Aussie Readers discussion

Remote Area Nursing Can Be Quite A Journey: Nursing in the Outback is not what you might expect
Our Authors Spotlight > Remote Area Nursing

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Feb 21, 2016 10:27PM) (new)

Michael Scott | 10 comments I am a mature semi-retired Remote Area Registered Nurse and I have written about some of my adventures in over 50 Aboriginal communities across the top of Australia and in the top of Canada. We are a family of Registered Nurses with myself, my wife and our daughter and her husband all Registered Nurses. Working outback is something you can not prepare yourself for but something you grow into over time. Unfortunately, conditions are not getting better in spite of millions of dollars and so many people being burnt out trying to make a difference. http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Area-Nur...

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70416 comments Mod
Remote Area Nursing Can Be Quiet A Journey: Nursing in the Outback is not what you might expect by Michael Scott Moriarty

There's your book Michael:) It's better to link the Goodreads edition as well as the Amazon link, so people can check it out:)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Scott | 10 comments I do not understand the "Goodreads edition". Is that a different url then the link to Amazon? It is difficult to write about something you have done for 20 years knowing that your audience would like to read a positive uplifting story when it is a tragedy unfolding where we are continuing to do what we know does not work and expecting a miracle to take place.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The ASIN of the book which is showing on Goodreads is the edition from Amazon. So it's the same book. Different URL as one takes you to the book on Amazon and one to the book on Goodreads.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Robards (sharonrobards) | 944 comments Interesting Michael. I will forward the link on to my cousin. She has recently started working with the flying doctors in remote communities in the top end communities.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Scott | 10 comments Thank you, I am a new author and would like to make this part of my retirement. I just have to figure out how to promote and get sales and some feedback. I spent about $400 on various promotions which was a waste of our money.

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael I noticed you have misplaced your thread so am posting in it to bring it back to the top of the folder for you.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Scott | 10 comments Thank you, Brenda.
I am not surprised at all in the recent murder of an out-back Nurse. I wrote about the dangers, rapes and the fact that Nursing Agencies and the government withhold this vital information from potential Out-Back recruits in my book. There are so many dangerous practices forced on Remote Area Nurses by uncaring bureaucrats far removed from the area of practice all to save money. Unfortunately, the Nursing Union is also a toothless tiger in providing a safe work environment.
Remote Area Nurses should never work alone yet it is common practice.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Scott | 10 comments Brenda wrote: "Remote Area Nursing Can Be Quiet A Journey: Nursing in the Outback is not what you might expect by Michael Scott Moriarty

There's your book Michael:) It's better ..."

Brenda, can we correct the spelling in the posted title of Quite from Quiet?

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Fixed Michael:)

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Scott | 10 comments Thank You!!

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Scott | 10 comments My book is about real situations that I have personally experienced, the good the bad and the ugly. It is not a book for those looking for a happy ending or politicians looking for a pat on the back because neither are in the book. It is about how things are now and how they have been over the last 20 years or so. So very many people have tried to make a real difference and it is a credit to them. Things will not change until the remote Aboriginal people are ready to embrace change.