Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab (Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy BOM); Starts March 22, 2016

Comments (showing 1-50 of 140) (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments

This topic is to discuss A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:
Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell’s possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland’s dying body through the rift, and into Black London.

In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games—an extravagant international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries—a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again—meaning that another London must fall.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Apr 01, 2016 03:33PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

22 March I:Thief at Sea 1-51 Jolene
23 March II: Prince at Large 52-94 Melissa
24 March III:Changing Tides 95-153 megan.lynn♡
25 March IV:London Calling 154-200 Imke
26 March V:Royal Welcome 201-251 Alison
27 March VI: Imposters- 252-337 Karrie
VII:Intersections
BREAK DAY
29 March VIII:The Essen Tasch 338-391 Melissa
30 March IX: Collision Course 392-441 Nikk
31 March X: Catastrophe 442-511 (end) megan.lynn♡

Breakdown is based on the Kindle edition of the book

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Mar 19, 2016 07:05PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments Discussion question volunteers:

randomised:
(view spoiler)

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments reserved

message 6: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 2768 comments I'm so excited for this book!!!

I'm in and volunteer for DQs

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison (A1ison74) | 2337 comments I'm in too and will volunteer for DQs. Just not sure I can wait till end of March to read it :)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2071 comments I have to read the first book before I can get to this one. Hopefully I will be in!

message 9: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 2768 comments Alison wrote: "I'm in too and will volunteer for DQs. Just not sure I can wait till end of March to read it :)"

I know, I'm going to try and ignore it on my Nook for the next month. But it's going to be painful I think

message 10: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1447 comments I'm in and volunteer to write questions.

message 11: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4365 comments I will do DQs.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments I just got this book in the mail today! It is going to be SO hard to put off reading this book until later in the month, but I've had so many preorders in the past few months that I haven't read (Morning Star, City of Blades, All the Birds in the Sky, A Criminal Magic), and that I am REALLY excited about that I think I can keep myself busy until then :)

I am able to do DQ's if you need someone else.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen Bassett (HBee741) | 69 comments I am looking forward to reading this book.

message 14: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments I'm definitely in for this one! Very excited :)

message 15: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments I'm in --- I actually just got back from a seeing Victoria at a bookstore in San Francisco. She is super nice and very funny!

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 12040 comments JoLene wrote: "I'm in --- I actually just got back from a seeing Victoria at a bookstore in San Francisco. She is super nice and very funny!"

Awesome!

message 17: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (DaphneSM) | 937 comments I'd like to volunteer for discussion questions. :)

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 975 comments I am in and would also love to volunteer to write discussion questions. I pre-ordered this so having sitting on my shelf unread is killing me! Can't wait to start!

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2071 comments I can do DQ's for this one. I just caved and bought both books :)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 386 comments I will have to see if I can get my hands on this from one of the Libraries.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth  | 1 comments I have this one on reserve as well. I really liked the first book. Can't wait to read it!

message 22: by Eni (new)

Eni | 1733 comments oh nice. I recently read this. I'm in and i volunteer to do questions! =D

message 23: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments I'll volunteer for DQs as well.

message 24: by Bliz (new)

Bliz Heath | 1 comments Ive already read it great book, schwab should do a third book for this series.

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 386 comments Bliz wrote: "Ive already read it great book, schwab should do a third book for this series."

A third book is planned, just not title or release date yet.

message 26: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments The 3rd book should be out next year. I saw her at a bookstore 2 weeks ago

message 27: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1790 comments I will volunteer for questions for this one if it is not too late. I liked the first one, so I am glad we are going on with the series.

message 28: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekahpaige) | 263 comments I just got this one off hold! Yay!

message 29: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 198 comments I hate to do this, but could you remove my name for volunteer DQs? The end of this month is looking really hectic for me. I'll try to participate when I can but it might not be as regular as I'd like. Sorry!!!

message 30: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments No probs Christina!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

it seems interesting

message 32: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments With the way the chapters are set up, it looks like this will be 9 days of reading with about 50 pages per day.

Any preferences for having DQs every day ; or every second day?

Example schedule of every day under spoiler, if we want every second day I'll combine 2 days into 1
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2071 comments Either one is fine with me. I just finished the first book and I'm really excited about starting this one!!

message 34: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25955 comments Thanks melissa :)

Ok, we've gone for 9 days. Breakdown is here
Please yell out if one of the days doesn't work for you. Thanks!

message 35: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Awesome --- I started it today :-)

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2071 comments Thank you for not putting me first!!! LOL I haven't gotten a chance to start yet but the second day is fine with me! So excited to read this. :)

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 12040 comments Melissa wrote: "Thank you for not putting me first!!! LOL I haven't gotten a chance to start yet but the second day is fine with me! So excited to read this. :)"

haha
I know JoLene likes to go at the start so I put her there instead ;)

message 38: by JoLene (last edited Mar 22, 2016 09:18AM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Thanks Karen -- I'm a bit of a slow reader so I do like going first. Here you go!

March 22 – Section 1: Thief at Sea

1) Gathering of Shadows is the 2nd book in a planned trilogy. Some say that 2nd books are just filler to get to the third, others say they are better than the first because not so much time is spent on world-building. Do you have any feelings one way or the other?

2) The first chapter opens with Lila stranded on a small leaky boat. However, by the end of the first chapter you realize that this was all a ploy and she single-handedly takes over a ship. Did you see that coming? I have to admit, I thought it was one of the best opening chapters I’ve read in a long time.

3) While Lila is taking down the ship, she is humming a song about sarows, a phantom said to haunt wayward ships. We found out that some of the men on the Night Spire actually call her that. Why do you think that the men call her that?

4) Alucard Emery is the captain of the Night Spire, the ship that Lila has been travelling on. What are your first impressions of the captain? Do you think that this might be a possible new love interest for Lila?

5) We learn how Lila ends up on the Night Spire. She kills one of the crew members when he comes after her for stealing his purse. Lila doesn’t speak much Arnesian but manages to convince the Alucard that she will replace his “best thief”. Did this scene change your impression of Lila?

6) Why do you think that the voice in her head keeps telling Lila to leave or run?

7) Her room on the ship is described as small, “but it is the only place on the ship where she could be truly alone, and the weight of her persona slid from her shoulders like a coat as she closed the door”. What do you think this means?

8) Lila still has the box that Kell gave her and has been practicing magic. Any thoughts on how her developing magic will play into this story. Do you think she wants to impress Kell with what she’s learned?

9) Now that we’re caught up on Lila, who the character that you most want to hear about next?

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2071 comments March 22 – Section 1: Thief at Sea

1) Gathering of Shadows is the 2nd book in a planned trilogy. Some say that 2nd books are just filler to get to the third, others say they are better than the first because not so much time is spent on world-building. Do you have any feelings one way or the other?

It depends on the book. Some second books do read like filler, just an arch from the beginning of the story to the end. Others are more action packed and ask more questions than they answer!

2) The first chapter opens with Lila stranded on a small leaky boat. However, by the end of the first chapter you realize that this was all a ploy and she single-handedly takes over a ship. Did you see that coming? I have to admit, I thought it was one of the best opening chapters I’ve read in a long time.
I did not see that coming at all! I was waiting for Kell to find and save her :):) That was a great opening and it pulled me right in.

3) While Lila is taking down the ship, she is humming a song about sarows, a phantom said to haunt wayward ships. We found out that some of the men on the Night Spire actually call her that. Why do you think that the men call her that?
I think she is the Sarow.

4) Alucard Emery is the captain of the Night Spire, the ship that Lila has been travelling on. What are your first impressions of the captain? Do you think that this might be a possible new love interest for Lila?
I don't think it is a new love interest. I think it is a replacement for Barrons. A fatherly figure who will take her under his wing and teach her. I really like him. I think he is smart and perceptive. I'm really interested to find out more about him and where he came from.

5) We learn how Lila ends up on the Night Spire. She kills one of the crew members when he comes after her for stealing his purse. Lila doesn’t speak much Arnesian but manages to convince the Alucard that she will replace his “best thief”. Did this scene change your impression of Lila?
Not really - I have always thought of her as the kind of girl that will do what she needs to do and always find a way to survive.

6) Why do you think that the voice in her head keeps telling Lila to leave or run?
I think she is starting to be happy and find her place in the world and she never had that before so on a deeper level she may be scared it won't last. This is why she is telling herself to run before she can get hurt. I hope she stays I want her to be happy!

7) Her room on the ship is described as small, “but it is the only place on the ship where she could be truly alone, and the weight of her persona slid from her shoulders like a coat as she closed the door”. What do you think this means?
I think she pretends to be something she is not in front of the crew. I think she tries to fit in and be tough around the guys but she is not exactly who she portrays herself to be. She has magic in her, she is from Grey London, she is a thief and a murderer. She doesn't want people to know her secrets so she hides them away.

8) Lila still has the box that Kell gave her and has been practicing magic. Any thoughts on how her developing magic will play into this story. Do you think she wants to impress Kell with what she’s learned?
I think she definitely wants to impress Kell. I think we will see her being the other half to Kell. Together they will be able to bring down whatever evil is lurking in the next chapters ;)
I think she is an Antari - we don't know where she came from.

9) Now that we’re caught up on Lila, who the character that you most want to hear about next?
Kell!!! or Rhy maybe ;)

message 40: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 2768 comments March 22<\b>

1) They can be but with that opening, I'm hoping it won't be the case here.

2) it was a bit of a surprise and I thought a clever opening to the book.

3) because she is sneaky, quiet, and hard to figure out. I think to most of the crew at least she's a mystery.

4) he's interesting and I want to learn more about him. He is described as young so I guess he could be a potential love interest, but I'm hoping for more of a brotherly relationship.

5) Nope, seemed like the Lila we know and love.

6) because she hasn't been safe or had a permanent home for such a long time part of her simply can't trust it.

7) it's the only place she can drop her guard.

8) yes, I do think she wants to impress Kell, but I also think she wants to learn about her own magic and herself

9) Kell

message 41: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 122 comments I shall join in, but I'll probably be much ahead, as I doubt I'll be able to refrain myself from reading. ^^

March 22 – Section 1: Thief at Sea

I trust the author on this one. It's not my first Schwab book, I also follow her antics on Twitter, and she doesn't strike me as the kind of person who dumps filler material only in her second volumes. Fingers crossed. :)

I loved this chapter. When I was done reading it, I went back to see where exactly there may have been hints, and I must say, it's very cleverly done.

Well, she is able to take down a ship all by herself, at night, like some phantom creature...

I quite like him, but I admit I'm hoping he'll be more of a nakama, a brotherly companion, than a love interest. Also because I'd hate seeing Lila turn into ye olde love-stricken maiden seen in so many YA novels (usually such characters turn dumb, and all their brain cells seem to get sacrificed to Twue Wuv).

No, that was Lila-like enough. She's always been introduced as someone who had to commit dark deeds to survive in a ruthless world, and that one felt... logical, somehow?

Maybe because she's getting anxious, because things are going "too well", and thus are not destined to last? If she leaves on her own terms, she won't have to face the moment when everything will be snatched from her, like a lot of things must've been when she was younger.

She has a lot of secrets to carry, and whether she keeps hiding she's a woman or the other sailors know, it means she has to look the part, to act tough, and has to wear a mask at all times. It's tough, but even in a world like Red London, it seems like being a girl will still mark you often enough as "weak", so one has to do extra non-girly things to look strong?

I believe she wants to learn magic for herself, to be able to stand for herself in a world where magic is a high-level currency (all the more because of the language she speaks). Also I still have my hypothesis about her missing eye and what her latent talent for magic may actually be. We'll see. :p

Kell, I guess?

message 42: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1447 comments March 22 – Section 1: Thief at Sea

No, I think it really depends on the author. For this book I hope to get more background on the main characters Lila and Kell and this first chapter certainly delivered on Lila. Also I would love to read more about the other Londons.

No I didn't, I loved that first scene. I am happy that the first chapter was not a recap of the first book.

Because she is singing that song all the time?

I don't think he is a love interest, I'm certain that will be Kell. I think he will be her new mentor/gardian. I like the captain, he sees Lila for what she is and he will make use of her talents.

Nope, it reinforced the idea that she can take care of herself and doe not have any trouble killing people.

I think she has troube staying in the same place for a long time.

Not sure, I think she can let go of posing as a guy.

I don't think she wants to impress him. She is taking the advice she got very seriously that magical talent needs to be nurtured, therefore she needs to practice. I think she is doing a great job.

Kell I hope

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 975 comments 1) Gathering of Shadows is the 2nd book in a planned trilogy. Some say that 2nd books are just filler to get to the third, others say they are better than the first because not so much time is spent on world-building. Do you have any feelings one way or the other?

I think it all depends on the writer. I have read some second books where all it seemed the writer was focused on was pushing the narrative to a convenient point for book 3 to begin. However others can contain a story in themselves and some goal to obtain or take the book off in a different direction after the events of the first book and if the story is sound, it can be like joining new friends in a new adventure.

I didn't see it coming through i probably should have given what i knew of Delilah previously. However given Bard's propensity for finding dangerous circumstances, it was just as easy to believe she had landed herself in hot water

Possibly because of the way she came aboard the ship and I thought maybe because she was a woman but after reading the rest of the section, I am note sure if the rest of the crew yet realise she is a woman. Possibly also because she spent a lot of time at the beginning hovering and listening and not saying much as she focused on learning the language

I don't think it will be a new love interest but I do think he has as many secrets as Lila and being the captain of a privateer ship, he is obviously a man who can recognise an opportunity and I think he sees the mystery of Lila and her origins as a mystery that could be particularly profitable if he just bides his time and plays his cards right

A little. This whole section made her seem much more ruthless and cut throat then I remember her being.

most likely because in her short life, she has always left before things could go wrong however i do think a snippet of it is her in built instinct to recognise that something is about to go very wrong

I think the person she plays on the ship is different to who she thinks she is. Firstly as far as i can tell, the majority of the crew still think she is a man but its also possibly she is putting on a front and showing the crew what she thinks they expect to see

I think she has suspicions on why she displays the magical talents she does and being Lila, knows a possibly advantage when she sees one. this is a world where magic is common place. Without it she is at a disadvantage, given she has been told she could be quite powerful, it makes sense that she would like to work on this so that one day she might possibly use this advantage to her benefit

I would like to read about kell and how the evenst of the last book and the consequences of them has affected life in the palace

message 44: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2547 comments March 22 – Section 1: Thief at Sea

I often like the second book better because I already know and love the characters. However, if the second book introduces a ton of new characters and I don't get to see the old ones....well then I suppose it depends on the new characters

I agree - it was a great opener. She went from helpless victim to powerful trickster. I ALMOST felt sorry for the pirates, but they were clearly pretty evil.

I'm guessing because she can move so quietly?

He might be - I like him so far.

She is maybe more cold blooded than I remembered, because the whole thing was pretty well planned and executed.

I'm really not sure what the voice in the head is - but it seems to think she is in danger. She has NEVER wanted to stay in the same place.

I think she is never herself when she is around others.

I think she definitely wants to impress Kell, and I think she is hungry to learn magic. And from the last book, I think she'll be good at it.

Kell and his brother - I want to see how that is working out.

message 45: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments March 22 – Section 1: Thief at Sea

I often like the 2nd book because you already know the world and characters. I actually saw the author at a local bookstore a couple of weeks ago and she mentioned specifically trying not to just phone it in to get to the 3rd book -- that's what made me think to ask the question.

Obviously I didn't see it coming!

I like what someone said about how she was always skulking around the ship because she didn't really understand the language and was trying to learn it.

I am very intrigues by Alucard. I actually didn't think that Kell and Lilah had the best chemistry so I wouldn't mind if he was a love interest, but I have to agree with the majority, I think he is more of a mentor.

I think it shows that she has more balls than I thought she did.

I also think she's used to running all the time. Also, after what happened to Barron, perhaps she feels that she is bad luck. I think she has a lot of respect for the Captain so she wouldn't want to bring on any bad luck to the ship.

I loved this phrasing --- also because it brings us back to Kell's coat of many colors ;-). I agree that the men of the ship still think that she's a boy.

Definitely --- she obviously still thinks of him. Also, since magic is so prevalent, she feels like she needs it as a weapon for the future.

Kell wasn't my favorite character so I will buck popular opinion --- I sort of want to hear what's happened to Holland, though I suspect it might be a while before we hear anything.

message 46: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 12040 comments March 22 – Section 1: Thief at Sea

I do call it "second book syndrome"! ;)
So often they are disappointing, but there are a few good examples out there

Very impressive start to the book! I was a little confused as I had to remember who she was, and what London we were in (and I still don't exactly remember how her and Kell parted in book 1), but her character quickly became familiar again. Such a hard arse

3) While Lila is taking down the ship, she is humming a song about sarows, a phantom said to haunt wayward ships. We found out that some of the men on the Night Spire actually call her that. Why do you think that the men call her that
Oh well picked up. I wonder... maybe because she just turned up out of the blue and can't speak their language?

I like him, and... of course!

No, I remember her being pretty ruthless. I still like her character - she makes no apologies for being a thief and a murderer when required

I think it is because she has never belonged - always been on her own. This joining of a crew is a bit too much belonging perhaps!

I think this just reflects how she needs to hide herself

I do remember assuming she was an Antari (is her eye fake or something? I'm sure we learnt something like that) so I guess this will be confirmed by the end of the book and the magic will play a part

I am keen to know what Kell is up to :)

message 47: by Melissa (last edited Mar 23, 2016 08:44AM) (new)

Melissa | 2071 comments March 23 – Section 2: Prince at Large

10. Kell and Rhy are back! :) I just love the dynamic between those two. They are typical brothers who love each other but still know just how to get under each other’s skin. In the last book Kell saved Rhy’s life by binding them together. This seems to have affected their relationship and not in a good way. Do you think this will get worse before it gets better?

11. Rhy seems to be purposely looking for danger. Do you think this is his way of getting back at Kell for saving him and binding them together? Or is it just him flaunting the fact that he cannot die as easy as before?

12. Kell and Rhy seem to have a history with Alucard Emery and not a very good one. Any ideas as to what this could be about? Do you think Emery has something to do with the kidnapping of the prince mentioned in the first book? Or something completely different?

13. Kell’s dream about Lila – that they were together and she was pulling him towards freedom – how would you interpret that?

14. White London is back!!! This is going to get interesting! Holland is creating Antari. Do you believe he is creating them or is just simply pulling forth the magic that was hidden inside the Antari?

15. Are you excited for Holland to be back? Do you think he and Kell will continue their battle or will he be grateful to Kell for saving him from the Danes? Why?

message 48: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2547 comments 10. Kell and Rhy are back! :) . Do you think this will get worse before it gets better?

I think they will spend some time working out the new dynamic. I'm sure they still love each other, but this situation is weird!

11. Rhy seems to be purposely looking for danger. Do you think this is his way of getting back at Kell for saving him and binding them together? Or is it just him flaunting the fact that he cannot die as easy as before?

I think he is reacting to his experience with self-destructive behavior. I don't think he is mad at Kell....well not REALLY mad. Mixed emotions though for sure!

12. Kell and Rhy seem to have a history with Alucard Emery and not a very good one. Any ideas as to what this could be about? Do you think Emery has something to do with the kidnapping of the prince mentioned in the first book? Or something completely different?

Oh maybe the kidnapping - I'd forgotten about that! I am hoping Emery isn't a bad guy because I like him!

13. Kell’s dream about Lila – that they were together and she was pulling him towards freedom – how would you interpret that?

I think he admires her free lifestyle.

14. White London is back!!! This is going to get interesting! Holland is creating Antari. Do you believe he is creating them or is just simply pulling forth the magic that was hidden inside the Antari?

I'm not sure yet - I was glad to see Holland back - I felt sorry for him in the last book.

15. Are you excited for Holland to be back? Do you think he and Kell will continue their battle or will he be grateful to Kell for saving him from the Danes? Why?

I think he SHOULD be grateful but I'm worried they are setting him up as the villain.

message 49: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 2768 comments March 23

10) yes, I do. Rhy doesn't seem to be adjusting well to near death and loss of control over his life. And Kell seems to have his own issues dealing with the darker side of the magic he used to make the bond.

11) Part of it may be to get back at Kell. But I think sometimes people take risks and push boundaries after almost dying as a way of affirming life.

12) not really sure. Maybe the kidnapping, but may be they had some kind of rivalry when they were younger.

13) that she may also be Antari and therefore mean he isn't alone in the world.

14) honestly I have no idea and am looking forward to finding out

15) surprised more so than excited and I think it brings an interesting twist to the story. I think he and Kell will still be battling it out, just for a different end game than before. Holland seems altered from who he was before

message 50: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 122 comments March 23 – Section 2: Prince at Large

10. Kell and Rhy are back! :) I just love the dynamic between those two. They are typical brothers who love each other but still know just how to get under each other’s skin. In the last book Kell saved Rhy’s life by binding them together. This seems to have affected their relationship and not in a good way. Do you think this will get worse before it gets better?

Possibly, until they learn to work with this new dynamic.

Maybe not getting back, but more as in an attempt to make himself feel alive "for himself"? Since he knows his life is technically Kell's, magically-speaking...

Rivarly? Something else that happened a few years ago? I don't think we learnt a lot about that kidnapping, so it may be related, but on the other hand, if Emery was involved, would the king keep him as a privateer? If he was involved, I don't think it was as a kidnapper. Perhaps someone who could have helped more, but didn't?

Lila at this point may represent the concept of freedom—Kell doesn't strike me as thinking/dreaming of her in a very romantic way, it feels more urgent, more desperate than that. Lila went her own way and did her own thing, without looking back, and this is something he cannot do.

I'm not completely sure for now. It seems like he's been injecting magic into people. Did he bring Vitari back from Black London, maybe? And in this case, is this something he's doing for good, for evil, or because he needs to get rid of the extra magic and has to find "vessels" for that? Atany rate, it seems that this is also affecting White London itself (Ojka's hair becoming coloured, the sky becoming blue instead of white...), so IMHO he's definitely found a way to bring back colour, aka magic, in a white, aka depleted world; and this magic has to be coming from somewhere...

Oh yes, I definietely want to see what Holland is about, and learn how he survived. Will he be grateful? I don't know. Somehow it would be fitting for him to be grateful... but more in a "you've freed me, thank you, now I can do my own harmful stuff".

« previous 1 3