Alternate Realities: A Scifi Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Recommendations for space opera/space epics

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Feb 21, 2016 04:20PM) (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 4 comments I've been enjoying Ann Leckie's Ancillary series, and James S. A. Corie's Expanse series, Andy Weir's The Martian and Ciuxin Liu's Three Body Problem(others) and Neal Stephenson's Anathema (+others). Any other recommendations for works written in, say, the last ten years (I have the classic guys Herbert, Asimov, Heinlein etc, so don't need help on the old stuff) that are Big, Intergalactic and exceedingly well-written? I'm finding Amazon's algorithms are doing me wrong and steering me to some truly bad and cheesy stuff, so I must turn to you, fellow humans, for counsel.

message 2: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 12 comments It appears that many of the books you've read I did too. I might suggest "Fluency" though it really has more to tell so for some that's a negative. I liked it overall and it did have a unique feel to it. Just a thought.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 4 comments Fluency Fluency (Confluence, #1) by Jennifer Foehner Wells

Looks intriguing! Thank you for the recommendation.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt | 1 comments Have you tried Peter F. Hamilton? A bit daunting in size, but the world building is done well and has new and creative ideas. Really enjoyed Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 4 comments I'll check into it--sounds like what I'm looking for.

message 6: by Blue.Skies (new)

Blue.Skies | 9 comments I have recently read the Rich Man's war series as well as the Dread Empire Series - both are not "hardcore" Space Opera but nice reads.
And let's not forget the Vorkosigan Saga - despite it not being Space Opera most of the time I found them oddly satisfying my SciFi-needs.

Peter F Hamiltons Night Dawn Trilogy as well as the first two Commonwealth books are definitely worth reading and probably more what you are looking for.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie R. Sorensen (stephanier_sorensen) | 4 comments Blue Skies, thanks so much for your recommendations!

Alternate Realities: A Scifi Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fluency (other topics)