Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine (Young Adult BOM); Starts March 12, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 217 (217 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod

This topic is to discuss Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:
In an exhilarating new series, New York Times bestselling author Rachel Caine rewrites history, creating a dangerous world where the Great Library of Alexandria has survived the test of time.…

Ruthless and supremely powerful, the Great Library is now a presence in every major city, governing the flow of knowledge to the masses. Alchemy allows the Library to deliver the content of the greatest works of history instantly—but the personal ownership of books is expressly forbidden.

Jess Brightwell believes in the value of the Library, but the majority of his knowledge comes from illegal books obtained by his family, who are involved in the thriving black market. Jess has been sent to be his family’s spy, but his loyalties are tested in the final months of his training to enter the Library’s service.

When his friend inadvertently commits heresy by creating a device that could change the world, Jess discovers that those who control the Great Library believe that knowledge is more valuable than any human life—and soon both heretics and books will burn…

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 19, 2016 07:27PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

12 March 1 1-61 JoLene

13 March 2-3 62-129 Judith

14 March 4-5 130-191 megan.lynn♡

15 March 6-8 192-246 Melissa

**BREAK DAY**

17 March 9-12 247-324 Imke

18 March 13-end 325-410(end) Rachel

Breakdown is based on this paperback version of the book
Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1) by Rachel Caine

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 09, 2016 02:04AM) (new)

Discussion Question Volunteers:

Melissa
Imke
Rachel
Jen
Karrie
Judith (first days please)
Rylie
megan.lynn♡
Marie
Carmen
Jolene (first days please)
Daphne

---------
randomised:

There were 12 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

megan.lynn♡
Melissa
Jolene (first days please)
Judith (first days please)
Imke
Rachel
Carmen
Daphne
Jen
Rylie
Karrie
Marie
Timestamp: 2016-03-09 10:02:04 UTC, IP: 211.30.173.219

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2811 comments I'm in!! I'll volunteer for DQ's too.

message 6: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm in and volunteer to write questions.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments I'm not supposed to be buying anymore books but a book about a library, I can't resist.

message 8: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I will do DQs.

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (g_wendy) | 14 comments In!

message 10: by JennyR (new)

JennyR (mortimerknits) | 107 comments I'd like to join, this will be my first BOM.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I just placed this book on hold at my library! :-)

message 12: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 981 comments I think I'll give this one a go!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Sign me up! :D

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I just saw that my library has a copy in transit to me at my branch. Since I will definitely have it in time for our official start, I'd like to volunteer to write DQs. :-)

Please add me to the list! :-) Thank you!!!

message 15: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I am starting this one soon. If you need me to I will do questions.

message 16: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 5020 comments Mod
I'm in and volunteer to write DQs, but I'd like to do an early section if you need me to write them. I'll be away for part of the reading schedule and I might end up a bit behind.

message 17: by Rylie (new)

Rylie | 298 comments I'm in! I think all of the days for DQS are filled, but if not, I'll volunteer. If so, I'll just be happy to discuss the book. :)

message 18: by Nalz (new)

Nalz (nalztothewallz) | 4 comments I would love to join the discussion on this book! :)

Alison (Lady Coffin) S | 914 comments I read this a while back, I may just stock you all when the questions come out. I am looking forward to reading Paper and Fire this summer.

message 20: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4939 comments can i volunteer for DQ's

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I'm in. I'd like to volunteer for DQs

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I'm usually months behind on the BOM books, but I just read this book this past week. I may also tag along with discussion.

message 23: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekahpaige) | 263 comments I got this one off of hold just in time! I'm in!

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Rebekah wrote: "I got this one off of hold just in time! I'm in!"

I was able to pick up my hold on it today, too! I'm excited to start it, but I think I'm going to force myself to wait until the DQ-posters have been decided upon. Otherwise, I'll be pausing to think over and write questions for each day on the chance that I'll be chosen for one of them. ;-)

message 25: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Yeah -- got it from the library so I'll volunteer for DQs. I wasn't sure if it would arrive in time for volunteering.

Will you randomly pick or is it first come first serve?? I'm a bit of a slow reader so I would need to start early if I'm asking near the end of the book :-)

message 26: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 937 comments Got my audio copy! I'd like to volunteer to write DQs for this one. :)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments I'm in! I've been dying to read this! : )

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14448 comments Mod
JoLene wrote: "Yeah -- got it from the library so I'll volunteer for DQs. I wasn't sure if it would arrive in time for volunteering.

Will you randomly pick or is it first come first serve?? I'm a bit of a slow ..."

We'll just use a randomiser, but if you are on the list we can put you as the first day :)

message 29: by Magalys (new)

Magalys I wanna join! This book seems really intriguing. :P

Sarah Michelle Virginia  DeRosier (vettechcosmetologybioartgroomer) | 2 comments I am a little late coming but I am think I am going to jump and and check this book out as well.

hopefully I can get it wrapped up in a good amount of time.(have a bad tendency of being a fairly slow reader)

message 31: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments So, when will the DQ leaders be picked??

message 32: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments I'm in on this one. Got the book from the library today!

message 33: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

DQ volunteers randomised and posted above

Please yell out if the date doesn't work for you

message 34: by Corinne (new)

Corinne | 86 comments I'm in

message 35: by Judith (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 5020 comments Mod
That day works for me!

message 36: by Khaoula E. (new)

Khaoula E. | 34 comments I'm in!

message 37: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Sounds good -- I started last night

message 38: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 135 comments My book just arrived in the mail!

Sarah Michelle Virginia  DeRosier (vettechcosmetologybioartgroomer) | 2 comments :) started today omg already in thralled with the plot I am hoping I can work my way through this quickly

message 40: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 9964 comments Mod
Starting this a couple of days early, as I'm not sure how the next few days will pan out with reading time.

I'll join the discussion sporadically :-)

message 41: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 1119 comments I'm in also!

message 42: by Marion (new)

Marion (readingcasually) | 0 comments I'll join in on the dicussion as well !

message 43: by Indiwyn (new)

Indiwyn | 10 comments I'm in! Never done a buddy read before, excited to try this out.

message 44: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Question: do the page numbers for the readings correspond with any of the breaks in the book (chapters, breaks within chapters)? I'm asking because the only copy the library had of this book is hard copy and I'm trying to figure out where I'm supposed to read to

message 45: by JoLene (last edited Mar 11, 2016 10:34PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Discussion Questions:
March 12 – Prologue – Chap 1

1) Have you read anything by Rachel Caine? Why did you decide to read Ink and Bone?

2) The chapters seem to each start with an ephemera. I’ve never heard the term so I looked it up.
According to Wikipedia: Ephemera (singular: ephemeron) is any transitory written or printed matter not meant to be retained or preserved. The word derives from the Greek, meaning things lasting no more than a day.
Do you think these serve a purpose to the story?

3) In the prologue, we are introduced to Jess, his Da, whose name is Callum, Liam his deceased brother, and learn that Jess doesn’t want to get caught by the garda and he is running through streets avoiding steam carriages. But the last sentence of the prologue places us in London (mentioned earlier) in 2025 --- was anyone else thrown off by this? I initially thought for sure they were in Ireland somewhere, back in the late 1800’s.

4) Jess’s family business is “running books”. What was your reaction when Jess delivered the book and the toff (rich upper-crust guy) ripped the page out and started eating it? Would you have tried to stop him?

5) Jess seems to have a dysfunctional family. His mom is checked out, his father is prone to violence and he doesn’t seem to get along well with his twin brother. Do you think Jess is using books to escape from this difficult situation?

6) I found it interesting that access to books and the knowledge they contain seems to be limited, yet each person was encouraged to write their own book which would be placed in the library. Do you think that the journals are used for nefarious purposes?

7) Taking a train to get to school somehow seems familiar. :-D Do you think that the other students (Khalila, Glain and Thomas) that Jess meets on the train will be friends or foes? Will they all make it through the training?

8) When I’m reading a physical book, I like to “inspect it” --- at the end of the book, there is a list of songs that the author listened to while writing the book. Did you notice that and will you look up any of the songs?

message 46: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Samantha wrote: "Question: do the page numbers for the readings correspond with any of the breaks in the book (chapters, breaks within chapters)? I'm asking because the only copy the library had of this book is har..."

I have a hardback and I just read through Chapter 1 which ended on page 46. Just use the chapters (not page numbers) because in most books the schedule is based on ending at chapter boundaries.

message 47: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Samantha wrote: "Question: do the page numbers for the readings correspond with any of the breaks in the book (chapters, breaks within chapters)? I'm asking because the only copy the library had of this book is har..."

Chapters are usually given as well. So if Day One is to read Chapter One, which I think is the case for this BOM, just read Chapter One in whatever edition you have, if it's different, and ignore the page numbers.

That's what I do. Hope it helps! :-)

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14448 comments Mod
Samantha wrote: "Question: do the page numbers for the readings correspond with any of the breaks in the book (chapters, breaks within chapters)? I'm asking because the only copy the library had of this book is har..."

Just use the chapter numbers rather than the page numbers if using a different version :)

message 49: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments Discussion Questions:
March 12 – Prologue – Chap 1

1) Have you read anything by Rachel Caine? Why did you decide to read Ink and Bone?
This is my first Rachel Caine. I decided to read it because it was a book about a library, it wasn't too expensive and was book of the month

2) The chapters seem to each start with an ephemera. I’ve never heard the term so I looked it up.
According to Wikipedia: Ephemera (singular: ephemeron) is any transitory written or printed matter not meant to be retained or preserved. The word derives from the Greek, meaning things lasting no more than a day.
Do you think these serve a purpose to the story?
I also looked it up and saw the words trivia and memorabilia which make more sense to me. I think they are snippets of past communication meant to illustrate the power, history and views of the library

3) In the prologue, we are introduced to Jess, his Da, whose name is Callum, Liam his deceased brother, and learn that Jess doesn’t want to get caught by the garda and he is running through streets avoiding steam carriages. But the last sentence of the prologue places us in London (mentioned earlier) in 2025 --- was anyone else thrown off by this? I initially thought for sure they were in Ireland somewhere, back in the late 1800’s.
I hadn't really thought much about it but Victorian London would probably have fit. With the automatons I was thinking steampunk.

4) Jess’s family business is “running books”. What was your reaction when Jess delivered the book and the toff (rich upper-crust guy) ripped the page out and started eating it? Would you have tried to stop him?
I don't have a death wish so given Jess knew he was a killer I would have let him do whatever he liked and made a run for it

5) Jess seems to have a dysfunctional family. His mom is checked out, his father is prone to violence and he doesn’t seem to get along well with his twin brother. Do you think Jess is using books to escape from this difficult situation?
Possibly although it sounds like he's been addicted to books and reading since birth. I just think he likes the knowledge and stories. He seems to really treasure books.

6) I found it interesting that access to books and the knowledge they contain seems to be limited, yet each person was encouraged to write their own book which would be placed in the library. Do you think that the journals are used for nefarious purposes?
Almost certainly. Knowledge is power and the library controls who has access to knowledge. I'm fascinated by the ink that seems to appear and disappear and how the library communicates by putting messages into books. I get the feeling they can access and read everything everyone thinks and writes

7) Taking a train to get to school somehow seems familiar. :-D Do you think that the other students (Khalila, Glain and Thomas) that Jess meets on the train will be friends or foes? Will they all make it through the training?
I think they will be the main contenders for the 6 spots available but will probably have to help each other out to succeed as it looks like they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

8) When I’m reading a physical book, I like to “inspect it” --- at the end of the book, there is a list of songs that the author listened to while writing the book. Did you notice that and will you look up any of the songs?
I have an ebook so don't tend to look at the end. Although don't usually do that with a physical book either in case of accidental spoilers. Don't think I would look up any of the songs anyway although occasionally if an author puts a playlist on spotify i will listen to it.

message 50: by Marion (new)

Marion (readingcasually) | 0 comments 1) I've never read anything by Rachel Caine before, so this is a great opportunity for a first time with an author. I chose to read this book this month because the premise sounds really cool, really fun and action packed, and I really like that in books, obviously. Also, reading a book about people reading books is kind of like a book-ception hehe

2) I'm thinking that the ephemeras will somehow become in sync with the story, like maybe they will have some form of predictions in them or something? I don't know, it's just a theory! So far they seem to be giving us history lessons that fit with what the story is about, which is also good for our understanding!

3) I was definitely taken aback by the reveal that the story is set in 2025. My guess was that it was taking place in the 19th or 20th century, with a steampunk element to it (am I mistaken in thinking that?) so yeah, it was kind of shocking!

4) I was so baffled and shocked by what the toff did! I didn't expect that at all; I thought he might start and give a moral lesson to Jess, telling him how one day he'll get caught for smuggling books but the rich and privileged would go on being untouchable, so the fact that there was pretty much no conversation between the two, and instead book-eating (literally) was... more than surprising to say the least. I don't know if I would have been able to stop him, either. I think I would have been to dumbfounded for it!

5) I think there's definitely something like that, yes, and it's very relatable too. We all go through tough things in life (some more than others, but that's not the point of this discussion), and people like us find comfort in books, and how relaxed they can make us feel, etc. I think Jess has that need in him, since he has so much love for books too.

6) I think maybe people's journals could be used to find out about book runners, so they could be easily found out by the Garda. Or maybe it's even worse than that and there's a whole plot to start humanity anew and erase any kind of records of people's memories!

7) I honestly wanna learn more about the people Jess met on the train, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them to all get through the training. Ideally they would all be friends, but I'm also hoping for a build up in their trust and friendship toward one another, that's one of my favorite things with group dynamics!

8) I saw the playlist at the end and got even more excited for this book. I looooooooove book playlists so much, especially when they come from the author themself (obviously). I will for sure give a listen to the songs Rachel Caine recommended :D

« previous 1 3 4 5