Mental Health Fiction discussion

Rowan's Well
This topic is about Rowan's Well
Is all fiction mental health fiction?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.J. (new) - added it

C.J. Harter (cjharter) | 2 comments Hi, I came across you guys because people are telling me my novel "Rowan's Well" has a lot to say about mental health so I wanted to find other fiction doing a similar thing. Is mental health fiction is a meaningful phrase? Isn't all fiction to do with being human and therefore ultimately about our mental health? I'd love to know your thoughts on this.

message 2: by J. (new)

J. (jcassidy) | 3 comments I think some fiction is just fiction. Anything beyond that is just more labelling, I don't think I could say mental health fiction is meaningful any more than romance or crime. It totally depends on what you need as a reader. If you need validation with your own issues then yes, it is meaningful. If not, then no. Romance may hold more meaning. Sorry, I'm not good at saying that I think. Basically, meaning depends on the reader.

If you didn't write a book about mental health then it could be surprising to know that's what people have read into it. I never wrote a romance and yet I'm told it is.

I've not read your book so I couldn't give my own opinion on whether or not I'd consider it a mental health fiction.

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (Cathypoo) | 2 comments Mine is a romance but it is dark because the male is a psychopath, so I think I just about qualify :)

message 4: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (jeremybronaugh) | 3 comments For me, the labels we throw on books help identify the thematic focus. For instance, a book can be set in the south without being about the south.

I need a character that is a little fucked up to really get into a book, so I gravitate toward books about mental health because they have interesting characters.

message 5: by J. (new)

J. (jcassidy) | 3 comments Jeremy wrote: "For me, the labels we throw on books help identify the thematic focus. For instance, a book can be set in the south without being about the south.

I need a character that is a little fucked up to ..."

You'll like both mine and Catherine's, in that case.

message 6: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (jeremybronaugh) | 3 comments I'd love to read them, then. Book swap?

message 7: by J. (new)

J. (jcassidy) | 3 comments I'd love to, When you Bleed to Death looks very good. I can't promise a quick read, though. It'll be around a month

message 8: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (jeremybronaugh) | 3 comments Deal. Same here. Do you want to trade physical or ebooks? Message me a contact method for either and I'll send you one.

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (Cathypoo) | 2 comments I'll trade swaps. Mine is not fiction until half way through when, instead of the heroine sensibly walking away, all hell breaks loose.