Fringe Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark I'm always hesitant to mention this, because I don't want my writing life to bleed into my business life, but lately so many people have been said they wish they could afford professional editing, so I thought I should throw it out there. Check out http://phillipsedit.com/
for affordable editing solutions.

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Ooh, thanks for the info!

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1890 comments Mod
You sound most affordable! Now show me some credentials, sir!

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Thanks Courtney, I strive for affordability. It's more about helping people out than it is about making a ton of money.
As for credentials, I have been editing for almost seventeen years. Typing that makes me feel old.
I started as a copy-editor (then moved up to managing editor) of the (sadly, defunct) Death Magazine. It was a high-quality publication that featured non-fiction articles as well as horror fiction.
Since then I've been out on my own, freelancing and working on my writing.

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Oh wow, you worked for Death Magazine. Why did it go under? I always wondered.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Until now, my freelance work has been 100 percent referral. I've worked on both short fiction as well as novels. Recently, I decided to create a web-presence in order to expand my network.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark Lily, I'm surprised you've heard of us. Basically, we were never a very big fish and we were in a shrinking pond. Subscription dwindled over the years and we just couldn't afford to keep the doors open.

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) I've been looking into indie dark publishing for a long time lol

Yeah, the same thing seems to have happened to a lot of zines. Just couldn't keep up anymore.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1890 comments Mod
That's a resume!

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) I've bookmarked your page. $500 for full editing seems like a significant deal. How familiar are you with editing sci-fi and fantasy genres?

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark The genres I've worked with most are: Horror, Thriller and Sci-fi and fantasy. Both hard and soft sci-fi.
I also have some good experience with what I like to call general fiction, because I don't like the term "literary" fiction. To me, all writing is literary.
I don't have any experience with erotica and very little with romance, though I don't rule out books based on genre. What I don't know about the genre, I study up on. However, I would always give notice that I don't have a lot of experience with those genres.

message 12: by J.S. (new)

J.S. (jsedge) | 369 comments My book isn't finished yet, but I've bookmarked page :)