Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Apr 2014: Daughter of the Forest > Cruelty to Animals

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (last edited Apr 29, 2014 01:10PM) (new)

Gary I remember listening to the commentary on the DVD for Starship Troopers (because I'm that kind of nerdy) and one moment stuck with me:

During the scene when they are showing the devastation of Buenos Aires after the Bug attack by meteor/bombing, there's a shot of a (fake) dead dog under the rubble. According to the commentary, that was something of a controversy. Audiences didn't like it. Show dead and dismembered humans... no problem. A dead dog? Gasps.

Cruelty towards an animal does seem to get people emotional more easily than cruelty towards humans, even sometimes children.

Any thoughts on why that might be?

message 2: by Gina (new)

Gina Briganti | 78 comments Excellent question, Gary. Maybe it has something to do with the unconditional love of animals?

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Animals are nicer than people.

message 4: by Candice (new)

Candice Nunu (nunu_noodles) Animals are innocent in every decision we make on such a large scale, so I imagine to a lot of people it would be the epitome of undeserved, unwarranted, and tragic murder of a beautiful life.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 128 comments Animals (pets/livestock) are the ultimate innocents - they have absolutely no choice about being in the line of fire, they have no vested interests in the conflict, they can't fight back, no one even really worries about them in the middle of a battle.

Also, many people who aren't farmers/ranchers put all kinds of sentimental human-type personas onto their pets and maybe are a bit over-the-top when it comes to dead animals. Also violence toward humans is so prevalent now, we're all careless about it.

I'm not very affected by dead animals in general (good thing because here in Florida I see all kinds of roadkill on a daily basis), and especially fictional ones don't bother me more than a dead person.

Cruelty to animals is a terrible thing, I hate it. But cruelty to people is much worse to my mind. And reading/watching fictional cruelty to either is something I can deal with.

I must admit I was a little surprised by the thread about animal abuse in this month's picks. Why could those people read the human abuse parts and then get all wrecked about the dogs? I guess I just can't relate.

And yes, I'm a pet owner, have been since I got my first kitten at age 10, have dragged them all across the country with me, paid ridiculous vet bills, bought them too many mousies/chewtoys/fancy collars and given them turkey on Thanksgiving and catnip/bones on Christmas, and cried when they died.

** Sorry, I got sidetracked.**

Maybe its because we can imagine they love us unconditionally and we can smother them with attention that would drive another human crazy and believe they will never hurt us or betray us.