Rams Readers Spring 2014 discussion

Personal Choice: The Maze Runner

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 39 comments I have had this book for a while, I purchased it because I just loved Hunger Games and this was a similar premise. However, I did not LOVE this as much as Hunger Games. I think my expectations for the novel were a little above what it actually was. It was really hard for me to get into in the beginning. It started off highly confusing, but soon took a turn for the exciting and left me hanging with so many unanswered questions; by the middle of the book questions finally get answered. However, it is a thrilling read. Thomas the main character finds himself in the maze, and has no memory of how he got there. He cannot get anyone to answer his questions about why, how or what. As the story goes we are introduced to more characters, and get a better idea of what the Glade really is. There are rules and order in the glade; 1. Never threaten your fellow Gladers, 2. Everyone must pull their weight, 3. No one is allowed in the Maze aside from runners, 4. No one is allowed in the Maze after dark. As time goes on we are introduced to the deadly grievers, that are slug like creatures. After many predictable deaths, and a little bit of romance, and a lot a bit of testosterone I think this book is good, but definitely not my favorite. I would recommend this book to my sci-fi lovers and adolescent boys, I think that they would really enjoy this novel. But I don't think I will be reading the sequel :/ If I used this book in the classroom I would use in in a literature circle, or book club type activity. Another idea would be to have students make predictions throughout the story, and even make up their own ending.

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Possin | 55 comments I thought if was almost a sci-fi Lord of the Flies. I like this trilogy but like you found the beginning a bit slow. It is hard to understand what is happening when the main character has no clue either and you are left to discover the truth with him. The second one (as I find true of most trilogies) is the best one in my opinion.

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 39 comments I can see your lord of the flies relation.... I am glad I pushed through it, and I may try to push through the second one since you said it is better.