Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Sophie Katz (Sex, Murder and a Double Latte) - Kyra Davis

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2408 comments Mod
May

Sex, Murder And A Double Latte (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #1) by Kyra Davis Sex, Murder And A Double Latte

Here's where to discuss the book.

Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #2) by Kyra Davis Obsession, Deceit, and Really Dark Chocolate (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #3) by Kyra Davis Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #4) by Kyra Davis Vows, Vendettas and a Little Black Dress (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #5) by Kyra Davis Vanity, Vengeance And A Weekend In Vegas (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #6) by Kyra Davis

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments Looking forward to this as the series has been highly recommended to me by 2 book friends whose opinions I trust!

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I've enjoyed all the books in this series - highly entertaining!

If you're a reader who prefers their cozies to adhere to a stricter definition of "cozy", please be aware that there is some language and there are sexual themes throughout all the books.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) | 13 comments So is this a cozy on the edge? If so, WOO HOO!!!

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Kimberly wrote: "So is this a cozy on the edge? If so, WOO HOO!!!"

Yes, yes it is! lol

message 6: by Nell (last edited May 02, 2014 06:48AM) (new)

Nell | 2606 comments Mod
I've pulled this one off the shelf and dusted it off ;-) Been meaning to read it for a while so this was the nudge I needed. It will be my next mystery after I finish Grounds for Murder from last month.

message 7: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 100 comments I read this book and I am not going to read this book again. Not one of my favorites.

message 8: by Mahoghani 23 (new)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Marianne wrote: "I read this book and I am not going to read this book again. Not one of my favorites."

What is it about the book you didn't like?

message 9: by Mahoghani 23 (new)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) I'm done....on to the next one

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) | 13 comments I finished this and I'm still up in the air about it...

message 11: by Mahoghani 23 (new)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Kimberly wrote: "I finished this and I'm still up in the air about it..."

This book was funny and a page turner.

message 12: by Shirley (last edited May 13, 2014 07:07PM) (new)

Shirley (grandmothergoose) | 47 comments I just finished and enjoyed the book, since it somehow seemed like such a departure (a little more sexy) from what I have been reading. The characters were fun, though stereotypical, the plot was interesting, and the pacing kept me reading. Being a writer between books, the main character had a witty way with words and plenty of time to try to discover the identity of her stalker. It will be interesting to see if the Russian romantic interest stays around for the next book. Hope so!

message 13: by Mahoghani 23 (new)

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Shirley wrote: "I just finished and enjoyed the book, since it somehow seemed like such a departure (a little more sexy) from what I have been reading. The characters were fun, though stereotypical, the plot was ..."

Shirley, after what he went though with her I font blame him for being wary. They do sound like a good couple if they can get past the previous troubles.

message 14: by jaxnsmom (new)

I don't consider the book a cozy, but overall I enjoyed it. Mainly because of Sophie and Anatoly. Dena got on my nerves, and I have trouble believing the friendship with Mary Ann would have lasted that long, based on the condescending way she was usually treated. I also had trouble believing Sophie was a mystery/thriller writer. Hard to believe I enjoyed it, but I would like to read the next one.

message 15: by Randa (last edited May 14, 2014 09:32PM) (new)

Randa | 175 comments Finished.

Not one of my favorites. I really rather enjoyed Sophia, liked Marcus, felt sorry for Mary Ann and could do without Dena and James. most of the blunt language worked because I could see myself and others using the same language in certain situations. The thrown in "sex" references (short of jail scene) didn't feel as natural and thereby became almost forced feeling.

This was another book that I figured out "who dunnit" almost right away and I'm usually very easy to lead astray. So that in itself put a bit of a damper on the book.

I probably won't read another in the series but I will look for spoilers about the next books.. Ms. Davis does have somewhat of a fresh voice but I just may be a little bit older than the target audience.

***just read the "dust jackets" of the rest of the series, still don't necessarily want to read another one (although if I'm totally out of reading material book 6 is a possible maybe) but I am looking forward to dust jacket 7.

message 16: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (grandmothergoose) | 47 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I don't consider the book a cozy, but overall I enjoyed it. Mainly because of Sophie and Anatoly. Dena got on my nerves, and I have trouble believing the friendship with Mary Ann would have laste..."

I also had a bit of a hard time believing that a group with this varying degree of personalities would actually hang out together, but I guess their tolerance for one another (little as it is at times) is also what gave the story a little interest and fun. If I need a book to be more believable than enjoyable, I simply pick another type of mystery altogether.

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (grandmothergoose) | 47 comments Just finished reading the second book in the series and enjoyed it also. I think Leah and Mary Anne should be BFFs. This book brings Sofie and her Russian love interest, Anatoly, closer together as they try to prove her sister Leah is innocent of murdering her womanizing husband. The two sisters seem as different as night and day. Frankly, even for a light-hearted chick-lit, Leah gets on my nerves a bit and her poor parenting skills seem off-kilter for a woman who coveted being a wife and mother and providing her executive husband with all the material appearances of a perfect life. I think Leah and Mary Anne should be BFFs. Still, I enjoyed the book and it has all the elements I look for in a light read: fun characters, interesting plot, and a little romance.

message 18: by jaxnsmom (new)

Randa wrote: "I probably won't read another in the series but I will look for spoilers about the next books.. Ms. Davis does have somewhat of a fresh voice but I just may be a little bit older than the target audience."

I sometimes think my age is a big factor in how much I like a book. I get tired of all the young 20somethings, with their immaturity, and so many with their materialistic ways. I'm not a prude, but I get tired of having sex shoveled at me - like with Dena. I enjoy some sexiness, but prefer there be more substance to the person.

message 19: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (grandmothergoose) | 47 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I don't consider the book a cozy, but overall I enjoyed it. Mainly because of Sophie and Anatoly. Dena got on my nerves, and I have trouble believing the friendship with Mary Ann would have laste..."

I also thought that Mary Ann seemed a little out of place in this group, until I remembered that she and Dena are cousins. After reading that again, her inclusion made a little more sense to me.

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

That does help explain why Mary Ann is 'tolerated'. I had forgotten all about that.

message 21: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Gordon (ariellehgordon) | 12 comments I just finished this, and did enjoy it, although I wouldn't consider it a "cozy" by any means. The dynamics of all the personalities was interesting, and it reminded me of "Friends" in a way. I felt the profanity, although not excessive, was at times unnecessary to the story. The sex shop/talk is not my thing, wither. I loved the setting, since I used to live there.

As for the story - I totally loved it. I liked Sophie, even though she doesn't really come off as a murder mystery writer, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt since I've never known one... haha! The mystery (which I usually solve way before the end) really pulled one over on me this time. I never really considered that character, since he wasn't mentioned much after his initial introduction. As for Mary Ann, for the most part I'm not sure she is aware of people's condescension, and it seems every group has the one "dopey" friend. Dena didn't annoy me too much, she just seemed kinda trashy and desperate. And I was certainly rooting for Anatoly to be her knight in shining armour!

All the characters were fun and quirky, which I enjoy, except her mom and sister. Is it me, or does the family of these female protagonists always seem SO down on them in almost every mystery series? In all the female led mysteries I have read recently, the family is always overbearing and running over the main character.

All in all, fantastic book - I will be reading more!

message 22: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2606 comments Mod
Finished Sex, Murder And A Double Latte - it was ok. There was more that I disliked about this book than what I liked about it. So I'm done with this series.

message 23: by jaxnsmom (new)

Arielle wrote: "All the characters were fun and quirky, which I enjoy, except her mom and sister. Is it me, or does the family of these female protagonists always seem SO down on them in almost every mystery series? In all the female led mysteries I have read recently, the family is always overbearing and running over the main character."

It does seem like a lot of the cozies lately have families that are overbearing, or, just as bad, they're so worried about everything their child does, you'd think the slueth was in her teens.

message 24: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (grandmothergoose) | 47 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Arielle wrote: "All the characters were fun and quirky, which I enjoy, except her mom and sister. Is it me, or does the family of these female protagonists always seem SO down on them in almost eve..."

I agree, but I also think that most families are so diverse in personalities, to do so in a story gives the characters contrast and sometimes makes the protagonist look better. Parents seldom grow out of worrying about their children, no matter how old, and then there is always the sibling rivalry, often for the parents attention, again no matter how old. I think these diverse personalities help each reader to find the character they relate to the most.

message 25: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 665 comments I read this last year and it was ok. I had initially read later books in the series before this, the first one. I think that I am no longer or never was in the demographic for this book. I don't remember the later books clearly because I read them a long time ago but when I read this one I found Sofie, immature and annoying. I don't know if she becomes more mature as the series progresses. I probably won't be reading any more in this series.

It is also interesting that this seems to be a crossover book between chick lit/mystery and in my opinion it works better as chick lit.

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) This series has been on my TBR for a while now, so I'm glad it came up for a group read this month. I read the first in the series and enjoyed it. I'm going to give the second book a chance to see how the relationships develop.

This is definitely not a "cozy" cozy, but it didn't bother me at all.

message 27: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 6 comments Anyone else think that Sophia, Lena and Mary Ann remind you of the girls from Sex and the City? Sophia = Carrie, Lena = Samantha and Mary Ann = Charlotte?

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" wrote: "Anyone else think that Sophia, Lena and Mary Ann remind you of the girls from Sex and the City? Sophia = Carrie, Lena = Samantha and Mary Ann = Charlotte?"

Ooh nice catch! You're absolutely right. And there's even Marcus who could be Stanford :)

message 29: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 6 comments right?! I loved this book this go-round not so much the first time I read it (I didn't even remember I HAD read it until 3/4th the way through.

I will be continuing on with the series.

message 30: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 653 comments Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" wrote: "Anyone else think that Sophia, Lena and Mary Ann remind you of the girls from Sex and the City? Sophia = Carrie, Lena = Samantha and Mary Ann = Charlotte?"

I was just getting ready to start the first one this evening, but if this is so I'm going to hate it! I LOATHED Sex & the City!

message 31: by jaxnsmom (new)

I never watched Sex and the City, but you couldn't escape knowing more about it than you wanted. You're right about the similarity, maybe they're all twins separated at birth :)

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Melodie wrote: "Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" wrote: "Anyone else think that Sophia, Lena and Mary Ann remind you of the girls from Sex and the City? Sophia = Carrie, Lena = Samantha and Mary Ann = Charl..."

I didn't pick up on the similarities at all. Maybe because it was never mentioned at the time.

message 33: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 6 comments I don't feel like they are identical or anything, but I do feel like there are some very strong similarities. That said - many of the reviews thought the characters were very stereo-typical so that could be part of it. I actually thought Sophia and Carrie were the least alike out of the trio.