Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > June 2014 Media Tie Ins

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sweetp-1 (last edited Apr 29, 2014 03:43PM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Being super organised and starting a June thread now to give people lots of time to plan.

June is "media tie-in" month. This month we will be reading/watching books that have been made into movies, movies that have been made into books, books of TV programmes and anything else that fits this kind of crossover theme.

Like we did with March/audio book use this thread to discuss and plan and on June 1 I will move it to the Group Reads folder.
Also like March, there won't be a vote/chosen book but rather we will all be able to choose our own reads/watches that fit the theme.

In keeping with the NZ theme though I propose a points system for this month:

2 points if you read the book
1 point if you watch the movie/TV show
Double your points if the author is a NZer (or the movie director e.g The Hobbit would count as a double pointer)

**rules = any book that has been made into TV/movie is eligible. You dont HAVE to watch as well, but if you do, you must also "watch" during June (so this will mostly rely on either new releases or obtaining DVD etc copies or purchasing online). For a TV show to count you must watch at least 2 episodes.**

Participating:
sweetp-1

message 2: by Sweetp-1 (last edited May 01, 2014 11:02PM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Some NZ books that would fit:
Mr Pip Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones
In my fathers den In My Father's Den by Maurice Gee
Once were Warriors Once Were Warriors by Alan Duff
The Piano The Piano by Jane Campion
Whale Rider The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera
Under the mountain Under the Mountain by Maurice Gee
An Angel at my Table An Angel at my Table (Autobiography, #2) by Janet Frame
The Vintners Luck The Vintner's Luck (Vintner's Luck, #1) by Elizabeth Knox
Maddigans Quest/Maddigans Fantasia
Maddigan's Fantasia by Margaret Mahy
The Fire Raiser
The Fire Raiser by Maurice Gee
The Cleaner The Cleaner A Thriller by Paul Cleave

message 3: by Sweetp-1 (last edited Apr 29, 2014 03:44PM) (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Some ideas for movies made into books (as with all the listopia lists on GR, these are user collated so please check yourself for accuracy)

Movie Tie in Novelizations
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
The Book was better than the movie
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...
Best book to movie interpretation
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
Movie was better than the book
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
I only watched the movie
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

As far as TV shows go; Dr Who, Dexter, Torchwood, Star Trek, Buffy, Southern Vampire Mysteries (True Blood) and many others have companion novels - either stand alone or the original books that the shows are based on.

Many many "classic" novels have been made into movies or dramatizations, often multiple times - e.g Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations

Many childrens novels have been made into movies e.g Harry Potter, Narnia, Roald Dahl, Bridge to Terabithia, Percy Jackson, Charlotte's Web etc etc

New(ish) releases/Coming soon:
Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Divergent, Fault in our stars, Maze Runner, City of Bones (if you are a fan of Young Adult fiction you should find this month very easy)
The Hobbit (one point for each 'part' watched)
Labor Day
The Book Thief
Enders Game
Great Gatsby

message 4: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Was it Fireraiser with Jon Trimmer as the 80s TV series?

And what was that lovely '80s TV series for children set at the hot springs with the volcano and visiting Americans?

Weren't both from books?

message 5: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments This one? The Fire Raiser

Not sure what the 2nd one is sorry.

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments P.d.r. wrote: "Was it Fireraiser with Jon Trimmer as the 80s TV series?

And what was that lovely '80s TV series for children set at the hot springs with the volcano and visiting Americans?

Weren't both from books?"

Visiting Brits?? Children of Fire Mountain? Kids kept getting into scrapes where the English visitors were concerned. There's a volcanic eruption and kids turn out heroes somehow.

All very vague I know, but just had another birthday and you know how that works ... :)

message 7: by P.D.R. (last edited Apr 30, 2014 01:20AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Yes! Children of Fire Mountain. Weren't they American? Tut! My memory. It was a smashing serial. I think one can buy it now as a DVD. I'd like to find it for my grandson in the wilds of Canada!

And yes, Maurice Gee it was Sweetp. Thank you. Great book. My kids loved it and the TV series.

message 8: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Nothing is coming up for Children of the Fire Mountain so if it was based on a book it msut be called something else. If you get me a link I will add it to the list.

message 9: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Darn! You are asking me to remember? Don't think I can. I will see if the library still have the video or DVD! Can't remember what that was either. Anyway it might say. Sincere sorrow at my inefficiency.

I blame all this living in 1862 and 1872. I jump when the phone rings!

message 10: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Oh, you clever person you! Thank you, Deidre. Bother! I wish it was a book. My grandson would love it.

message 11: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Deidre (cotton candy girl) wrote: "Two books I found recently were
The Cleaner: A Thriller and
An Angel at my Table."

Angel is already listed in post 2 :)
The Cleaner - has it been made into a movie/series? I can't see any mention anywhere?

message 12: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Deidre (cotton candy girl) wrote: "I know. There are quite a few books, some non Kiwi, that I would love to be made into a movie."

And so modest too. :) :) !!

message 13: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments What is everyone planning on reading for June?

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I'm keen to watch a few movies, as I'm a book-before-movie sort of person.
I read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe not so long ago, so keen to watch that.
Also Divergent and Mister Pip. Would be cool to view some classics too. To Kill a Mockingbird and Jane Eyre maybe?

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1467 comments Angie wrote: "I'm keen to watch a few movies, as I'm a book-before-movie sort of person.
I read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe not so long ago, so keen to watch that.
Also Divergent and Mister Pip..."

I nearly tried to get Fried Green Tomatoes for the "colour" read last month, but left it too late, so thanks for the reminder - I might try again for June. I saw the movie years ago and loved it. There was one very, very funny part in the carpark (you'll know what I'm talking about if the scene was in the book ... it comes back to me every now and then when I see somebody in a carpark behaving like a jerk).

message 16: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments The carpark scene was priceless, loved that movie!

In my Fathers Den is an amazing movie, would highly recommend it. Very dark but so well done, quite haunting - years since i have watched but I remember just about every scene.
Matthew McFadygen is the lead, he is such a great actor. I might have to read/watch Pride&Prejudice now you have me thinking about him :)

message 17: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1467 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "In my Fathers Den is an amazing movie, would highly recommend it. Very dark but so well done, quite haunting - years since i have watched but I r..."

I've requested it from the library!

message 18: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Im listening to The Night Watch at the moment which fits here. I watched part of the movie years ago, would love to track down a copy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Wa...

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1467 comments Sweetp-1 wrote: "Im listening to The Night Watch at the moment which fits here. I watched part of the movie years ago, would love to track down a copy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Wa..."

Auckland Libraries have a copy of the movie. You could get your library to get it as an Inter-Loan ....

message 20: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 579 comments Mod
I feel a Lord of The Rings marathon coming on!
Haven't read the books or seen the films but watching is faster & I have the house to myself this weekend. First stop, videoshop!

message 21: by P.D.R. (last edited Jun 05, 2014 06:12PM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Thanks to my WWOOFers I've already re-read and watched the BBC series of Jane Eyre and Pride and Predjudice. Had two English Grads from Germany so we really enjoyed the films of the classics as they had studied them in school. We watched book in hand, stopping to check up. Great fun. Nice to teach again.

Lord of the Rings coming up, I reread that last month but this lot of WWOOFer haven't seen the films. So that's this weekend covered.

message 22: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Watched Desolation of Smaug again over the weekend. Actually we watched it a few times :) I'm going to give the book a go.

message 23: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments The Hobbit is better than the films which rather wander off topic!

message 24: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Szymanik (writermel) | 158 comments The book is small and perfectly formed - one movie would have been the way to go

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1467 comments Melinda wrote: "The book is small and perfectly formed - one movie would have been the way to go"

Yes - but Jackson does epic movies so well! Loved the book (several times reading it aloud as well) and of course The Lord of the Rings (ditto), but I also love all the movies.

message 26: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Kids watching LOTR 1 and 2 over the weekend. I do love a good saga.

message 27: by Sharlene (new)

Are we using this thread to share what we've read/watched this month?

message 28: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Szymanik (writermel) | 158 comments Ooo, yes. I saw The Fault in Our Stars on the weekend. Have read the book, but not this month. And have just read Under the Mountain by Maurice Gee, but haven't seen the movie yet - I have time.

message 29: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments I watched The Butler on the weekend. I was amazed that a 96 page book gave rise to this movie. I haven't read the book and don't think I will bother.

message 30: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Yep Sharlene, I have moved it to the Group Reads folder.

message 31: by Sharlene (last edited Jun 23, 2014 10:06PM) (new)

Sharlene June Media-tie ins

+1 watched City of Bones City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
+1 watched 2 eps of The Originals, spinoff of The Vampire Diaries (The Vampire Diaries, #1-4) by L.J. Smith also stars Daniel Gillies, a NZ actor.
+1 watched 2 eps of The Vampire Diaries

Point System(view spoiler)

message 32: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Have just finished watching Fried Green Tomatoes. It was brilliant.

message 33: by P.D.R. (last edited Jun 14, 2014 11:49PM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Am I allowed the BBC five part Jane Eyre? I've just finished watching that again. It really is a wonderful interpretation of the novel, true to the author and the best Rochester and Jane combination I've seen. Beats that appalling Hollywood film which came out a couple of yers ago.

message 34: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Yes TV is fine too. I havent seen that JE, will keep an eye out.
I have watched the LOTR movies and Catching Fire. Plodding along with my audio book but having a slow reading month over all.

message 35: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Thank you. Life just so depressing at the moment that books are a godsend escape. Mud up to my ears and the council won't budge about replace the too small culvert which causes the floods up my driveway.

message 36: by Jane (new)

Jane I'm cheating here, but I've just seen the two faces of January, based on the Patricia Highsmith novel. Definitely recommended - Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst.

message 37: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments I've just watched Philomena. A very good film. Dame Judy Dench is such a wonderful actress, was the perfect Philomena playing the part so convincingly - as usual. I will read the book, The Lost Child of Philomena Lee: A Mother, Her Son and a 50 Year Search when my turn comes up on the reserve list. Not expecting it much before Christmas though.

message 38: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Anyone else watching The White Queen (prime, wed? nights). Based on the Philipa Gregory book about the War of the Roses, particulalry Elizabeth Woodville and King Edward (parents of the princes in the tower). If we do a group read for Sharon Penmans's welsh princes book I might have to sneak a reread of Sunne in Splendour in too :)

message 39: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Yes, Philomena made me cry. A really good film. The book is good too.

message 40: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments P.d.r. wrote: "Yes, Philomena made me cry. A really good film. The book is good too."

That's good to know because I've been looking forward to reading it. Don't you think Judy Dench was so good in the role of Philomena?
Just last month I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel for the second time in which she played a completely different role and fit it just as perfectly. That film had a cast full of old wonderfuls - Maggie Smith (right up there with Judy Dench IMO), Penelope Wilton, Ronald Pickup, Celia Imrie, Bill Nighy, Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire). Well worth watching too. It's also a book written by Deborah Moggach, although I have to confess I've not read it.

message 41: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Have just requested The Pillars of the Earth series on DVD from my library. Plan to tackle it during the school holidays.

message 42: by Erica (new)

Erica | 852 comments Mod
That's a good idea Angie. I've read the books but haven't seen the series. Let me know what you think :)

message 43: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments I thought TV series of PoE was a little better than World Without End, but I very much enjoyed both and the books. I think my problem with WWE was some of the main characters from PoE were not a big part of it, so it didn't come across as following on where the people were concerned, but more about the time and location.

message 44: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Ive read PoE and WWE, agree I think PoE was better (but then I think it was a better book too). Books are WAY more graphic.
Follets WW1 books are also good reads.

message 45: by P.D.R. (last edited Jun 22, 2014 02:26AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Yes, Enjoyed Best Exoric etc. Saw it on TV last week for the second time and marvelled at the quality acting and snorted at the Listener review which called it sugary and for the oldies! Have the book on order.

Good actors can't make a film good but when you have a good script, good actors and sensible direction you get something worth watching. I always though Tom Stoppard's intervention in the Shakespeare in Love script made it the film it was, that and the director who was not the Holyywood pet the backers wanted but had a much better understanding of the script

message 46: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments P.d.r. wrote: "Yes, Enjoyed Best Exoric etc. Saw it on TV last week for the second time and marvelled at the quality acting and snorted at the Listener review which called it sugary and for the oldies! Have the b..."

Yes, even he best actors can't pull it off if script and direction aren't up to scratch.

Another lovely film about golden years and that has a cast of older accomplished actors, including Maggie Smith & a surprisingly talented Billy Connolly, is Quartet. Set in an old folks home for has been performers, it is a very amusing comedy/drama. I don't usually laugh aloud in a theatre, but I did when I saw this film - along with everyone else.

message 47: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments I've been trying to watch Quartet for ages but can't get a copy!

message 48: by Kathleen (last edited Jul 01, 2014 01:59PM) (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1467 comments I've now watched 3 programmes in the Maddigan's Quest series, so that gives me 2 points to add. And the book for In My Father's Den has arrived at the library, so I've a good chance of getting it read before the end of the month.

Running total:
Maddigan's Quest - book & TV series = 6 points
In My Father's Den - movie = 2 points + book (4) = 6 points

message 49: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Look forward to seeing what you think of In my Fathers Den, Kathleen. :)

message 50: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1467 comments I've only read a few pages this morning on the way to work, and I noticed on the bus home that I'd left it there! It grabbed hold of me straightaway - I really wish I'd brought it home so I could read tonight.

The movie is SO different.

« previous 1