For the Love of Broadway! discussion

Musicals based on books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris | 39 comments Which ones have you read? I've read "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Wicked". I have "Les Miserables" and am thinking about adding "The Curious Case of Dr. Jekle (sp!) and Mr. Hyde". How about you?

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah | 127 comments Mod
I want to read Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, and Les Miserables.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 39 comments "Wicked" and "Phantom" are AWESOME! I just went to the eBooks store on here and they have eBook copies of "Phantom" and "Les Miserables". I think they might be in French thorough, but I was able to find "Les Miserables" in English in the Nook/Barnes and Noble store for free. Project Gutenberg might have them too, I'm not sure, but I know that Nook has "Les Miserables" in English, as that's where I got my copy.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 39 comments *though*

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Hughes (sydneymariehughes) | 2 comments I've read them all...I actually read Les Mis before I saw or heard the music. It's really interesting how they go from books to musicals.
Wicked - Not at all like the musical. I wasn't particularly impressed with the book even as a stand-alone, although I know that's the unpopular opinion.
Les Mis - A classic for good reason! It's heavy reading, but I love it...I've read it 4 times! I will admit that I lean towards classic literature, but it is one of my favorite books of all time, and I appreciate it even without the musical.
Phantom - That's a hard one for me. I love the musical, and there's a lot about the book that I like as well. I recommend it to any fans of the musical, because it gives really interesting background and character insight. However, the writing is quite awful (in my opinion at least). The author was a journalist and "Phantom" was his first attempt at narrative writing. I think his inexperience shows.
In summary - while all of the books are vastly different, they are ALL worthy of a read. Especially to fans of the musicals!

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah | 127 comments Mod
Thank you!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 39 comments My dad read "Les Miserables" long before the musical came out. He says it gives great character insights, despite the fact that it's a long book. He says I would understand the musical more if I read it, so I'll give it a try!

message 8: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Hughes (sydneymariehughes) | 2 comments It definitely does! I played Cosette in Les Mis, and the book gave me SO much more insight into her character. Most people see her as flat and one-dimensional, but after reading the book, I had so much more background, and was able to flesh her out a bit more. It was really helpful!

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 1 comments Also, Matilda is perfect in book and musical form. (in my opinion.)

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 39 comments I forgot about "Matilda"! I love that book!

message 11: by Rylee (new)

Rylee (theneverlandgal) | 16 comments Hamilton is too