Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
Archives > Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mariana (mc_rogue) | 28 comments "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues.

Plan: week 37, a book that you've seen the movie but haven't read.

Jessie Wolf | 10 comments I studied an extract of this for an exam I took so decided to read it for week 10. I really enjoyed it, even though it's not something I'd usually read

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I really love this book. It is one of a few classics that I've read more than once. I loved the characters and especially Austen's writing style. And what an amazing opening line!

Aglaea | 374 comments I love this. Love.

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments I'm reading this right now and I'm loving it! Who said Classics are boring? I'm chuckling throughout. Austen is so witty and the characters really do come alive.

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I have now read this 3 times and I love it!! I also listened to the In Want of a Wife podcast while reading it this past time and I enjoyed it a lot. There's so much to find in it.

message 7: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Love, love, love Jane Austen!

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments I have started reading this for my Discard Challenge. a book that was popular in the 2016 challenge.
Early this year I read Jane Eyre and really enjoyed her writing style. The subjects she writes about ate still important today. Her writing its easy to understand making her classics accessible.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments Wow, Mr. Bentley's sisters are catty.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments Sorry, it is Mr. Bingley's sisters. I feel sorry for Elizabeth. She seems destined to be embarrassed by her family.
Jane Austin has an ability to capture that feeling of embarrassment that our parents engender that we all have experience at some point.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments I just finished Pride and Prejudice. It is an amazing story. It is a novel that deserves a re-read at some point in the future.
Persuasion is on my IRL book club list for this upcoming year. I am really looking forward to it.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) I listened to the new audible version "performed" by Rosamund Pike for my randomly chosen book (Week 37). It was excellent!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

If you haven't had a chance yet, I highly recommend it. If you have an Amazon prime membership and Audible, you can listen to it on one of their prime audible channels for free.

message 13: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Klein (wheelguyeric102963) | 9 comments is it like war and peace?

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm sorry nobody answered Eric, but Pride and Prejudice is NOTHING like War and Peace! It was witty, fun and quite thrilling actually. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next!

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 501 comments I don't usually read books this this, but I really enjoyed this book. You get to know the characters and I felt that I could relate to the main character. It was also interesting to read about what the times where like during the period this book was written.

Charlston Goch (list_addict) | 23 comments Read this for the 2019 challenge’s Week 23 prompt - ‘Something Old’. It’s ‘old’ for its publishing date but really very new for the love so many still have for it and its sassy heroine. It’s taken me so long to read it because it’s one of those books I never wanted to read because reading would mean finishing and finishing would mean over. I often don’t want to start books because I don’t want them to end. It’s not rational. I don’t claim rationality as a trait.