Romeo & Juliet Discussion Board discussion

Why do you think Shakespeare wrote that Romeo and Juliet killed themselves?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haley (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:58AM) (new)

Haley | 1 comments Answer below
*exolain why you think Shakespeare couldn't just let them live happily ever after

message 2: by Eli (new)

Eli Denslow | 3 comments Because in life there are many things that don't turn out great. For example it is like how the Panthers lost the super bowl. Life doesn't always work out.

message 3: by Corbyn (new)

Corbyn | 3 comments They did live happily ever after. They are dead together.

message 4: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Keilman | 1 comments I think Shakespeare killed them off in the play because first off it was meant to be a tragedy. Second off He needed a way to show that they truly loved each other and it wasn't just lust.

message 5: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 4 comments Everyone made a choice that somehow led to their death. Everyone made mistakes and they paid the price

message 6: by Analia (new)

Analia Turner | 4 comments To make it more of a tragedy.

message 7: by Noah (new)

Noah Wolters | 4 comments This explains the tragedy that happened, and it shows that something good can come from something bad. Since Romeo and Juliet died, they families became friendly to each other.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin Sterner | 2 comments It was to show that life doesn't always give people a good ending.

message 9: by Tyler (new)

Tyler V | 3 comments because it makes it dramatic and romantic

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire Peterson | 4 comments I don't agree that this isn't a happily ever after because although there were casualties like Romeo and Juliet, the family feud stopped. One thing that I ask; if you could die for guaranteed happiness and peace in your family for generations, would you? Another thing to remember, Romeo and Juliet was taken from the plot of Pyramus and Thisbe in Greek Mythology. This is basically the same story, written into the time of Shakespeare.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan V | 5 comments I felt that it was to acknowledge the fact that our actions have an effect on our future. He gave us something to remember that they had loved and maybe that was all that mattered.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick Giddings | 8 comments because it was a tradgedy and if it was a comedy they would have laughed and someone would have thrown a pie in the others face

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam Negen | 1 comments It was because they were so depressed about the fact they couldn't be together so they killed themselves

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam Sella | 5 comments Tradegy gets more attention then happy endings. Like the walking dead. People will watch someone die in a dramatic way rather than a marridge.

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 3 comments To make the story more interesting and a more tragic ending.

message 16: by Ben (new)

Ben Hylen | 3 comments I think Shakespeare wrote that Romeo and Juliet killed themselves because he wanted to end his magnificent play with a shocking and drastic ending that would stay in your thoughts for a while.

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 3 comments Well they died in the end because of their "love" (it's not real) and because Romeo and Juliet was based off of a previous play called Pyramus and Thisbe. I guess you could say they were "dying" to see each other

message 18: by Amaya (new)

Amaya F | 2 comments I think that the reason Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet's deaths at the end of the play is because it was a very efficient way of telling the audience that Romeo and Juliet were SO deeply in love with one another that they would do ANYTHING to be with one another.

message 19: by Keegan (new)

Keegan O'Donnell | 2 comments Eli wrote: "Because in life there are many things that don't turn out great. For example it is like how the Panthers lost the super bowl. Life doesn't always work out."
Or how like Clemson went all the way to the Championship, and lost.