UK Book Club discussion

Your Reading Experience > Do you re-rate books?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda Dobinson (baspoet) | 510 comments I haven't re-rated any books but I would like to. There are a few books that after a few months I have felt I was over-generous. One book (before I was on Goodreads) I read and did not think much of, then a few years later, thought about, re-read - loved. That novel was Cranford

message 2: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments I have change the rate of a couple of books where I have reread them and felt I had over/under rated them but only after rereading them. Sometimes when you read a book your just not in the right frame of mind for it, or you didn't understand where it was coming from, so it gets under rated through no fault of its own. I haven't gone from giving a book 1 star to 4 but it may have moved up/down 1 star.

message 3: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1358 comments Mod
Interesting question.
I have re-rated a book after a re-read but as Tania says it has only moved up or down one star.
I have also re-rated a book after reading another book by the same author and then ended up thinking the first one was better or worse.
I'm not sure I would be comfortable just looking at my read list and re-rating them because I would rather rely on my first impression.

message 4: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 234 comments I have also changed a rating after reading a book again

message 5: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments I think that your reading taste and standards change as time goes on and books I gave 5 stars then would only get 3 stars now looking at what I have read I the past.

message 6: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I do sometimes re-rate a book but that's not surprising since I'm often not sure what rating to give in the first place - I mean is it a 3 or a 4....?!! 3 seems too low, 4 too high...

message 7: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
Maybe within a few days of the first read, then only after a re-read.

I don't have a problem with the stars. I've come to thinking of them as being like food.

1 = Hated it, stomach churning couldn't finish it yuk/it was good for me to finish but I didn't enjoy it one bit.
2 = OK as a filler but I won't be having that again any time soon.
3 = Yes I enjoyed that while it lasted but not particularly tasty or memorable. Looking forward to something different.
4 = Scrummy....I really enjoyed eating that but I'm now full enough of it to wait for my next meal.
5 = Wow......that was semi orgasmic on the taste buds. Wish I could eat that again right now however full I am.

message 8: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Hehehehehe I love your definitions! They're sooooo you!!

message 9: by Tania (new)

Tania | 1008 comments Never thought of books as food but love your way of thinking.

message 10: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
To paraphrase Barry White or some other bloke who was good with words?

Let books be the food I love. Read on.