What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Immigrant (to U.S.) family saga. Possibly Jewish, thick book, wife domineering, husband fairly spineless; wife took control in bedroom and became pregnant.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments I read this book in the mid 1980s when I was in high school.

I don't remember much except that I loved it and would like to read it again and these things:

- the story began with the immigration of a family (perhaps Jewish??) to the USA.

- the wife was very domineering and the husband a fairly spineless fellow

- probably because I was a teenager I remember a scene where the wife had decided she wanted a child and because her husband lacked prowess in the bedroom, she took control (much to his shock) and did become pregnant. I think this child was a son.

- the book was extremely long - it was probably 3 or 4 inches thick - the copy I read was a standard novel size.

- The book went on to detail the lives of family members, possibly several generations, but I don't recall any other plot details.

Thanks in advance for any help :-)

message 2: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments The midwife maybe?

message 3: by Tor (last edited Feb 22, 2016 05:28PM) (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments Laurie wrote: "The midwife maybe?"

Thanks Laurie - I have had a look at Gay Couter's site and read the first part of the novel there however the protagonist's occupation of midwife does not ring any bells for me.

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments I remember loving that novel and it's sequel.

I'll think on this Tor and see if what I can come up with.

message 5: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 204 comments Maybe something by Fred M. Stewart, like Century or Ellis Island? Both are sagas about immigrant families that came out in the 80s.

message 6: by C. (new)

C. | 219 comments Can you recall anything about the book's cover, or where they settled? Was that couple the only people covered in the story?

message 7: by Ayshe (last edited Feb 25, 2016 08:01AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments That part about the wife taking control rang a bell with me and after half an hour of trying I remembered what book from: A Stranger In The Mirror
I am not sure if it is yours, but since you said any help.

ETA: It looks like it fits the immigration and the wife's domineering parts. I hope it is your book because it was somewhat repulsive to me (not the sex, rather that current the world is cruel and all tender/beautiful/innocent is doomed sort of thing) and I'd like to get it out of mind now :)

message 8: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Maybe something by Belva Plain? One of the Werner Family Saga books, perhaps?

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 595 comments Yes, what Andria thought -- I was wondering about the Werner Saga also (I think it starts with Evergreen...but I didn't remember the female being super domineering...she did have an affair though...

message 10: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments Ayshe wrote: "That part about the wife taking control rang a bell with me and after half an hour of trying I remembered what book from: A Stranger In The Mirror
I am not sure if it is yours, but si..."

Hi Ayshe, thanks so much for the idea but on investigation of that book it is not it. Interesting that you thought of a Sidney Sheldon novel though as I often wonder if it would have been one of his or Harrold Robbins - my mum read a lot of those at the time so very likely - but I have read though many many blurbs of these authors and don't think any are the book.

message 11: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments C. wrote: "Can you recall anything about the book's cover, or where they settled? Was that couple the only people covered in the story?"

Hi C, Unfortunately the details I mentioned are the only ones I remember for sure - anything else I wrote would be a guess and therefore possibly misleading. Thank-you though for taking the time to do some thinking for me.

message 12: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments Jenna wrote: "Yes, what Andria thought -- I was wondering about the Werner Saga also (I think it starts with Evergreen...but I didn't remember the female being super domineering...she did have an a..."

Thank-you Andria and Jenna, I just read some reviews on GR and this series does sound very much like the book I have in mind. Interestingly a number of people mentioned they loved it as teenagers too. Will definitely hunt out a copy and check if it is the one.

message 13: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments Natasha wrote: "Maybe something by Fred M. Stewart, like Century or Ellis Island? Both are sagas about immigrant families that came out in the 80s."

HI Natasha,

Thank-you for your ideas. I looked them up on GR and not sure how likely they are to be the book I'm looking for but they sound like something I will enjoy anyway.

message 14: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 188 comments Hi Tor,

Not your book, but your post reminded me of Henry Roth's Call it Sleep, and I thought you might find it by looking at the lists associated with that book. It is also a Jewish immigrant story based in New York in the early 20th c.

Here's a link to the lists:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/book/3...

This one looks the most promising: "Immigrant Experience Literature"
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

Good luck!

message 15: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments Laina wrote: "Hi Tor,

Not your book, but your post reminded me of Henry Roth's Call it Sleep, and I thought you might find it by looking at the lists associated with that book. It is also a Jewish..."

Hi Laina,

Thanks so much - very kind of you.

message 16: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments Tor wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Yes, what Andria thought -- I was wondering about the Werner Saga also (I think it starts with Evergreen...but I didn't remember the female being super domineering...she..."

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know I checked out Evergreen and it was not the book.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Steph (loves water) | 110 comments How about something by Cynthia Freeman? She wrote several Jewish family saga books.

message 18: by Tor (new)

Tor (silverfrog) | 11 comments Thanks Steph,

I just read a little bit of Portraits - definitely a similar story so I will read a bit of some of Freeman's other books. Thanks for the suggestion.

message 19: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Maybe a book by Maisie Mosco?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Yesterday's Streets by Silvia Tennenbaum? Some of them emigrate to the U.S. and some stay in Germany or other parts of Europe.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill | 38 comments The Emigrants is about Norwegian emigrants. It is originally in Norwegian. Not sure this is what you're looking for, but it is saga-esque.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Details added to header.

Tor, did you check out the suggestions from #19 on?

message 24: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Details added to header.

Tor, did you check out the suggestions from #19 on?"

No response in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.