Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > The Girls of Atomic City

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (last edited Feb 21, 2016 03:48PM) (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II
By Denise Kiernan
4 stars

I love to read stories about ordinary people because they often turn out to be among the most extraordinary people. That's the case with the young women who accepted employment at Oak Ridge, Tennessee without knowing what their jobs were but that they would be helping win the war. They were helping build the atomic bomb.

Thank goodness the author interviewed these women and told their stories now before it's too late. First-hand accounts of the time are quickly being lost as we lose the people who lived it. For that reason alone, this book is worth reading. It's no The Greatest Generation. In fact I didn't like the book's organization at all, but I did thoroughly enjoy reading the women's stories.

message 2: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I liked it because it is such a little known aspect of the development of the bomb. I agree, I'm glad she took on the work when she did. I saw the author speak at National Book Festival and one of the survivors was with her!

message 3: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1431 comments I agree with you about the organization which is why the book didn't get 5 stars from me but I'm definitely glad these women got to tell their stories.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments That must have been interesting to see one of the women, Regina Rachel and Regina, looks like the three of us agree on this book.

message 5: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Oh, it was! And, it probably added to my reading experience

message 6: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Oh, it was! And, it probably added to my reading experience