Romeo & Juliet Discussion Board discussion

If the play was set in modern times would the outcome be the same why or why not?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mara (new)

Mara | 1 comments Please answer below

message 2: by Erika (new)

Erika | 1 comments I don' t think that the story would turn out the same because they could easily run away together and live somewhere else. Their parents would probably come after them, but the world is a big place.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Giddings | 8 comments have you watched the Leo version its the same story in modern times,

message 4: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 4 comments No they'd just text eachother
"Hey I'm not posioned bae. It's just a trick my Pastor came up with."

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewhylen) I think that the outcome in the end of Romeo and Juliet suicide because they loved the other to much to live without them would still happen. But I think that some of the other aspect of the play would be more modern with the things that they did and maybe they would talk in modern english.

message 6: by Brendan (new)

Brendan | 1 comments Would the outcome be the same if the it was set in modern times? If it's an ideal world, the relationship would have worked. The deaths of Tybalt and Mercutio probably wouldn't have happened simply because, in today's world, the two would have been arrested during the first fight on the street which did result in deaths. If people died during the fight in the beginning, none of the characters that were there would be free. They'd all be in jail. Given that, it would make the stress that was laid on the couple, better, because they would have had to worried about their parents consent instead of Paris' consent. If you were fored to marry in today's world, people would be in trouble because in today's world, you have rights. Lots of them when back then, you did not. They could ahve run away and nothing would ahve been wrong with that, when back then, it would have practically been a crime. So the outcome would yes be very different based on the laws and the ways of our society.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam Sella | 5 comments No. They would've sent Juliet to a hospital and been like "Naw shes fine. She's just a little under the weather".

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire Peterson | 4 comments probably, people are still quick to make stupid choices

message 10: by Sean (new)

Sean Carrns | 1 comments Yes because technology is so advanced that the plan would have no chance at working

message 11: by Paris (new)

Paris Heard | 2 comments I don't think the outcome would have been the same. In modern day setting information is relayed way quicker and any confusion could easily be corrected before any conflicts arose.

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin Sterner | 2 comments It'd end up being the same, if it ended different it wouldn't be called "Romeo and Juliet."

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Muntean | 1 comments If the play was set in modern times the outcome would have been different. Romeo and Juliet would have waited until they were 18 to get married. Their parents would not have been able to do anything because it wasn't their choice. It doesn't matter if their parents disapproved because in modern times nobody cares who you marry, as long as you are happy with the person. That is all that matters.

message 14: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Landry | 3 comments No. Honestly, if they would have had internet, none of this would have happened. First, they would have known what eachother looked like, so they would have stayed away from eachother at the party, and next, they would have had email, or could just text eachother. There would have been no miscommunication.

message 15: by Gavin (last edited Feb 22, 2016 10:51AM) (new)

Gavin Smith | 3 comments They are similar

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Ratowski | 1 comments I think that parts of the story would be very different in how it worked because of modern technology, government, and culture. For example, the fight scene in the beginning, it would most likely occur that they would be arrested and a possible death sentence could occur if anyone was killed. Another example would be Romeo leaving for Mantua. For how big the city would be in modern times, he could stay in the city and he would be contacted by text or call on a phone. These changes would affect the story and how it ends because of the better technology and different government and culture.

message 17: by Ben (new)

Ben Walters | 4 comments No. Communication is a lot better and there wouldn't have been a lack of it that lead to both of their deaths. If it were in current times, Friar Lawrence could juts shoot Romeo a text to tell him. Plus, people wouldn't be dueling in the modern world anyway.