Podcasts > Jocko Podcast #10 - Police, Cussing, and Stress

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Jocko Discussed:
Video:

Book: With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene B. Sledge

Questions:
1. How do you balance Extreme Ownership with holding others accountable for their actions and avoiding them using you?
2. I'm entering the police academy in a few weeks and I'll be a police officer in 6 mo. I have no military background and have very little experience with true confrontation and violence. What are the best ways a police officer can condition themselves to violence and confrontation? I currently train BJJ but I am curious what else I can do to keep myself and others safe from unpredictable violence. This is not a self defense question but a mental conditioning question.
3. I have 3 little girls and I'm really intrigued by BJJ, what form of martial arts would you put your kids in?
4. How do you overcome friction as a new leader? (new company/new job)
5. How do you learn/practice detachment in real time?
6. What do you think of people in leadership roles who curse?
7. What techniques do you use to deal with situational stress from battlefield to boardroom?

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Allen The discussion about the toll of relentless mortar fire on the troops was riveting! What must the emotional and psychological impact been like....unimaginable. I felt anxious just thinking about the utter helplessness and the dread of what could, and did, happen at any moment! The waiting...

Makes my worst day look like a unicorn party: I'm humbled.

message 3: by Jocko (new)

Jocko Willink | 8 comments Unicorn party actually sounds pretty stressful to me.

message 4: by Jocko (new)

Jocko Willink | 8 comments Unicorn party actually sounds pretty stressful to me.

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Allen Jocko wrote: "Unicorn party actually sounds pretty stressful to me."
Ha! I guess if I actually ever saw a unicorn I would be stressed.. maybe a pony lol

message 6: by Kristi (last edited Feb 18, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I googled "Unicorn party" to see what might be stressful about it, I found this:

I have to say, unicorn parties stress me out too.

message 7: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I googled "Shell Shock", the videos are so sad, and to think that the men that suffered from it were considered cowards and not injured veterans is heartbreaking. I can't imagine ever being in such a terrifying situation.

I really enjoyed the 10 minute discussion on cussing. I feel the same way, if you can't manipulate the English language to adequately say what you want to be heard, it's a challenge! Resorting to cussing for any little thing feels like a verbal crutch.

I also thought that the Extreme Ownership v. accountability discussion was amazing! It opened my eyes to why I react the way I do sometimes to being accountable. I'd much rather feel like a trusted member of an outstanding team that is expected to own my part of the process than a 5 year old that has to be checked on all the time.

message 8: by Neil (new)

Neil Gallivan | 10 comments Kristi,
Ownership vs. accountability is a razors edge balance for me with my folks. This one challenges me the most...except for the ego thing...and detaching...and...well, I'm still a work in progress.

message 9: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Allen Kristi wrote: "I googled "Unicorn party" to see what might be stressful about it, I found this:

I have to say, unicorn parties stress me out too."

Kristi, inoculate!

message 10: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Charlotte wrote: "Kristi, inoculate!"

lol...next time I'm in the party store I'll go over and stand by the unicorn party. That'll be step 1.