Space Opera Fans discussion

Author & Blogger Shop-Talk > Site to rate story ideas

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:30PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) People already do that on WattPad and FictionPress. It's brutally hard to get readers to take notice of original short stories that are not fanfiction based off of some major blockbuster movie. I throw uber-rough drafts of stuff up on Wattpad so I can coordinate edits with my tiny army of beta-readers (and then pull it down for final edits before publication), but I almost never pull in new people who weren't sent there in the first place by me.

www.wattpad.com
www.fictionpress.net

With so many free full-length, fully edited e-books out there nowadays, you can't even give it away, much less un-edited story concepts.

message 2: by Anna (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:12PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Scott wrote: "Thanks for the feedback, Anna. I'm thinking you're right. I'd hoped that reading short, catchy-sounding concepts would be more appealing then full stories, but it seems probably not. I posted this ..."

I don't... My first book in my series is free. The Chosen One It's not purely 'space opera' so I don't push it here, but it's got a sci-fi flare (just because in MY world I am god, so I do what I want :-) If people like my stuff, they keep reading. If not, it didn't cost them anything (though there are some people who like to savage others in the reviews).

I really prefer to 'listen' to what people want and get to know them, not lurk like some vulture. I hated those whole share/tweet/blog groups and it felt like somebody sucked the brains out of my head when I tried to listen to the so-called 'experts' and do the whole 'buy my book' spam. I'd really prefer to put any energy I have leftover after my 'real life' into writing my next book or LARPing or interacting in some fandom, not blogging.

Sorry ... not very helpful. Writing for me is just a means of entertaining myself. If some people want to throw a couple of bucks my way to buy one of my stories, then so much the better. :-)

message 3: by Anna (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:04PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) BTW: here's a helpful article about social media by Joel Frielander:

http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2014/0...