The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion


410 views
Augustus Waters......UGH

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maximilian Did anyone else not enjoy Augustus at all? For just a minute, forget the fact that he has cancer, and forget the fact that he "romantically" came out of no where and told Hazel that she was beautiful. As a person, was he all that great? I mean he had flaws,as does everyone else, but still. He just seemed really pretentious (which is supposed to be his character flaw but I felt that it was overdone) and annoying. And who talks like him? He sounded way too poetic to be a modern teenager, in my opinion. But please prove me wrong, tell me what you think about Augustus. You just might change my opinion.


Tanya i thought he did sound too poetic when he talked. also he said hazel`s last name too much. i found that kind of annoying.


Erica I agree that he was a bit different than most teenagers. With all the last name stuff and poetic, wise talking. However I enjoyed his character. It's nice to see a unique character like Augustus, but I do see your point.


message 4: by Haley ~Queen of Randomness~ keep up if you can... (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haley ~Queen of Randomness~ keep up if you can... I think that's why I liked Gus because he was slightly out of the norm, but I think John Green did that on purpose as a character choice. Like how Gus was always trying to save innocent people in video games, called Hazel by her first and middle name, and even how he chose to help Isaac egg his ex's car. That was my favorite part;)
Augustus was afraid of the unknown and becoming forgotten if he died, so Gus's slight abnormal behavior was a way of leaving his fingerprint behind on the world. He was remembered for his little quirks that made him unique not what makes him normal.


Rachel Paige  Hamlin I hated him. Everything he said felt cheesy and planned. He had a lot of poetic monologues and no teenager comes up with those on the fly.


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel wrote: "I hated him. Everything he said felt cheesy and planned. He had a lot of poetic monologues and no teenager comes up with those on the fly."
This.


Marcus Gilfert I'll disagree. I've met people that always seem to be able to say just what I'd wish I'd said. I agree with Haley - he was spending his days focused on standing out. I believe he focused on Hazel Grace (not noticed, that was because of the resemblence to his ex) so much because he found in her someone who took things seriously (because of the book exchange). She was someone he could impact and so he spent every effort on providing those impact moments.


Abinaya I totally like him! Does teenage have any definition? Who said that a teenager shouldn't be poetic? He was out of the box, out of all odds, and maybe too good to get viewed by some of the criticizers...


Mochaspresso I liked the way he treated hazel and his friend Isaac. That was the aspect of his his character that I appreciated more. I didn't mind the pretentiousness flaw.


message 10: by Michael (last edited May 01, 2014 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael I liked him a lot, his good attributes, outshined his flaws.


Kenzi Most teenagers have no appreciation for the finer things in life and all they care about is high school drama and what's popular.
I however don't care about these things and I admired him as a character. Most teenagers need to grow up


Kayla I don't know a person alive who enjoys reading about teenagers behaving like teenagers. Let's not generalize an entire group of people, eh? By saying "Most teenagers aren't like that!!" you're presuming to know most teenagers and are also discounting those who are ahead of their years. In short, I liked Augustus.


Siobhan I understand what people are saying about Augustus wanting to make an impact … but I can't be the only person who finds it disjointed that he claims to want that then does nothing to make a difference? He doesn't fundraise, or do big projects in remission like skydiving or whatever, he doesn't sell his story to those magazines that thrive on real life stories … he buys cigarettes and poses with them, and tries to be witty for an audience of two. He's all mouth, no action. So annoying.


Kenzi Siobhan wrote: "I understand what people are saying about Augustus wanting to make an impact … but I can't be the only person who finds it disjointed that he claims to want that then does nothing to make a differe..."

Now at least you have a good reason!


Daniela Florez Oh no. You cannot put aside the fact that he had cancer, I mean he was not defined by his disease but he was shaped by it. He was not an ordinary teenager and when you meet kids that have struggled with things most people haven't, they tend to build an out of the ordinary personality. Was he or did he sounded pretentious? I can only think of real life boys flirting, omg that's pretentious, for me he was charming and real, he knew he was good-looking and he knew what he wanted. Also I have to tell you that I loved the way he told Hazel she was beautiful, you see, a normal ordinary thing would have been to think she was beautiful but keep it to himself, maybe start with a meaningless but charming chitchat that would lead to a thing and then to another to finally say what he’s been thinking cause saying right away would be kind of creepy, I get that, but it was not like he came out of nowhere and besides that just puts more sense into what he says later, he is not in the business of denying himself the simple pleasure of saying true things, I get that you might think that is way too much for a person but it's the main character of a bestselling book, of course it has to be more than the usual.


Crystal Diaz Kenzi wrote: "Most teenagers have no appreciation for the finer things in life and all they care about is high school drama and what's popular.
I however don't care about these things and I admired him as a cha..."

I agree with this. Most guys can be poetic and sweet just like Gus, you shouldn't quickly judge that they aren't any


Shadowhunter Clary I actually wrote on another TFIOS post about my views on Augustus Waters I don't like his character at all in my opinion the supposedly "beautiful" metaphor with the cigarette seems like a way for Augustus to be an ass or a jerk about the fact Hazel has lung cancer I found it a bit sick really I don't see why people call it beautiful.


Lauren I think Gus was meant to be that. He was mature for his age, he had freaking cancer. He had no choice but to grow up and accept things like death. he was pretentious but that was his character.


Crystal Diaz the whole metaphor thing annoyed me as well. i posted that in another TFIOS thread too


Faith Lauren wrote: "I think Gus was meant to be that. He was mature for his age, he had freaking cancer. He had no choice but to grow up and accept things like death. he was pretentious but that was his character."

I loved Augustus Waters! I agreed with everything you said.


Steph Campbell I like Gus. He was pretentious and annoying but out of all that he was positive. I think my real problem with Gus is the fact that literally everything he says in this book has been taken completley out of context and pasted all over the internet. Forgetting all the prententios stuff though, the one thing that really stood out for me in this book and one of the lines that really stuck in my mind was 'It's a good life, Hazel Grace.' I think reading that was when I realised what a great character he was.


message 22: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Just a typical teenager. I don't know why people keep saying he was mature and eloquent.. Teenagers on Goodreads are at least as mature and eloquent even if they do have equally bad taste in books.


Charlotte Abinaya wrote: "I totally like him! Does teenage have any definition? Who said that a teenager shouldn't be poetic? He was out of the box, out of all odds, and maybe too good to get viewed by some of the criticize..."

I agree with you! Teenage doesn't have any definition. It's obviously just what he likes and it's his personality.


message 24: by Sabreen (last edited May 03, 2014 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sabreen I liked him at first, but as I kept reading, I realized that he was too much. He's too perfect. He's beautiful, kind, funny, and just the right amount of sarcastic for Hazel's taste.

I hate the way he talks.No one in the world is that insightful and well-spoken, all the time, every day. The way he talks sounds exactly like Hazel Grace, just with a little more drama.


Marilyn I am amazed at how many people severely criticized Augustus or said they hated him, but still gave the book five stars. He was awful, but no worse than Hazel or the rest of the book.


Sabreen Marilyn wrote: "I am amazed at how many people severely criticized Augustus or said they hated him, but still gave the book five stars. He was awful, but no worse than Hazel or the rest of the book."

At least you can sympathize with Hazel. Augustus is the kind of character who makes your eyes glaze over when he speaks. But yeah, agreed, the book was pretty awful.


back to top