Goodreads Ireland discussion

Previous Quarterly Films > May-July Movie: Once

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the discussion thread for our May-July Irish movie of 2014, Once, directed by John Carney.

I look forward to discussing this movie with you all and reading you thoughts and opinions.

Declan. :)

message 2: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) I really enjoyed this film, I know some people think its just a film built around a song but I would disagree, I thought it was a nice gentle story. I look forward to reading other peoples thoughts.

My claim to fame, the girl in the film lived in Kilmuckridge for a bit, I live in Kilmuckridge, but I never met her - :-)

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul For me gentle story = very dull. The story just wasn't interesting or engaging in any way. The romance part just didn't work. He's twice her age for starters which is just breezed over.
Music was good but as a film I felt it was tie I could have better spent pulling my fingernails out.

message 4: by I-like-to-read (new)

I-like-to-read (akakate) @ Paul - some of us ladies like the older man :-)

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Doesn't excuse the boredom.

message 6: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn @ I like to read, Kilmuckridge is lovely part of the world. I used to stay in Ballygarrett a lot. And yes older men can have a lot o appeal it just depends on how much older i guess :-)

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) The rule of thumb for acceptable age gap in a relationship is half your age plus 7. ie the younger person in the relationship can't be younger than whatever half the older persons age is plus 7. So if your 40 the other person shouldn't be younger then 27

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul which makes this wrong then . if maths proves it it must be right ;-)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't find it boring as I enjoyed the music, but the rest if the film could gave been condensed into a fifteen-minute short film

I though Hansard and Iglova had good chemistry but it was just a lonely man being friend-zoned by the only womam he seemed to be talking to.

I'm in an unusual position of fence-sitting: I don't rate it -and can't think of it- as a movie. Byt watching it was a pleasant experience.

message 10: by Serf (new)

Serf Everyone has different taste in films though. I really liked Lincoln. I thought his acting was amazing and the story was great. My boyfriend absolutely hated it and stopped watching it after 30 minutes.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul It is true Seraphina. And I know some people really enjoyed this film . I didn't at all but it has very high ratings on IMDB and rotten tomatoes so it is definitely to some peoples taste

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's been rightly turned into a musical. That's its proper incarnation.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) @Declan It has and I've heard good things about it as a stage show

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

When it gets to the Bord Gáis theatre, I think I'll head out to watch it.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Thanks for agreeing Jamie Lynn. In real life they met when he was in his Thirties and she was thirteen. Five years later they started a full relationship. I'm sorry but that creeps me the hell out and I find it difficult to detach that from the film

message 16: by Serf (new)

Serf Here's an interview describing how they got together. I don't know if it's as creepy as u think?
http://www.reverseshot.com/article/in...

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul No still creepy as hell. sorry Seraphina but the line that says she was 17 him 37 when they started filming highlights the creepiness for me

message 18: by Serf (new)

Serf But did they get together then? I know people with 13-15 year age gaps very much in love but ya if it's when one is still is a teenager I can see the issue

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul they got together when she was 18 and then broke up a year or so later.

message 20: by Serf (new)

Serf Ok fair point

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Nothing to do with the film I know

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments I have the DVD and will watch the film again to see if it holds up. I went to see it in the theaters at least 3 times, and would have gone to see it everyday:) I must confess that Glen Hansard and the Frames are just about my favorite group. I've gone to Pittsburgh (5 hours away) twice to see him/them, and saw them 3 times locally. Last year though I chose to do Bloomsdays instead as it was my birthday and he was playing at the grotty club I've seen him at twice. It's one of those places where everyone stands to see the show, and although I am tall, I seem to always be behind a line of men well over 6 feet tall. And the neighborhood is definitely edgy. My son doesn't even like to go to this club. And I have to say that I never thought Marketa Iglova really could hold her own solo.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hansard is quite charismatic. In spite of his success, I think he could have been more successful if people dudn't see him as Outspan from the Commitments.

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments It's funny about age gaps. It's awful when it's 15 and 30 but not so bad when it's 70 and 85.

message 25: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Very true Susan, I think ultimately it's about maturity and not about age so a gap always seems worse when the people involved are younger.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I think you summed it up very well, Trelawn.

message 27: by Mo (new)

Mo | 81 comments I thoroughly enjoyed the movie when it came out and have seen it a couple of times since. The music just blew me away. I've seen Glen Hansard with and without the Frames, with and without Marketa several times. He is a talented musician and performer. I don't think I've ever seen anyone engage audiences the way he does.
The musical version in Chicago was lovely.
I'm looking forward to watching the movie again this month.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you prefer the movie to the musical, Mo?

message 29: by Paul (new)

Paul Thats why ive never read Jane Eyre ;-)

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) To be fair Jane Eyre was written in a time when that kind of age gap wasn't unusual. Different times. Different rules

message 31: by Paul (new)

Paul Different accepted norms at least

message 32: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn The Bronte girls had fairly normal relationships but were influenced by the exploits of their brother who had so many issues.

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bdegar) | 4626 comments Mo wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed the movie when it came out and have seen it a couple of times since. The music just blew me away. I've seen Glen Hansard with and without the Frames, with and without Marketa ..."

Mo- the musical isn't coming to Washington DC until 2015. I am not sold on the idea of a musical but I have heard good things about it.

message 34: by Brian (new)

Brian O'Sullivan | 280 comments Just watched the movie again last night and I still found it as enjoyable as the first time I saw it in the theatre a few years back. I think the real attraction for me was the revelation of how two talented creative people work together (almost at a different level of understanding) to create something quite beautiful - the scene in the music shop where they first play together is probably the core of the movie.
Apart from that, I think the relationship elements are a bit light but at least they didn't finish up with a cheesy joining of the two main characters.

I did laugh out loud at Paul's comments on the age difference. That difference isn't really apparent in the film so that came as a bit of a surprise. I'd have to agree that such an age difference certainly makes the relationship ... difficult. Wouldn't it be funny if they set the musical a decade later when the difference are all that more apparent?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Without the shop scene it wouldn't have been as memorable and I can't imagine it being the same word-of-mouth hit otherwise.

I think a decade later the age difference wouldn't have been an issue. I can't see the love angle being so charming, though. There'd be a lot more cynicism expected from the characters, I feel.

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Really the film is about two people coming together to create this song. The underlying romantic tension is just an added element. The representation of that creative process, of the Dublin music scene and the recording of the song (locking themselves in a studio for 48hrs and not being familiar with playing to a click track) was all very true to how it is for all bands trying to get their break. At least it seems it from what I've know of it

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

But would the creation of the song feel as significant without the romantic tension? I just don't think it would.

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Probably not. It certainly adds to it. Or more for the viewer it presents us with the story of the song. Most songs are written about someone or a particular event, certainly when your talking about singer song writers. There is always a story behind a song. Just normally we are unaware of that story

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you might credit some musicians a little too much, Emma. I'm sure what you say stands true for good songwriters, but I've too many songs that felt like they were pulled out of the writer's arse. :)

message 40: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn For example? :-)

message 41: by Paul (new)

Paul A guy on the bus this morning was listening to his MP3 excessively loud and he had Oasis on. Now there are some lyrics hauled right out of the writers arse. So so bad. Wonderwall is lyrical vomit and its not even close to the worst.

message 42: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn ok i'll grant you that one. James Blunt's first album largely makes no sense lyric wise but I still love it :-)

message 43: by Paul (new)

Paul But that 3 Wise Man song could only be the product of a twisted mind

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, Paul. The britpop scene was great for that kind of abstract vibe that meant everything and nothing. Oasis, Blur, The stone Roses were all masters at that kind of stuff.

I was thinking more like Sisqo and whoever wrote the Vega Bus for the Venga Boys.

message 45: by Paul (new)

Paul On a side note Kia produce a people carrier called the Venga. Could you really buy yourself a Venga Bus.
I loved Blur but found Oasis a bit too non sensical. And Pulp outshone them all. Song writing genius that is Jarvis Cocker .
But drivel. look no further than that god awful Mambo number 5. The guy actually boasted that it only took him half an hour to write.

message 46: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn @ Paul if you have an issue with Wisemen take it up with Uncle Bryn :-) ah the venga boys" only slightly more annoying than Aqua's Dr Jones

message 47: by Paul (new)

Paul To be fair the scene from Gavin and Stacey with Bryn singing James Blunt is pure class. Now that a musical scene that works

message 48: by Trelawn (new)

Trelawn Loved Pulp's Common People, classic :-)

message 49: by Paul (last edited May 06, 2014 01:51AM) (new)

Paul My two favourite lines . The mans a genius

She came from Greece she had a thirst for knowledge
She studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College, that's where I caught her eye. ..........................

You'll never watch your life slide out of view, and dance and drink and screw
Because there's nothing else to do.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

The first blur song that came to mind was On Your Own, Paul. Have a listen to that again. ;)

And Pulp shone with them for one album. This is Hardcore might be the worst thing I've ever spent my money on. But Different Class was class.

@Trelawn. Dr. Jones was brilliant.

« previous 1 3