Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Authors General Chat > What do you want in a book?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I was reading The Cement Garden today, and I loved the creepy atmosphere, but I knew that my parents go for completely different types of books.

So, I want to know what you love in a book, what makes it just perfect reading for you, that might not be to everyone's taste? We all love a well written book, but what just hits your mental G spot?

message 2: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 216 comments The relationships between the characters have to be meaningful, emotional. I like to see how they are connected. I'll happily read something with an iffy plot as long as I feel the characters connect with each other. Obviously I'd rather not read something with a typical story, but I'll forgive a lot if I like the characters. The books I recommend to everyone, though, have an unpredictable plot as well as amazing characters.

message 3: by Bruce (new)

Bruce (bruce1984) | 8 comments I like to see some kind of conflict. I read so many books that I don't feel have an adequate sense of urgency to move them forward. They have great premises and great characters and great dialog but just seem to fall flat after that.

message 4: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn Meaning, Lyrical Writing, and Escape :)

Good Question, Virginia!

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Renate | 3 comments I ask three things from a book when I pick it up. I want it to make me laugh, to make me cry, to make me think, and when I put it down at the end, if it had all those things in it, be able to say, "that was a good book."
Not all books have it, that moment, when you've finished a story and there's a sort of quiet inside and you just stare off into the middle distance feeling the book settle under your bones.
I've striven for that, but I don't know if I succeeded because I've read my work too many times.

message 6: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 179 comments I find I'm drawn to books with intriguing characters. I especially like a protagonist who's flawed but trying to do the right thing.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1398 comments Mod
Lmao @ mental G spot. That's definitely a new one for me Virginia!

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1720 comments lol that was a good one. i really just look for stories that come to life, be it characters and environments. just something that feels real no matter how fantastical it may be, like Imajica by Clive Barker

message 9: by Justin (new)

Identity, Substance and direction.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Heffner I am all about the characters, creative world-building, and a plot twist that I didn't see coming - or twists :) I really like an antagonist who is actually a challenge

message 11: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Compelling characters, a protagonist you can identify with.
Didn't-see-that-coming moments
A storyline that makes me smile, cry, laugh by an author that can write these types of books without profanity, constant "F" bombs, and graphic scenes.

message 12: by Justin (new)

Everything I like! lol.

message 13: by Angel (last edited Mar 10, 2017 10:06AM) (new)

Angel | 28 comments Several plot twists/subplots, unique complex characters, lots of action, intensity, unpredictable, original and compelling storytelling, thought provoking, lots of depth, true to life, unforgettable, lots of diversity, relatable, the more variety the better I get bored very easily and very quickly, mixed genres, emotion....