It's Not Just a Book Club discussion

The Darkest Part of the Forest
This topic is about The Darkest Part of the Forest
25 views
BOTM Discussion > *Spoiler Discussion: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keira (new) - added it

Keira (keira_rogan) | 377 comments Mod
THIS IS A SPOILER ZONE

As I am not 'enforcing' a certain number of chapters to read a week (although I have given guidelines), I will ask that in the beginning of any comments you make here you put the chapter that you have read until so that people can avoid being spoilt. If you have a non-spoiler comment to make, you can post it in the regular discussion.


message 2: by Keira (new) - added it

Keira (keira_rogan) | 377 comments Mod
I'm going to be posting some of my fave chapters. Will give chapter numbers for each so you can avoid spoilers ;)


message 3: by Keira (new) - added it

Keira (keira_rogan) | 377 comments Mod
Chapter 5:
'Children can have a cruel, absolute sense of justice. Children can kill monsters and feel quite proud of themselves.'

'Faerie morality isn't like human morality. They punish the unmannerly and foolhardy, the braggarts and cheats, not the brave, not tricksters and heroes. Those, they claim for their own.'

Chapter 6:
'...wondering how she could have known him so long and not guessed. She'd thought he was happy in his human life. She'd thought he had only a human life.'

'Stories like that were will-o'-the-wisps, glowing in the deepest, darkest parts of forests, leading travellers farther and farther from safety, out toward an ever-moving mark.'

'"The city's a lot like the deep, dark fairy-tale woods of Fairfold, right?"..."In the movies, the city's where all the stories happen. It's the place people go to be transformed. Where people go to start over. I figure I can be anyone there. Maybe even someone normal."'

'"His waking was no accident. And whatever happens next will be no accident either."'

Chapter 7:
'It was terrifying.... like playing to a room full of the dead.'

'"You just haven't found the thing that you're good at yet,"... Hazel knew what she was good at; she just didn't know how to explain it. That's not true, she wanted to say. I'm good at killing monsters. But her mother didn't need to know that and it would be foolish to say it. Mum might be horrified or scared. Mum might start paying attention to where she went and what she did. Besides, it was a delicious secret. She liked thinking of it almost as much as she'd liked the weight of her blade in her hand.'

'Her quest was impossible, and she didn't know how much time she had left.'

'She wanted to prove it meant nothing. But no matter how many other boys she kissed, she couldn't bring Ben's music back.'

Chapter 9:
'"If you're going to kill me, then do it,"..."Because if you want to take her, that's what you're going to have to do."'

'Those stories had kept her heart safe. But now, when she thought about Severin, when she remembered his moss-green eyes and the horrible, shivery thrill of his words, she didn't feel safe at all. She hated him for waking up and being real and stealing her dreams of him away. He wasn't their prince anymore.'

Chapter 10:
'Once normal had been a heavy, smothering blanket she feared being trapped beneath. But now normal felt fragile, as though she could unravel it all just by teasing out a single string.'

Chapter 22:
'...this wasn't about her. Maybe the music could live for him again. Maybe he could love it the way he'd never let himself before, because it was too terrifying to love something he couldn't control, because it was too awful to hurt people and love what hurt them.'

Epilogue:
'And elsewhere in the woods, there is another party, one taking place inside a hollow hill, full of night-blooming flowers. There, a pale boy plays a fiddle with newly mended fingers while his sister dances with his best friend. There, a monster whirls about, branches waving in time with the music. There, a prince of the Folk takes up the mantle of king, embracing a changeling like a brother, and, with a human boy at his side, names a girl his champion.'


Ashley Jolly Vater | 65 comments I loved this story! It was so neat and whimsical, I was really surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. Anyone else finished??


message 5: by Keira (new) - added it

Keira (keira_rogan) | 377 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "I loved this story! It was so neat and whimsical, I was really surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. Anyone else finished??"

Me :) It was absolutely incredible.


Ashley Jolly Vater | 65 comments I didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I did. I loved the twist with night time Hazel! Also, Sorrow, the tree was a really neat character. I never guessed that the bone ring was how he controlled her. I feel like I should have with here repeatedly saying bones and dead and gone.


message 7: by Keira (new) - added it

Keira (keira_rogan) | 377 comments Mod
Yes exactly. It was very unpredictable. Loved the romances too!


Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) (jackey_oh) Ashley wrote: "I didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I did. I loved the twist with night time Hazel! Also, Sorrow, the tree was a really neat character. I never guessed that the bone ring was how he co..."

Keira wrote: "Yes exactly. It was very unpredictable. Loved the romances too!"

Ack! I didn't get to reading this in April (that was April’s theme apparently). I have already read it before so it wasn't too much of a bummer. lol

This is by far my FAVORITE Holly black novel. It really is very whimsical. I especially loved that the fair folk were not nice and happy faeries, as you often see in some fantasy novels. They were exactly as they are supposed to be cruel!

I loved sorrow, and I was really heartbroken for her, the King is pretty cruel! I also loved the romance of this story. It really kept you guessing, and I felt like my wishes of who was going to get together flopped all over the place. However, I am very happy with where it settled. Severance and Ben are just wonderful!!! I seriously want to see a sequel!


Ashley Jolly Vater | 65 comments I was completely thrown by the evil fairies because I thought fairies were supposed to be nice lol I think this is the first book I've read with fairies in it. I'm happy though that they were evil! It was definitely an interesting twist to the story.

I kind of liked it as a stand alone, it had a satisfying ending. What would you imagine with a sequel? A larger scale war than just the city? Or just a continuation of their lives? I could see a novella working.


message 10: by Keira (new) - added it

Keira (keira_rogan) | 377 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "I was completely thrown by the evil fairies because I thought fairies were supposed to be nice lol I think this is the first book I've read with fairies in it. I'm happy though that they were evil!..."

Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I did. I loved the twist with night time Hazel! Also, Sorrow, the tree was a really neat character. I never guessed that the bone rin..."

I agree with both of you! By the way, Jackie, I think you meant Severin :D


back to top