Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Tara Holloway (Death, Taxes, and a Manicure) - Diane Kelly

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
May

Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (Tara Holloway, #1) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure

Here's where to discuss the book.

Death, Taxes, and a Skinny No-Whip Latte (Tara Holloway, #2) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray (Tara Holloway, #3) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and a Sequined Clutch (Tara Holloway, #3.5) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Peach Sangria (Tara Holloway, #4) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers (Tara Holloway, #5) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Green Tea Ice Cream (Tara Holloway, #6) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Mistletoe Mayhem (Tara Holloway, #6.5) by Diane Kelly Death, Taxes, and Silver Spurs (Tara Holloway, #7) by Diane Kelly

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments This series is tons of fun. I have Green Tea Ice Cream in The Pile and plan to dig it out to read next month!

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Another series I'm current on - Green Tea Ice Cream was good and I'm really looking forward to Silver Spurs release!

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) | 13 comments I've had this book on my shelves forever. Perfect opportunity for me to start this series.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) | 13 comments I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm at the point of no return in the story where I want to know the outcome of the investigations with Brett. I could care less about Joe and his ice cream truck. As soon as a mullet was mentioned I knew he would be a goner.

message 6: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 100 comments Saw this at Barnes and Nobles and put it on my to read list, going to see if I can find this book at the library. Looks like a good book.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) One of us should probably mention this is also an edgier cozy. I think there might be language (I can't remember, I don't pay attention to language) and there're definitely sexual situations.

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) | 13 comments Yes, yes it is!

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) | 13 comments I just finished and I really like this! One of those, "why did I wait so long to start this?" books. I wasn't put off by the IRS stuff. It was new to me as a "cozy" topic so it was interesting.
I'm looking forward to reading the next book to see what happens next and to see what's going on with the characters.

message 10: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
I gave up on the book. I kept hoping to see the tomboy, not the Tara so caught up in fashion and her car. I've never been into clothes and shoes, and I've realized I don't care for books that dwell on them. Also, Tara and Christine came across as real bimbos when getting ready for their sting operation, they got into their parts a little too much, and were more slutty than sexy. I found them insulting and demeaning, and that was as far as I got in the book. I'm glad ya'll enjoyed it, but it's not for me.

message 11: by Melodie (last edited May 08, 2014 08:52AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I gave up on the book. I kept hoping to see the tomboy, not the Tara so caught up in fashion and her car. I've never been into clothes and shoes, and I've realized I don't care for books that dwe..."

If we all liked the same books lots of authors would be out of work! I don't remember her being a clotheshorse, but it's been awhile since I read the first one. Lots of fashion talk turns me off, too. But you missed the best parts! :-)

message 12: by Jaxie (new)

Jaxie (jax53) | 76 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I gave up on the book. I kept hoping to see the tomboy, not the Tara so caught up in fashion and her car. I've never been into clothes and shoes, and I've realized I don't care for books that dwe..."

I agree with you in so many aspects, jaxnsmom. It didnt bode well from the beginning when i ordered the title and it came from the romance section, i read it without any prejudice and Tara as a character is actually not bad (it reminds me of a more flighty version of Abby Cooper, whom i love as a character). But it seems the author concentrate more in giving us 'up close' shots of Christina and Tara's lady bumps than of their personality. The story as a whole isnt too bad either , a little too sexist for my taste. The plot was a bit weak . I just finished it tonight although i knew how this was going to end. I usually love a twist in the end even if it's a little one. I dont think I'm going to read the rest of the series. I do like fashion but not to the extent of getting manicures 3x a week or the ruin of a manicure being the highlight of my day. I was hoping more for a stronger female character.
I am sure some of my reads make my friends roll their eyes too but this book was even too much for my already light choices.