2016 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Top Ten Great Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 15 comments I first started reading comics & graphic novels during the past two years of Hub Challenges and I'm enjoying most of them.

Ms. Marvel is a great pick since it is both kid-friendly for the younger readers and a favorite among the older teens (and adults) as well!

Awkward is really cute and perfect for upper elementary and MG readers.

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly (molly_mo) | 5 comments Mod
I totally agree about Ms. Marvel and Awkward. I also first got into comics and graphic novels by participating in the first Hub Challenge, and now I love them and am way better about finding ones I'll like and recommending them to readers. Still can't personally get into manga, though.

message 3: by Cairie (new)

Cairie | 1 comments Molly wrote: "I totally agree about Ms. Marvel and Awkward. I also first got into comics and graphic novels by participating in the first Hub Challenge, and now I love them and am way better about finding ones I..." If you want to get into manga, I recommend Fullmetal Alchemist. It starts off a little slow and feels like it's for younger kids but the story builds and is amazzziinngg.

message 4: by Sionna (new)

Sionna (simplystrange) I LOVED Nimona and I'm so glad it was on the list. I'm not too used to graphic novels (although I'm an avid reader of manga) so, I'm glad this challenge has some on it for me to try.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 15 comments I just finished Trashed by Derf Backderf. I thought it was interesting and informative; learned a lot about waste removal in the US. Unfortunately, due to the language and humor, I wouldn't recommend this book to most upper elementary or younger middle school students, even though I think they'd otherwise find it interesting. The humor/language is more appropriate for 8th grade up.

message 6: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) I agree with Molly. I enjoy graphic novels, but I'm definitely not a manga fan. Most of my middle school patrons are, though, and they fly through everything we have on the shelves.

Trashed was also interesting. It fits in well with Backderf's style as seen in his biography of Jeffrey Dahmer - also a creepy read and probably best left to high school students.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Lopez (jennaray) | 5 comments Cindy wrote: "I just finished Trashed by Derf Backderf. I thought it was interesting and informative; learned a lot about waste removal in the US. Unfortunately, due to the language and humor, I wouldn't recomme..."

Trashed is in our adult graphic novel section in our county library system. I enjoyed the education about trash in the U.S. and thought the characters were funny. It is interesting to see how the character develops and lastly has to watch the new rookies suffer the same virgin nose fate he endured.

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Lopez (jennaray) | 5 comments I also really enjoyed Drowned City. It takes a realistic look at the events surround Katrina and is heartbreaking. We had family who were able to flee, but so many others stayed and lost their lives. This is one I want to own.

message 9: by Kyna (new)

Kyna | 1 comments my heart is broken from Reading Drowned City. It's a sobering reminder of the devastation that was hurricane Katrina.

message 10: by Jmrunninglib (new)

Jmrunninglib | 7 comments I'm not a big graphic novel reader, but I always enjoy the books on this list. So far I have only finished Nimona, but several others are on the short "to read" list. Nimona was ok. I thought the art work was fantastic, but for me the story line didn't hold my interest. I've had it in my library for a couple of months and only had 1 checkout. This makes me wonder what the students think of it.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments I read both Nimona and Drowned City recently. I love Nimona and the exploration of those with superpowers. Drowned City was a well developed portrayal of the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. I hadn't realized that people were prevented from escaping into adjacent communities! How horrible!!!

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments My 25th book was Unbeatable Squirrel Girl... ugh. I know it's a Marvel book, but I was not a fan of the ripped off plot and the reappearance of the usual Marvel characters with Squirrel Girl. I know, I know, sacrilege...

message 13: by Stephany (new)

Stephany (newsysteph) | 7 comments Julie wrote: "My 25th book was Unbeatable Squirrel Girl... ugh. I know it's a Marvel book, but I was not a fan of the ripped off plot and the reappearance of the usual Marvel characters with Squirrel Girl. I kno..."

Ripped off plot? I loved the cameos. Did you read the special comic at the end of her first appearance in comics? She's always been a Marvel character, she's just now getting her own comic.