The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

The Diary of a Young Girl
This topic is about The Diary of a Young Girl
Rory Book Discussions > The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel As April draws to a close, I thought it would be best to open up the discussion on the Book of the Month: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.

Here is my review: I gave it 5 stars.

As a fan of Gilmore Girls, I have slowly started the Rory Gilmore book challenge. After finding a bookclub on Goodreads that was dedicated to that challenge, I decided to give it a shot. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank has always been on my to read list as it was never assigned to me in school to read. I have only read pieces of the novel, participate in the play, and saw many different film adaptations of the diary, so I had a general idea of how the novel unfolded.

A quote from the diary that struck out to me the most was, "Writing in a diary is a really strange experience for someone like me. Not only because I've never written anything before, but also because it seems to me that later on neither I nor anyone else will be interested n the musings of a thirteen-year-old schoolgirl." I instanly thought if only she knew how her diary has helped explained to adolescents across the world about the horrors of being a child in the Holocaust. Although, Ms. Frank never saw her writings as a success, she did fufill her dream of becoming a best seller author.

Her writings are well beyond a typical thirteen-year-old style of writing, and she is often poetic with her imagery. The Diary of a Young Girl is a must read for anyone who never got the chance to read this book in school.

What did y'all think of this book? Were you blown away like I was by this novel? I hope one day I can go and visit the attic to see what her life was like during that time.

Ashley (morethanfairytales) Anne's account of her family's life during the Holocaust is both powerful and mesmerizing. I found something new to take away from it every time I read it, first as an adolescent and now as an adult. A few years ago, I got the opportunity to visit Amsterdam and walk through the apartment where she hid. It was a very sobering experience, and something I'd recommend for anyone who can make the trip.

One note: Although Anne does show a lot of imagination and evoke a lot of emotion in her account of life in hiding, no part of it is fiction and it shouldn't be categorized as a novel.

Rachel Ashley wrote: "Anne's account of her family's life during the Holocaust is both powerful and mesmerizing. I found something new to take away from it every time I read it, first as an adolescent and now as an adul..."

Interesting point about the novel aspect. I always knew it is a non fiction book, but I have heard kids today talk about Anne's diary as a novel. Seems to be a disconnect with today's youth and teaching it.

Angie | 2 comments I can't believe I'm just reading this now at age 28. I was crying my eyes at at the afterword.

Rachel Angie wrote: "I can't believe I'm just reading this now at age 28. I was crying my eyes at at the afterword."

I am 26 and it took me a long time too to read it.

Selena I first read this when I was about the age Anne was when she began her diary. I didn't appreciate its literary value (I connected with her certainly) until I re-read it a few years ago. I also went to the Anne Frank museum a few years ago, before I re-read and it really brought the book alive. Another thing that really helped was Anne Frank: The Book, the Life, the Afterlife which brought the diary (all versions), the film and the play together, which was great.

Shriya (gautamshriya) | 12 comments Yet another person, who read it quite late. Here's my review:

http://tometravelling.blogspot.in/201...