The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Real-World (as opposed to online) Book Groups - any genre - are you in one? If yes, what are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2016 04:46AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8600 comments Mod
I am -- this month it's Double Indemnity. Anyone else?

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer I'm in a book club. We're reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

message 3: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments No, but sounds interesting. Which book groups are those? I love interesting books about the real world.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:34AM) (new)

Gisela wrote: "No, but sounds interesting. Which book groups are those? I love interesting books about the real world."

I should have been clearer, I suppose. I meant real-world, as opposed to online reading groups. I started a small book group here that meets once a month to discuss different books.

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Denise wrote: "I'm in a book club. We're reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie."

Haven't read that yet. I have it, but it's still unread.

message 6: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Nancy wrote: "Gisela wrote: "No, but sounds interesting. Which book groups are those? I love interesting books about the real world."

I should have been clearer, I suppose. I meant real-world, as opposed to onl..."

In which case, my group are currently reading The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices, which so far is a very interesting book. Recommend it, but part of it is very upsetting. Educational though.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

That looks amazing.

message 8: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Nancy wrote: "That looks amazing."
Yes and it is actually a really entertaining read.

message 9: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Re China: some years back my group read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and it STILL comes up in conversation once in a while.

message 10: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
For years I belonged to 2 in person book groups, one mystery reading, and one historical fiction. They were held at our local Barnes and Noble and sadly folded when the store closed. It was interesting because they were very public book groups (they were advertised in the store and online) and we would sometimes get random people drop in because of the book we were reading. I do miss them.

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Radley | 558 comments I am in my local public library book club in feltham uk and it's great just a real nice collection of people that live different types of books lol at the moment we are reading the Rosie project which I have to say I have not enjoyed to the point where I cannot read further.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna wrote: "For years I belonged to 2 in person book groups, one mystery reading, and one historical fiction. They were held at our local Barnes and Noble and sadly folded when the store closed. It was interes..."

That happened to me, Donna. I was in both a literature group and a crime fiction group at a local Borders (where I took full advantage of the cafe and lattes), and then Borders closed the store.

message 13: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2016 08:46AM) (new)

Zoe wrote: "I am in my local public library book club in feltham uk and it's great just a real nice collection of people that live different types of books lol at the moment we are reading the Rosie project wh..."

I love a "real nice collection of people" in a reading group. It's especially nice since everyone brings such different experiences.

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments I am in 3 book clubs. For March we are reading: The Forgetting Time, Loving Day, and Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates. Two clubs are all women and one is both women and men.

message 15: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
One of the real nice thing about public book groups - bookstores/libraries - is you do tend to talk about the books. While I'm not opposed to book groups based on friends and neighbors, I know several people who said that it got to the point that they didn't talk about the books but about personal happenings, etc. and so they stopped going to the meetings or stopped reading the books.

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna wrote: "One of the real nice thing about public book groups - bookstores/libraries - is you do tend to talk about the books. While I'm not opposed to book groups based on friends and neighbors, I know seve..."

That also happened when I started my group here -- and there were often two conversations going on at once. I just told everyone that socializing is fine, but before or after. I think a good moderator can turn things back to the book.

message 17: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Before I retired I ran a mixed bag discussion group at my library. Among the more memorable and well-liked books we read were Pope Joan, Lord Baltimore, The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating, and The Ginger Tree.

Now I attend a mystery book discussion group at another library and have found it really expands my reading. I tend to prefer reading historical mysteries so this group forces me to dip my toes into more contemporary fare. I was particularly pleased to have read The Cuckoo's Calling and Standing in Another Man's Grave which I might never have attempted on my own. Next month we read The Darkest Room , a Swedish mystery. We'll see if I can warm up to Scandinavian gloom.

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Feb 24, 2016 03:08AM) (new)

I liked The Ginger Tree. The Darkest Room is pretty good as well.

message 19: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Nancy wrote: "Donna wrote: "One of the real nice thing about public book groups - bookstores/libraries - is you do tend to talk about the books. While I'm not opposed to book groups based on friends and neighbor..."
I can relate to this. Because most of the people in my book group are friends and/or colleagues either working in schools or the NHS and seem to have children getting married or toddling off to university, book discussions can sometimes be difficult to keep going. Because I am the organizer, I tend to fall to me to try and get people back onto books and it can sometimes feel a bit awkward. Every few months I'll "have a serious word" with the group and then we tend to be on track again for a while. Some of us who really would love to discuss books more thoroughly and branch out on the type of books we are reading and we have considered having an additional splinter book group.

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Nancy wrote: "Re China: some years back my group read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and it STILL comes up in conversation once in a while."

Sounds good, it's on the list.

message 21: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Gisela wrote: "Nancy wrote: "Re China: some years back my group read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and it STILL comes up in conversation once in a while."

Sounds good, it's on the list."

I love that book, Gisela. Absolutely.

message 22: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Jackie wrote: "I am in 3 book clubs. For March we are reading: The Forgetting Time, Loving Day, and Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates. Two clubs are all women and one is both women and men."

I would love for men to join my group.

message 23: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Nancy wrote: "Jackie wrote: "I am in 3 book clubs. For March we are reading: The Forgetting Time, Loving Day, and Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates. Two clubs are all women and one is both women and men."..."
Yeah, that's a good point. We don't have any either as it started with friends, but like with the Goodreads group, there is a difference what men and women tend to read, so I am sure it would add to the variety and different points of views. Where to get them from though. All the husbands run a mile!

message 24: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

We meet again tomorrow, with A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, by Bill Bryson. This one lends itself well to book group discussion -- lots of good stuff in here.

message 25: by Garden (new)

Garden Girl | 0 comments Hi, I'm a member of American Asso of University Women: AAUW and we have two book groups. One, we read whatever and one person reports on the book. Not much discussion. The other has a national book list with a different topic each month - this is called Adelante. This month we read "The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd. I led the discusssion and we had a fabulous exchange of thoughts and ideas. The Adelante book list has many books that I never would have read otherwise. It's very enriching.

message 26: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 125 comments I wish there was a book group here. I love interacting with people and disvussing books. Sometimes someone sees a book differently than you. It gives you a fresh look at it. A few years ago a couple of my friends and I decided to read Miss Peregrine's House of Peculiar Children together. It was fun.

message 27: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Britney wrote: "I wish there was a book group here. I love interacting with people and disvussing books. Sometimes someone sees a book differently than you. It gives you a fresh look at it. A few years ago a coupl..."

"Sometimes someone sees a book differently than you..."

That's one of things I enjoy about my group -- the different perspectives brought to the discussion.

message 28: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

This month - Everything I Never Told You. It was okay, not my normal reading fare. Has anyone else read it?