lakshmi, Mar. 7) Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi
V - Väärän vänkyrä talo by Agatha Christie
✔ W - White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black (Michelle, Mar. 13) Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer (Lakshmi, Mar. 6)
X -
Y - You Wish by Mandy Hubbard You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher (Abby, Mar. 4)
Z - Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story, #1) by Rusty Fischer
Blank - The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees Fast Forward by Juliet Madison

message 4: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Abby wrote: "I'm here. :)
Thanks for posting the rules in the group too. It'll help not having to go back and look at them all the time."

Great! Yeah I keep doing that, too so I just posted it for everyone's convenience. Hi Abby! I think it's my first time being in a team with you :) What are you planning to read?

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Here's what I'm planning on reading:
Room by Emma Donoghue A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown

message 6: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments That's great!

Here's mine:
With This Heart by R.S. Grey Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers Unhinged (Splintered, #2) by A.G. Howard Ensnared (Splintered, #3) by A.G. Howard You Wish by Mandy Hubbard Fast Forward by Juliet Madison Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

message 7: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Abby wrote: "Here's what I'm planning on reading:
Room by Emma Donoghue A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1) by Claudia Gray Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare [bookcover:You're the..."

Can you tell what letters will you use the following?
The Infinite Sea
A Thousand Pieces of You

message 8: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I and T

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 579 comments Hello team!!
Just to be sure, we are only allowed to use the titles right??

Anyway, I got like 8 books I'm hoping to read next month. I can't link books from my phone but as soon as I get in a computer I'll change that :D.

O- Obsidian and Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
U- Uninvited by Amanda Marrone
Z- Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer
H -Harry Potter #2
J- The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees
Q- The Queen's Soprano
W- White Cat by Holly Black

I don't mind changing my TBR if there are other letters we need or of someone wants to read a letter I have :D.

message 10: by Mei (last edited Feb 22, 2016 01:52PM) (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Hi Michelle, welcome ☺ I'll add those then!
Yes, only titles.

message 11: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Hey! I don't decide what to read ahead of time. I hope that is alright?

message 12: by Mei (last edited Feb 23, 2016 02:36AM) (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Lakshmi wrote: "Hey! I don't decide what to read ahead of time. I hope that is alright?"

That's okay :D There are 100 tiles and I'm not sure we can finish all of them anyway!

We're all complete now ✔

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Has anyone started yet? I still have about three hours.

message 14: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments I have! I just woke up and I'm having breakfast while reading.

message 15: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I haven't, but will do in a few hours :) It's March 2 here.

message 16: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I have a book for J. Just a head's up since we only need one for that letter.

message 17: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Abby wrote: "I have a book for J. Just a head's up since we only need one for that letter."

Uh oh! I'm already reading Just One Day guess we'll just switch that for a blank then. *shrug*

message 18: by Abby (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:53AM) (new)

Abby | 5454 comments That's okay, Lakshmi! I was just going to read it to get the points so you're perfectly welcome to do J.

message 19: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84148 comments Mod
Adding Eunique to your group ☺

message 20: by Eunique (new)

Eunique Durbin | 3 comments Hello, I'm a part of your group now. Is there a book you want me to start on?

message 21: by Lakshmi (last edited Mar 04, 2016 10:13AM) (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Abby wrote: "That's okay, Lakshmi! I was just going to read it to get the points so you're perfectly welcome to do J."

Thanks! I should've let you know that I'd started for "J" we're in the same team, after all. But then I'm an idiot.
Welcome, Eunique!!

message 22: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Well I should have thought to check our little list too lol. Forgot we had that.

message 23: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Abby wrote: "Well I should have thought to check our little list too lol. Forgot we had that."
All good, then?

message 24: by Abby (last edited Mar 04, 2016 10:28AM) (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I'll get to starting The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13) by Agatha Christie tomorrow for A and will be reading The Hours Count by Jillian Cantor for H sometime within the month.

message 25: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments And all good, Lakshmi. Like I said, I was just going to read it for the points.

message 26: by Mei (last edited Mar 04, 2016 11:36AM) (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Eunique wrote: "Hello, I'm a part of your group now. Is there a book you want me to start on?"

Hi Eunique! Welcome to the group. Feel free to take any letters :)

message 27: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I just started The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6) by Eoin Colfer for T

message 28: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Thanks for tracking our progress, Mei! It helps a lot. :)

How's everyone doing?

message 29: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Abby wrote: "Thanks for tracking our progress, Mei! It helps a lot. :)

How's everyone doing?"

Yes, it does! Thank you Mei!
I'm doing great so far! What about you?

message 30: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I feel like I'm reading pretty quickly this month. And it's nice not having the added stress of fitting books into specific categories.

message 31: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Abby wrote: "I feel like I'm reading pretty quickly this month. And it's nice not having the added stress of fitting books into specific categories."

It really is!

message 32: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Thanks Abbie and Lakshmi :)

I'm having my reader repaired today so I hope I can help the group :) The first book I've read this month was a DNF, I was forcing myself to finish it so it could count for the challenge, but it really is terrible :(

message 33: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Hi! So just an update - we've recently finished tiles 'H' and 'M'.

On the other hand, Abby's Morning Star won't be used for M anymore, as well as the other Harry Potter. I'll read a Harry Potter book (book 6) so how will we move books around?

I'm willing to give up HP #6, but I already have scheduled it for tomorrow :(

message 34: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments There are a couple of other editions of Morning Star in different languages that I could potentially use. I suggest you look at other languages for Harry Potter as well.

message 35: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Thanks for the idea Abby! Sorry didn't thought of that.

There's an edition that starts with 'X'. I wonder if this is alright... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

message 36: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Ooh! X would be awesome! I'd ask Sarah before trying though.

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 579 comments I can give up reading my books that are 'blank' -I have to return HP#2 to the library in two days so it would kinda help me hehe...

Today I'll start to read the books I said I would read. Right now I'm reading White Cat & I'm hoping to start Zombies Don't Cry & Obsidian. (:

message 38: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments That's okay Michelle. You can still take the 'H' tile and we still have blank tiles if Sarah approves of 'X'. Woo, that would be a lot of points though!

Happy reading girls!

message 39: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments I'm reading Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi for U.

message 40: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Mei, I'd like to substitute Crooked House by Agatha Christie for City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare . There's an edition of City of Glass that starts with V I'll use instead.

message 41: by Mei (last edited Mar 14, 2016 11:08AM) (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Abby wrote: "Mei, I'd like to substitute Crooked House by Agatha Christie for City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare. There's an edition of City of Glass that starts with V I'll use instead."

Added Under the Never Sky!

Btw, can you link me the V edition for City of Glass? I couldn't find it when I was about to add it via the search bar. I'm sure the search bar and the editions page came from the same database, but I couldn't find it, even though I looked for it one by one.

message 42: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Oops! I got those switched around. Crooked House is the one with the V edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 43: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Added! It has a Z edition though, in case you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 44: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Mei wrote: "Added! It has a Z edition though, in case you're interested: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Well Michelle has already expressed that she'll be reading a book for Z and I didn't want to steal it away from her.

message 45: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Oops sorry didn't notice that.

message 46: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Hey, I just thought I'd let you know that I'm planning to read P.S. I Still Love You since we only have one P left.

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 579 comments Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update. I'm hoping to finish Zombies Don't Cry tonight & The Queen's Soprano tomorrow.(:

message 48: by Lakshmi (last edited Mar 19, 2016 06:34AM) (new)

Lakshmi Kalarikkal (ultranahshedidnt) | 68 comments Hey guys! I just wanted to say that my finals are starting tomorrow and I don't think I'll be able to read as much as I have in the past weeks. I'll still read of course but only like 3 books a week. I'm so sorry about this!

message 49: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments That's okay Lakshmi. You read a lot in the past weeks anyway! Hope you pass your finals :)

message 50: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Hi guys, sorry I've been MIA for a while. I've been taking care of my graduation and job hunting requirements. But I'm reading The Girl On the Train :) Hope everyone's enjoying their reads.

I'll update our team progress soon. Probably tomorrow :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.