The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Challenges > Nancy's UN International Mystery Challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 29, 2014 01:48PM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8596 comments Mod
Today I finished The Son, by Jo Nesbo, set entirely in Norway. 4.5 stars.

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

May 6: finished The Case of the Sharaku Murders, by Katsuhiko Takahashi. Japanese author, and the action takes place in Japan. It's a modern-day mystery about murders in the academic and art world. 4 stars (but probably not of much interest to anyone who isn't into Japanese art history -- I'm a geek so I love this stuff).

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 558 comments Thanks for the update. For me, Japan is done with Rain FallBarry Eisler. Read about three of the series about a modern day hit-man. I have reviews posted. Have not done Norway.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

From France: The Cemetery of Swallows, by Mallock.

message 5: by Carmen (new)

Carmen Amato (authorcarmenamato) | 48 comments Brazil can be covered by any mystery by Leighton Gage. His Inspector Silva series is very noir and complex.

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carmen wrote: "Brazil can be covered by any mystery by Leighton Gage. His Inspector Silva series is very noir and complex."

Thanks for the recommend, but I've got Brazil covered with Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza and The Silence of the Rain.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Algeria is accounted for with Morituri, by Yasmina Khadra. A bit difficult in the reading, but a lot creepy in its modern-day implications.

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 558 comments Mortituri is on my list. Though I have to put in a special request via my library to get it.

message 9: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Wendy wrote: "Mortituri is on my list. Though I have to put in a special request via my library to get it."

It's kind of odd in the translation, but worth it in the long run.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 20, 2014 04:36PM) (new)

Algeria
France
Japan
Northern Ireland
Norway
Spain
Austria

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I was supposed to be reading in Brazil, but got caught up in Northern Ireland with Adrian McKinty's The Cold Cold Ground: A Detective Sean Duffy Novel. Recommended.

message 13: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Austria complete with Resurrection, by Wolf Haas. I have all of the translated/published books by Haas, but I need to move on to another country before I return to his work.

message 14: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 558 comments Nancy, any way we can revitalize this thread? Or move up the Group Challenges to it is more eye-catching?