All About Books discussion

Birthday Letters
This topic is about Birthday Letters
The 100 Best Nonfiction Books > Week 4 - (1998) Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments This week's book is Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes.

Here's a link to the article:
http://gu.com/p/4gk26?CMP=Share_iOSAp...

Pink Loved it!

message 3: by Greg (last edited Feb 22, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
I read so little non-fiction that I'd supposed I wouldn't have heard of any of the entries. I don't think I've read this one, but I've heard of it. And I woild certainly love to read it - I'm very curious as I've read fair amounts of both of their work.

message 4: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I think this one is very good. Very moving, and it made me reevaluate my views on Ted Hughes as a person. I recommend it, Greg.

It came as quite a surprise to me in this series of nonfiction books. I wasn't expecting poetry to be included. A nice surprise, I must add!

message 5: by B the BookAddict (last edited Feb 22, 2016 12:17PM) (new) - added it

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Thank you, Gill, for this timely reminder. I've been aware of this book from my bio on Hughes in Lit Hist but been remiss in not adding it to my tbr before this. Just reserved the book from the library:)

I've always found the relationship/story of Hughes and Plath a magnetic one.

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Feb 22, 2016 12:29PM) (new) - added it

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I'd love to read this one. It always really confuses me to see poetry filed under non-fiction though.

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments I'd never thought of that, Jenny, but now I see what you mean.

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "I'd love to read this one. It always really confuses me to see poetry filed under non-fiction though."

It is odd Jenny. I'm gathering the subject matter is autobiographical, but it's still poetry! I'd understand more if it was a collection of letters or something like that.

message 9: by Gill (last edited Feb 22, 2016 02:27PM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments 'Poetry will be braided into the series like a golden thread' says McCrum, at the start of this article, so whatever the reason we have more to look forward to.

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Gill wrote: "'Poetry will be braided into the series like a golden thread' says McCrum, at the start of this article, so whatever the reason we have more to look forward to."

Interesting, I will enjoy that! :)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Have the book coming from the library on Monday. Now, I just have to remember to comment in this thread when I finish it!

message 12: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments B the BookAddict wrote: "Have the book coming from the library on Monday. Now, I just have to remember to comment in this thread when I finish it!"

We can remind you, Bette!

message 13: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Gill wrote: "B the BookAddict wrote: "Have the book coming from the library on Monday. Now, I just have to remember to comment in this thread when I finish it!"

We can remind you, Bette!"

OH we will!! ;)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Ta:)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Will pick up Birthday Letters on Tuesday 29th.

message 16: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Hope you enjoy it, Bette.

message 17: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "I'd love to read this one. It always really confuses me to see poetry filed under non-fiction though."

I suppose that some people think if it isn't fiction then it must be nonfiction -- poetry doesn't really fit into either of these categories though!

I came to this thread thinking that this book would be correspondence to and from Hughes (thus fitting both our seasonal poet and our seasonal non-fiction theme)!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Birthday Letters (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ted Hughes (other topics)