The YA and Middle Grade Fiction Group discussion

Book Nook > Humor vs. Moral

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 214 comments Mod
I have been thinking about this for a while and am wondering what you all think. In children's books, is it more important for stories to contain a moral or to be entertaining and humorous? I would love to hear your opinion :)

message 2: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Reynolds | 214 comments Mod
I think a moral is important. Kids spent all of their time watching meaningless TV and playing video games with no redeeming value. It's important for literature to enclose a lesson to make up for screen time.

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 191 comments I think a moral is important. However, it's also very important that the reader - especially if it's a child - is entertained enough to continue reading and enjoying the story, and that you aren't being too preachy. So, I think it's best to have an entertaining story - it doesn't have to be funny, just enjoyable and entertaining enough to keep someone's attention - but to have a moral in there somewhere, which is obvious if you're looking for one.

While this mainly applies for children, it doesn't hurt to have a moral in there for adults too. Although, you generally have to be more subtle with putting morals in stories for adults, otherwise many of them won't read it.