Kenyons Minions discussion

Daily Chit-Chat > Thirsty for Recs Thursdays

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments description

Alrighty, you know when you have just finished that amazing book that you just couldn't put down? Left such an impression on you that you never thought you would find another like it again? Well this is the thread for you. This is where you can post up books that you have loved and are thirsty to read more like it. But just have no clue where to look.

message 2: by Cindyg (new)

Cindyg (brotherlover) | 248 comments Awesome...I'll keep checking in.

message 3: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Or can even start us off if there is a book of interest you are looking recs for. :)

message 4: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 01, 2014 07:50PM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments I finished the first trilogy in the Kushiel Universe
Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Chosen (Phèdre's Trilogy, #2) by Jacqueline Carey Kushiel's Avatar (Phèdre's Trilogy #3) by Jacqueline Carey
and it is absolutely amazing!
It's an epic fantasy with a large dose of romance, adventure and twists and turns. And the world building is REALLY good!
Highly recommended!

But now I'm craving for some other fantasy romance (not urban fantasy please, I've already got too many on my tbr shelf haha) books before I get on with the next trilogy in the series. Any recommendations?

message 5: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Ah went for the big ones didn't ya Arielle? lol. I've tried to read the first book of this series but to me it was rather heavy reading. Have you tried the Game of Thrones series? Or maybe this one? The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1) by Peter Orullian

message 6: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 02, 2014 08:38AM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "Ah went for the big ones didn't ya Arielle? lol. I've tried to read the first book of this series but to me it was rather heavy reading. Have you tried the Game of Thrones series? Or maybe this one..."

Hahaha no and I don't think I really want to read Game of Thrones... I like a large dose of romance that ends with a happy ending in the books I read.
I'll give the other one a try though, when I want to read some non romance stuff (which I have to admit, those are pretty rare times)
Thanks!

message 7: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Have you tried any of the Outlander series? I hear those are pretty romantic. Not sure about the high fantasy part of things though. I think there was some mystery, traveling around the world, a main couple doing stuff. Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

message 8: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 02, 2014 08:44AM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "Have you tried any of the Outlander series? I hear those are pretty romantic. Not sure about the high fantasy part of things though. I think there was some mystery, traveling around the world, a ma..."

Oooo not yet, but it's on my tbr shelf and I have copies at home of the first few books in the series. Been meaning to read them, but I just keep getting distracted with other books haha

message 9: by PepperP0t (last edited May 03, 2014 01:17PM) (new)

PepperP0t  | 180 comments Outlander is romance, but it's time travel which may or may not be enough fantasy for you.

have you tried Tairen Soul it's romantic fantasy with a shifter element and has a happy ending.

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) by C.L. Wilson King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3) by C.L. Wilson Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4) by C.L. Wilson Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5) by C.L. Wilson

message 10: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Pat (ireadthatbook.com) wrote: "Outlander is romance, but it's time travel which may or may not be enough fantasy for you.

have you tried Tairen Soul it's romantic fantasy with a shifter element and has a happy ending.

[bookc..."

EEEEEEEK I LOVE THAT SERIES
Ahem... Sorry 'bout that, but that series is one of my all time favorites :)
Highly recommended!!!

message 11: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Shadow Kin (The Half-Light City, #1) by M.J. Scott Blood Kin (The Half-Light City, #2) by M.J. Scott Iron Kin (The Half-Light City, #3) by M.J. Scott Fire Kin (The Half-Light City, #4) by M.J. Scott Have you heard of this series Arielle? I've read the first 2 and found them pretty interesting on the science fictionesque and some fantasy front. I didn't even realized they had a 4th one out though. So I'll definitely be adding that one too.

message 12: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "Shadow Kin (The Half-Light City, #1) by M.J. ScottBlood Kin (The Half-Light City, #2) by M.J. ScottIron Kin (The Half-Light City, #3) by M.J. ScottFire Kin (The Half-Light City, #4) by M.J. Scott Have you heard of this series Arielle? I've read the first 2 and found them pr..."

Yeah I've read the first one, but for some reason I didn't finish it... I'll get back to it. Thanks for reminding me :)

message 13: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments No prob. I have to get back as well. Just so many books so little time.

message 14: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 180 comments i read the first two of the half light series as well I don't know why I didn't go for books 3 & 4. You are so right about there being so little time Dhfan

Arielle did you try the Bronze Horseman series I haven't gotten around to it, it's supposed to be pretty romantic as well.

message 15: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Pat (ireadthatbook.com) wrote: "i read the first two of the half light series as well I don't know why I didn't go for books 3 & 4. You are so right about there being so little time Dhfan

Arielle did you try the Bronze Horseman..."

I was going to, because of the same reason you said, but I read a review of the last book in the trilogy (view spoiler) and it kind of turned me off from wanting to read the books :(

message 16: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments For some reason just now seeing your last post Arielle. Which series was your spoiler for?

Also curious if any one had any recs for these books?

Daughters of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #2) by Kate Quinn Luminous by Dawn Metcalf Attachments by Rainbow Rowell Queen of Kings by Maria Dahvana Headley Four Sisters, All Queens by Sherry Jones

message 17: by Arielle Rae (last edited May 12, 2014 08:49PM) (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "For some reason just now seeing your last post Arielle. Which series was your spoiler for?

Also curious if any one had any recs for these books?

Daughters of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #2) by Kate Quinn"

The Bronze Horseman series by Paullina Simons

message 18: by Ally (new)

Ally | 325 comments Hey guys I know it's not Thursday but I'm between books again and struggling to find something I want to read, I swear it shouldn't be this hard lol.

Obviously I love SK, I've also become a fan of Kresley cole, jeaninne frost, nalini singh, JR ward among others.

I got halfway through the first lords of the underworld book (can't remember what it's called) and just couldn't get into it, not sure if it's worth pushing through? Anyone read that series??

I have read Monings Fever series and while I liked parts of it I have to say it wasn't one of my favourites.

So any suggestions would be most welcome :)

message 19: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments I've read all of the Lords of the Underworld and can tell you I only liked maybe 2 or 3 books. Most of them I didn't like. It was an interesting concept snd the world was nice but the characters were not likable.

Did you want something like SK or are any recs for paranormal/urban fantasy ok!? I can list a few and you can em out if they interest you

message 20: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Ok here are a few series that I'd recommend. I'll even recommend some that I wasnt a fan of just in case you might like em.

The Others Series by Anne Bishop

The Unbound Series by Rachel Vincent

Alpha Pack Series by J.D. Tyler

Demonica and Lords of Deliverance Series by Larissa Ione

The Szolites Series by N. Isabelle Blanco

message 21: by Ally (new)

Ally | 325 comments Thanks Shari, that's great. I will have a look at those :)

message 22: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Ally wrote: "Hey guys I know it's not Thursday but I'm between books again and struggling to find something I want to read, I swear it shouldn't be this hard lol.

Obviously I love SK, I've also become a fan of..."

I'm halfway through the LOTU series and so far so good :) You should try Gena Showalter's other books; there's a series about Angels, and one about Atlantis

message 23: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments I did enjoy the Angel series by Gena Showalter. I loved that one

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Hannibal Lecterღ♥ღ I would recommend:

Feral Warriors series by Pamela Palmer

New Species series by Laurann Dohner

Dargon Lords series by Michelle M. Pillow

Spin-off series to Dragon Lords Lords of the Var series by Michelle M. Pillow

message 25: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Just came across this blog mentioning books with cheating heroes. I know how some readers wish to avoid reading about cheating at all in stories. So figured here is a list of some to totally avoid- http://houseonblacklake.com/200-roman...

message 26: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 21 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "Just came across this blog mentioning books with cheating heroes. I know how some readers wish to avoid reading about cheating at all in stories. So figured here is a list of some to totally avoid-..."

Thank you! Some of these sound absolutely horrible...

message 27: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Quite welcome Arielle. How have you been by the way? Haven't heard from you in while.

message 28: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "Just came across this blog mentioning books with cheating heroes. I know how some readers wish to avoid reading about cheating at all in stories. So figured here is a list of some to totally avoid-..."

It turns out, I had actually read a book on that list, lol ... Highland Vow, by Hannah Howell. I found it a fairly enjoyable read, although I did feel that the H was a dumbass. >.>

message 29: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Ya know, sometimes I don't think we can avoid even the dumbasses of fiction, lol. If we could, then I think we might not have anything to read at all.

message 30: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments lol, so true ... and I have come across a lot of dumbasses in fiction. It's a wonder I don't have any destroyed books or bald patches on my head from wanting to tear my hair out. XD

message 31: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Will second that. But shows what wonderful restraint we have. Even though I find myself making the strangle somebody position when thinking back on a few of them, lol.