Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Book survey: help us out!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Hi all,
I would be forever grateful to all of you if you can take 10 minutes of your time and fill out our book survey for my blog challenge that I mentioned last week: March Madness.

There are quite a few PBT members who have nominated books and these will be the books that will be making up our book brackets. For the challenge that will officially start March 17.

Anyway, quite a few PBT books have made it on here from the non-fiction list but there's also a really wide range. If you help us out you will be entered into a raffle to win a $15 Amazon gift card as a thank you for your time.

Here the link. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y6HLHH2

The survey will be open through Feb 29. I'll update this post with the results for anyone who is interested.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Done. :-)

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Susie wrote: "Done. :-)"

thank you so much!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I'll announce the winner of the $15 gc on March 1.

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4904 comments Can anyone fill out the survey, even if they are not playing the game?

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments annapi wrote: "Can anyone fill out the survey, even if they are not playing the game?"

yes! even better if they are not playing since I'm assuming we'll all vote for our own books. People can also sign up and join the challenge as long as they fill out a bracket -- which I'll post once the survey closes. Of course, it's nicer to try and read your own nominees but there are quite a few really good books on the list so everyone can probably find at least one book they want to read.

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Done.

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4904 comments Jen wrote: yes! even better if they are not playing since I'm assuming we'll all vote for our own books. "

Oh good. I got one of my friends to fill it out, and I think I will get my husband to do it too.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5631 comments Done! (and my tbr is groaning with the extra weight...)

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Done! (and my tbr is groaning with the extra weight...)"

oops, sorry about that :) and thank you!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments annapi wrote: "Oh good. I got one of my friends to fill it out, and I think I will get my husband to do ..."

great, the larger the sample, the more representative the results so share away.

message 12: by punxsygal (new)

punxsygal | 270 comments Completed!

message 13: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Done.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate | 91 comments Done, but I'm curious about something. It is rather a long survey and even having read a good third of the titles I was starting to experience a little synopsis fatigue by the end. I would guess that unknown books towards the top of the survey might get a more positive response than those towards the bottom due to your readers taking more time to give them a chance rather than just wanting to get to the end. On the other hand maybe that should correlate to schools in the major conferences getting higher seeds because they are television more often :)

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Kate wrote: "Done, but I'm curious about something. It is rather a long survey and even having read a good third of the titles I was starting to experience a little synopsis fatigue by the end. I would guess th..."

You make a very valid point. It is long. I timed my husband and it took him 12 minutes. I actually realized this would be a problem early on so I've randomized the page order. And out of 30 responses so far, only 2 haven't completed all of them.

And continued thanks to everyone who has completed it.

message 16: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5493 comments Completed

message 17: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2182 comments Done.

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Did it!

message 19: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments Done!

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Thanks everyone! We have 60 responses so far. Voting closes end of day on the 29th. I"ll put the ranked list up here for anyone who is interested in the results along with the name of the winner of the gift card.

I really do appreciate it! This group rocks! I know it's quite a few books to rate so I am really appreciative of you taking the time to help us out.

message 21: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Done.

message 22: by JudithAnn (new)

JudithAnn | 41 comments Done. I realized while filling this out how important covers are for me. Maybe more so than the description.

message 23: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Covers are very important. One thing that displeases me about Kindle is not being able to see those wonderful covers when I pick up the book to read.

message 24: by Jen (last edited Feb 25, 2016 06:20PM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments JudithAnn wrote: "Done. I realized while filling this out how important covers are for me. Maybe more so than the description."

I agree, covers are important. I actually left the covers off so that people would make decisions based on the synopses rather than the cover images (and also because it would have taken twice as long to put together). Covers are very important for me too.

And, thanks for voting

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Sushicat wrote: "Done."

Thanks!

message 26: by Jen (last edited Mar 01, 2016 07:06AM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Thanks to everyone who voted. We got over 70 votes (70 complete surveys and a few incomplete ones).

First off, our random gift card winner goes to Anita. The randomizer has been kind to Anita. Congrats! I'll be emailing you the gift card today!

Second, I wanted to share some of the results here since you all took the time to help us out. We divided our books into 4 "divisions": fiction by U.S. born author; Fiction by non-U.S. born author, non-fiction & sci-fi/fantasy. We gave greater weight to votes cast based on having read the book (about twice as much weight) and used ratings to rank books from best to worst (least popular). Worst is all relative because there were no bad book and instead just reading preferences. Here are our top three for each category:

Fiction by U.S. born author (x = mean rating from 1-10):
1. A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Marra (x=8.38)
2. Epitaph by Russell (x = 8.20)
3. Night Film by Pessl (x = 8.14)

Fiction by non-US author:
1. The Noise of Time by Barnes (x = 8.1)
2. Half of a Yellow Sun by Adichie (x = 8.0)
3. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (x = 7.66)

non-fiction:
1. Between the World and Me by Coates (x = 8.46)
2. Boys in the Boat by Brown (x=7.77)
3. Maus: A Survivor's Tale (x=7.77)
NOTE: We gave the tie to Boys in the boat because it had a higher ranking among those who read it. Interestingly Boys in the boat was one of the top ranked among those who read it but interest level in reading it was really low (x=4.24)

Sci-fi/fantasy:
1. The martian by Weir (x=8.64)
2. The Lions of Al-Rassan by Gavriel (x=8.03)
3. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (x=7.9)

If anyone wants to see the full rankings by division, check out our brackets:
http://thereadersroom.org/2016/03/01/...

Want to join the challenge? Check out the link above and request your bracket. We'll be giving away prizes for three categories: 1) person who nominated the book that is paired with the winning basketball team; 2) the person who predicts the most number of correct matchups; and 3) grand prize for the person who earns the most points (points earned by reading and reviewing books).

message 27: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Jen wrote: "Thanks to everyone who voted. We got over 70 votes (70 complete surveys and a few incomplete ones).

First off, our random gift card winner goes to Anita. The randomizer has been kind to Anita. Co..."

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! I feel super lucky :). I promise to make great use of it!!

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Anita wrote: "Jen wrote: "Thanks to everyone who voted. We got over 70 votes (70 complete surveys and a few incomplete ones).

First off, our random gift card winner goes to Anita. The randomizer has been kind ..."

Congrats, Anita!

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Okay, I posted a comment that I wanted a bracket, and left the name I use here and an email. The comment doesn't show yet (perhaps you have to approve it) but let me know if it doesn't.

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Karin wrote: "Okay, I posted a comment that I wanted a bracket, and left the name I use here and an email. The comment doesn't show yet (perhaps you have to approve it) but let me know if it doesn't."

I have the blog set up so that the first comment requires approval but then afterwards you should be autoapproved. I saw your message but didn't see an email address. Can you send that to me as a private message and I will send the bracket tonight! thanks

message 31: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nice list, I've read 8/12

message 32: by punxsygal (new)

punxsygal | 270 comments Jen wrote: "Thanks to everyone who voted. We got over 70 votes (70 complete surveys and a few incomplete ones).

First off, our random gift card winner goes to Anita. The randomizer has been kind to Anita. Co..."

Congratulations, Anita! You deserve it.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments For anyone who is playing (there are quite a few PBT players competing...

the teams were announced today so I have paired the books and teams.

Here are the matches:

http://thereadersroom.org/2016/03/13/...

Request you bracket today and I'll email you a copy. The link above has the list of prizes we will be offering to the winners.

message 34: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Jen wrote: "For anyone who is playing (there are quite a few PBT players competing...

the teams were announced today so I have paired the books and teams.

Here are the matches:

http://thereadersroom.org/201..."

Thanks. My husband will think this is silly, but I'm hoping he'll give me his opinions since he watches some basketball, although I"m not sure how much or if it includes college. Right now he's been watching the biathalons and the speed skating which are going on somewhere in the world.

message 35: by Jen (last edited Mar 13, 2016 04:38PM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Karin wrote: My husband will think this is silly, but I'm hoping he'll give me his opinions since he watches some basketball, although I"m not sure how much or if it includes college. Right now he's been watching the biathalons and the speed skating which are going on somewhere in the world.

Good luck! My husband thinks it's silly too. I plan on picking mine based more on what books I want to read but I had to make a few changes since Providence got matched up to a book I hadn't wanted to read. I work in Providence so of course have to pick them to win a few :)

of course, i'm not competing for the prizes so it takes off some of the pressure.

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments um, so I messed something up. I used a 2015 bracket for the book version but in the 2016 NCAA they reversed Midwest and south in their positions.

So this means it may impact your final two rounds of picks. Karin - I will send you a new version. Please fill that version out.

Anyone else who wants to join. put in your requests for brackets today and I will send you the correct version. The final day to submit is end of day March 16.

message 37: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4904 comments Jen, I am totally in the dark about how to do this. I tried selecting books by copy/pasting from one field to the other, but it doesn't seem to work. Help? This bracket business I am also clueless about as I don't really do sports except for hockey, and I thought it would be the same but I'm lost.

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments no problem. Let's do it step by step. I can walk you through it. Are you able give me a call? I'm at my desk for the next 2 hours. If you are able to open the spreadsheet and then call me, I will walk you through it and explain. My office number is (401) 273-7100 Ext 6295

message 39: by Jen (last edited Mar 15, 2016 10:09AM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments annapi wrote: "Jen, I am totally in the dark about how to do this. I tried selecting books by copy/pasting from one field to the other, but it doesn't seem to work. Help? This bracket business I am also clueless ..."

oops, see my message above. I meant to put it as a reply but instead just put a comment.

The issue may be that you are in the wrong tab. Go to the tab labeled "pool" and you should see column J labeled "your name." Change that to put your own name. Then if you click on each cell in that J column starting on row twelve and ending on row 79 you will get a pull down menu of book options. Then you select the book you think will win for each cell. If that doesn't work give me a call.

If you are on the bracket page, it won't let you edit that. Only I can edit the bracket page. That's just a visual to let you see what it looks like.

message 40: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4904 comments Thanks so much Jen!

message 41: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments If you click on that tiny little thing to the right of the place where you put your pick, the allowed books will show up and you can just click on the title of your pick.

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5631 comments I am not playing, but just wanted to comment on how to choose your teams. Many years ago in my office there was a sports pool. The VP's secretary (yes, called secretary in those days), always participated and she chose the team based on the name. Broncos vs Bears - clearly a bear would best a bronco. Cowboys vs Broncos - cowboys would obviously win. Anyway .. at the end of the season she was the winner!

message 43: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments for anyone who want to watch what is happening with the challenge, here's the link:

http://thereadersroom.org/march-madne...

You can see which books/teams have advanced and how people are doing.

I am playing but not competing for prizes so the real first place will go to the next person who follows (after myself and Dan - my husband). Although both our brackets are busted so chances are we won't be at the top of the leaderboard for much longer

message 44: by Karin (last edited Mar 31, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Jen wrote: "for anyone who want to watch what is happening with the challenge, here's the link:

You can see which books/teams have advanced and how people a..."

I am sorry that I've not been active with that. Once my prediction for winner lost in the first game in a crazy upset where the 16th seed won, I felt overwhelmed! My husband said that sort of thing happens all the time, though. Perhaps I'll try next year.

message 45: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Karin wrote: "Jen wrote: "for anyone who want to watch what is happening with the challenge, here's the link:

You can see which books/teams have advanced and ..."

no worries, hope you had fun picking out the bracket. I think we are all doing terribly. Upsets are common every year but not usually a 16 beating a 1. Bad luck.