Great War (1914-1918): The Society and Culture of the First World War discussion

World War One Collectibles

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean McLachlan | 52 comments Let's start a thread on WWI items we have collected. I have a small collection, mostly of postcards and some period books, and I bet there are some others on this group who have some interesting things too. My latest purchase is a Croix de Guerre I picked up in Tangier. Perhaps it was earned by one of the many Moroccan troops on the Western Front? I blogged about it here.

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 75 comments Mod
Sean, great idea!

I also have a small collection -- a small collection (about 100) of WW1 books (history books from the era, 1914-1920, ephemera or pamphlets like war-time cook books). Approximately 1,000 original WWI-era (and WWI related postcards) with an emphasis on Austro-Hungarian and German and also the Habsburgs/K.u.K. Monarchie.) I have maybe 2 dozen medals or medallions and 2 bayonets. 1 is a 1907 Belgian, the other is I think a WW1 era, but I think it might have been cut down later because it's only about 12 inches...but I could be wrong. (The person who sold it to me said it was WW1, but I start to doubt...) Plus hundreds (?) of post 1980s history books on WW1. A Christmas 1914 Princess Mary tin box.

So much on my wish list! No time to do serious hunting and...worse...no money!

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean McLachlan | 52 comments I love vintage postcards. I have some from WWI, maybe two dozen. Sometime I'll get around the scanning and sharing them. Do you have any pics of your collection?

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Capets (andrewcapets) | 6 comments Hey Sean
I too have been collecting items of WW1 but have tried to focus on my grandfather’s machine gun battalion. Love finding post cards and photos from their days in France. I have his battalion photo taken after the Armistice. I found a post card taken outside the hotel they stood in front of for the picture.
Andrew

message 5: by Sep (new)

Sep | 10 comments My great-grandmother was on a Cook's tour of Europe in 1914. She was told that war was imminent, left the tour in Paris, and came home early. I treasure her post cards from that trip. I also have post cards of the British royals of the time in uniform and (the women) Red Cross outfits.

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 75 comments Mod
Dear Sean - I do have scans. What would most interest you? (And can i figure out how to upload a photo here.)

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 75 comments Mod
Sep - that is so interesting. And I would love to get some more of Red Cross nurses - those always fetch more when they are sold than other Red Cross postcards.

message 8: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 16 comments Great idea for discussion. I believe I have a WWI infantryman's rifle bullet (casing) which has been formed into a watch fob or watch clasp or something like that. Its on one of my older pieces I don't have cause to wear very often.

But I do choose the WWI officer's style wristwatch as my typical timepiece. Its still one of the best looking styles of military watch, out there.

message 9: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 16 comments Ah---I forgot that I collect early zeppelin and dirigible memorabilia. I have postcards and photos of these amazing craft.

On an unrelated note: here's an online exhibit of WWI 'lantern slides'. Showing the landscapes of occupied France.

https://www.abebooks.com/photography/...

message 10: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 16 comments Eugene Atget is another fabulous documentary photographer from the turn of the century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%...

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Maisano (petitchevalier) | 1 comments Nice idea, I have some things in my collection, actually most of it was my granddad's stuff, he was a lieutenant in the Italian army and he fought on the Italian front during WW1. But these are two medals I bought in a flea market near my hometown in South Italy.
The first one is the Italian version of the Inter-Allied Victory medal and the second one is a "Medaglia commemorativa della guerra italo-austriaca 1915-1918" (Commemorative Italian-Austrian war medal)

message 12: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler | 18 comments I'm a big fan of trench watches. I've been wearing an approx. 1916 Lancet for the past couple of days.

message 13: by Sep (new)

Sep | 10 comments What does a trench watch look like?

message 14: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler | 18 comments Sep wrote: "What does a trench watch look like?"

I can't figure out how to post photos. If you do an image search for trench watch, you'll see a variety of what were, essentially, women's pocket watch movements placed in new cases with fixed lugs. Wristwatches weren't worn by men in 1914; and pocket watches were inconvenient.

message 15: by Sep (new)

Sep | 10 comments Thank you.

Great War (1914-1918): The Society and Culture...

unread topics | mark unread