Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > New author seeking guidance on Kindle Select

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Fain | 2 comments I seek comments on the much covered topic of whether to use Kindle Select on Amazon.com. I have my first book out on Kindle, very soon to come out on POD on Create Space. I am weighing the pros and cons of having people do all these free downloads of my Kindle book - and wonder if that would take future sales from my paperback version of the same book. I am just getting started and need "exposure" but want to take the best path. What have other new Indie authors experiencedMystical Animals of Ancient Oak

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Just because someone downloads it for free, doesn't mean they will read it, let alone review it. I have found that selectively giving my book away on Goodreads, my website, and other groups has been far more valuable than using KDP and I am more likely to get a review because that is the point of the programs.

I prefer having the ability to diversify my exposure. I publishing on Kindle and Smashwords (which is technically only for e-book, but they let you add the link to your paperback and then distributors like Barnes and Noble will pick up both.) Smashwords distributes to 13 other distributors such as B & N, Apple Ibooks, Scribed, Oyster and Baker & Taylor.

I also select worldwide distribution on Createspace for my paperbacks.

I personally find that I get more sales on Smashwords, but it is probably because I spend more time marketing with my Smashwords link.

I know that there are other authors who swear by KDP, and I will let them weigh in on why they think it is preferably. I also know many authors who were once making very good money through KDP have seen their sales numbers drop drastically in the last year.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Fain | 2 comments Heidi wrote: "Just because someone downloads it for free, doesn't mean they will read it, let alone review it. I have found that selectively giving my book away on Goodreads, my website, and other groups has bee..."

Thanks Heidi for your comments. I am only on Kindle - not Kindle Select. But I am just starting promotion and have a long way to go. I have to check out Smashwords. I have heard of it, but have not uploaded to it yet. I've read a lot of authors who are for or highly annoyed at Kindle Select!

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Smashwords is great because you can create a coupon code (or just gift the book) to allow for free copies to be given out. I like having control, which is why I self-pubbed in the first place!

message 5: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Cynthia wrote: "I am weighing the pros and cons of having people do all these free downloads of my Kindle book - and wonder if that would take future sales from my paperback version of the same book..."

Cynthia, when you say free downloads, are you referring to the free promos KDP Select authors can run? Or something else?

The effects of giving books away varies widely, but eBook markets and print markets differ and most indie authors sell many more eBook books and paperbacks. So the effect seems to be minimal overall, but in terms of a specific book, "overall" means very little.

I would suggest a note of caution regarding finding the "best path": for most authors that takes many years and quite a number of books. Since every author -- even every book -- is unique, it's pretty much trial and error -- mostly error. The thing is, "success" (however you define) can't be judged in a month or even a year and maybe not for many years, so in the short terms there's really no way to judge if you're "doing it right."

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4310 comments Mod
You can find more on the debate about Select vs. not here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

But, as Owen said, it's really just trial and error. Some things work for some authors, some things do not. Select has worked well for me in helping to get exposure and gain a wider audience, which has produced some sales. But, I have a lot of work out there to play with. I'm not sure the that Select would be useful for an author with one book to their name.

So, the best advice I could give to you would be -- write another book and another and another. The more work you have out there, the more you have to play with in promotions and the easier it will be for readers to find you.

message 7: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor Heidi wrote: "Smashwords is great because you can create a coupon code (or just gift the book) to allow for free copies to be given out. I like having control, which is why I self-pubbed in the first place!"
Not sure if anyone realizes this, but the coupon codes somehow go public. I generated a free coupon for one book for the holidays and found the code ended up on various sites. I suppose it's possible these sites scoured twitter and found it in my tweets, but given they focus on these coupon codes it seemed far more likely the codes are public knowledge. I wasn't overly bothered by it as it generated a little more free promotion for the book, but it was a little discouraging when I want to use the coupons to reward followers.