General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

In The Heart of the Sea > In The Heart of the Sea Week Two Discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4536 comments Mod
Week Two

This week will be an open discussion about the book so far so please share your thoughts with the rest of us.

Has it met your expectations?

No spoilers please I’ll open a whole book discussion later this week

message 2: by Debbie (new)

I want to talk about the cannibalism on the open seas. I was shocked to learn that this was a common occurrence and that they even drew straws among the living. Yuck!!

I also can't imagine being on the open sea in such a small boat and have no way to really know where you are, missing important land by mere nautical miles.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Deb, I was shocked too! It surprised me that one of the younger guys proposed drawing straws, but I guess starvation has terrible consequences. And near the end of the section the question is brought up about whether the black sailors were given the same amount of food, suggesting it was planned. I guess that's something we may never know.

It took several chapters to get rolling, but now that the pace has picked up, I find this book to be very informative.

message 4: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1685 comments I wasn't 100% shocked by the cannibalism as I assumed something like that might happen, but definitely shocked about the drawing of lots/straws. I couldn't imagine having to go through something like that. And especially the psychological effects that it would have on a person.

One point I found interesting in this section was, "White sailors often looked to blacks and their evangelical style of worship as sources of religious strength, especially in times of peril." This seems to be another point of how Black Sailors were treated differently.

How terrifying to be in the open sea in such a small boat. Having the boat attacked by Killer Whales and Sharks would be enough! Let alone the starvation and extreme weather condition they had to deal with. I found it interesting if not a little horrifying to read what the body goes through when being starved and dehydrated.

It really took me several chapters to get into the story also, and some chapters it is a struggle to get through as it almost reads like a encyclopedia of facts, which to me is quiet boring. I must say I have learnt a lot though. And I am happy to be reading it. I am interested to watch the movie and see how they have turned the story into a film.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "Deb, I was shocked too! It surprised me that one of the younger guys proposed drawing straws, but I guess starvation has terrible consequences. And near the end of the section the question is broug..."

Yes TarHeel I wondered about the Black Sailors too but then I dismissed it because no ship sets sail thinking the worse.

Thanks

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Debbie wrote: "Yes TarHeel I wondered about the Black Sailors too but then I dismissed it because no ship sets sail thinking the worse...."

Good point!!!

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "I wasn't 100% shocked by the cannibalism as I assumed something like that might happen, but definitely shocked about the drawing of lots/straws. I couldn't imagine having to go through something li..."

Oh I thought about the psychological effects too but I guess by the time a person even thinks of resorting to that their already in a psychological mess anyway.

message 8: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments These poor men were faced with obstacle after obstacle. When they finally arrived at an island I could feel their hopes soar at the possibility of fresh water and food and then the realization came that there was no more food left on the island sent their hopes crashing down again. I was surprised some of the men decided to remain on the island while the rest took their chances and got back on the boats.

I was more shocked to learn the men on Pollard's boat drew lots to decide which man was to be used for food and which man was to be the executioner than reading of the men eating their fellow sailors who had died from starvation and dehydration. My heart went out to all the men on the boat. It could not have been an easy decision to carry out.

I do feel I have learn a lot from this book. While there are some parts that do lag with a bit too much technical talk for me, overall I am really enjoying it.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "These poor men were faced with obstacle after obstacle. When they finally arrived at an island I could feel their hopes soar at the possibility of fresh water and food and then the realization came..."

April great comments. My heart went out to them too when they found an island and then it turned out to be more of a trap than a sanctuary.

I'm almost afraid to read the rest you know