Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Books by Title/Title=topic name > _The Wind in the Willows_ (children's novel) by Kenneth Grahame and _Toad of Toad Hall_ (play) by A. A. Milne

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 21, 2016 03:01PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments BELOW IS FROM MY GOODREADS REVIEW

I've always been curious about the children's story, _The Wind in the Willows_ but was never interested enough to read it. However, just by chance I've discovered an entertaining and precious YouTube of the play, Toad of Toad Hall, by A.A. Milne who dramatized Kenneth Grahame's 1908 novel, The Wind in the Willows .

Wiki says "A.A.Milne extracted the adventures of Mr. Toad (which form only about half of the original book) because they lent themselves most easily to being staged."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad_of...

The YouTube link to this version of _Toad of Toad Hall_ is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeiR-...

The narration is done by RICHARD BRIERS who is excellent as a story teller. He kept me listening even though it's a child's story. He has so much expresson and his British accent adds to the charm.

The incidental musical background is very entertaining and adds a lot to the story. I loved it! The precious illustrations are by RICHARD HOOK.

I'll bet you can't stop watching this particular YouTube once you start. There are 4 parts and they roll along one after the other. You can read along as you look at the illustrations and listen because there is text in certain parts. Try this YouTube! You won't be able to stop listening and watching!

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6067 comments Joy, way back about fifty years ago "Wind in the Willows" episodes were on Public TV and we put them on VCR's. Do you remember pre-DVD's? And i just loved watching them so I know what you mean.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes, Nina, I do remember the "olden" days. :)
I never watched the "Wind in the Willows" episodes years ago. It's always been a name I had always heard of but never knew anything about.

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6067 comments Joy H. wrote: "BELOW IS FROM MY GOODREADS REVIEW

I've always been curious about the children's story, _The Wind in the Willows_ but was never interested enough to read it. However, just by chance I've discovered..."
I had not forgotten how much I loved these characters. Thanks for posting it. My memory serves me right. They are unforgettable.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments You're welcome, Nina. I KNEW you'd know about The Wind in the Willows. :)

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wind in the Willows (other topics)
Toad of Toad Hall (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

A.A. Milne (other topics)